SARA/ SOUTHERN ARIZONA ROCKETRY ASSOCIATION

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Due to life events that required my full attention at home, I haven't launched anything at the SARA club site since June of last year. I have however kept myself busy in the hobby with four new additions to my fleet. My new additions consist of a 5.5" by 56" Little John with interchangeable motor mount, a 5.5" by 75" SAAB Rb05A that was re-purposed from my LOC Phoenix, a 5.5" by 94" AGM 33 Pike, and last but not least, a 7.5" by 97" Little John that was re-purposed from my 7.5" Pike. All four of these rockets were scratch built using LOC components or parts from retired members of my fleet.
Now that things in my world are much improved, I am planning on making a return (weather permitting) at the August 22nd club launch with the three 5.5" diameter birds. I am planning on bringing my own launch equipment with wireless launch controller. All three rockets utilize the larger 15/15 rail buttons, so I will only have my 15/15 rail on hand that day. The Little John will be going up on a AT J250FJ, the SAAB will be going up on a AT K1103X, and the Pike will be going up on a AT L850W. I will be launching the 7.5" Little John this fall on a AT L1365M and the 5.5" Little John on a trio of AT 36/360 loads yet to be determined.

Group Shot.jpg

Little John 5.5.jpg

1x54mm.jpg

3x38mm.jpg

SAAB Rb05A .jpg

AGM 33 Pike 5.5.jpg

5.5 next to 7.5x97.jpg

Level 1 success with my MIRAGE...... THANKS Terry G and Steve L. NARAM WAS A BLAST.

Due to life events that required my full attention at home, I haven't launched anything at the SARA club site since June of last year. I have however kept myself busy in the hobby with four new additions to my fleet. My new additions consist of a 5.5" by 56" Little John with interchangeable motor mount, a 5.5" by 75" SAAB Rb05A that was re-purposed from my LOC Phoenix, a 5.5" by 94" AGM 33 Pike, and last but not least, a 7.5" by 97" Little John that was re-purposed from my 7.5" Pike. All four of these rockets were scratch built using LOC components or parts from retired members of my fleet.
Now that things in my world are much improved, I am planning on making a return (weather permitting) at the August 22nd club launch with the three 5.5" diameter birds. I am planning on bringing my own launch equipment with wireless launch controller. All three rockets utilize the larger 15/15 rail buttons, so I will only have my 15/15 rail on hand that day. The Little John will be going up on a AT J250FJ, the SAAB will be going up on a AT K1103X, and the Pike will be going up on a AT L850W. I will be launching the 7.5" Little John this fall on a AT L1365M and the 5.5" Little John on a trio of AT 36/360 loads yet to be determined.

Looks awesome! I love the K1103X reload! Looking forward to seeing the flights and the wireless launch setup.

Level 1 success with my MIRAGE...... THANKS Terry G and Steve L. NARAM WAS A BLAST.

It certainly was, being able to fly for a whole week was a blast. It will take a while to rebuild my AP stash after it however! My next project is getting the lighting finished on the solar flare for the October night launch. LED's , LIPO batteries, wiring harness's and battery sleds galore. Planning on flying it with a K540 metalstorm, so it should be an impressive flight.

Last edited:
I came across a couple more NARAM57 pics of my Aerotech Mirage Level 1 . No launch pics, all the launch stuff is on video and its such a pain to get them on you tube then over to the forum. Ed an Terry going to the pad and at the pad.

IMG_20150728_084911447.jpg

IMG_20150728_085712756.jpg

Man, I'm glad I clicked on this thread and saw these terrific scratch LOC kits! I have some 5.5" and 7.5" LOC tubing lying around and have been comtemplating on what to build. I'm thinking 5.5" SAAB and 7.5" Little John are the way to go. I totally dig those paint schemes as well!

Those are some cool lookin birds. Did you get to launch and any pics?

Forecast has the temp in the 80 to 90 degree range, no rain possibility till the afternoon and winds 7 mph. Looks good to me!

Forecast has the temp in the 80 to 90 degree range, no rain possibility till the afternoon and winds 7 mph. Looks good to me!

I sure hope you all have a super launch and perfect weather Sunday. Wish I could be there.

I got to be there!!!!!! Flew my mirage on an H180-M. Thanks to the breeze. I did walk ..A big thanks to the students who found my rocket.THANKYOU.....And congrats Brett. Great cert L2 flight. It was good to see you all and THANKYOU S.A.R.A. crew.

Good to see you today! Dual deploy was certainly paying off today. Do not forget the upcoming night launch on October 10! Assuming the winds are not too strong I will be launching my Solar Flare on a K540 MetalStorm.

Good to see you today! Dual deploy was certainly paying off today. Do not forget the upcoming night launch on October 10! Assuming the winds are not too strong I will be launching my Solar Flare on a K540 MetalStorm.

Now that I see that I can work in a launch on a weekend . I just might make that night launch.. Will give a try.

I will be at OktoberFest in Vegas, and I know that a couple of other from SARA will be there also.

Even still SARA has a great club launch and the weather this time of year is great for flying !

Octoberfest 2015....??? Coming around again...Time and rockets fly as we have fun. lol

I saw someone using a strobe hung on the recovery harness. It might have been miles but I am not sure, anyone know of any small light strobes we can use for this?

You all have a super fine "Night Launch" Saturday night there in southern Arizona ....Should be an awesome time!!!!!

Hi Randy:

I was using a Paralite, made by Leading Edge Rocketry (~$55), but they are no longer made. I bought some more Nightbows and plan to make a version of the Paralite which means that it could be any color instead of just one. Nightbows aren't as bright and it will end up costing me just as much in parts.

I don't know of another product that would substitute without some modification. The Nightbows hibernate once armed and only flash after launch is detected, my version or a flashing flashlight would run continuously once turned on.

I saw someone using a strobe hung on the recovery harness. It might have been miles but I am not sure, anyone know of any small light strobes we can use for this?

Thanks miles. That light was so awesome, bummed they don't make them anymore.

How's the weather looking for tonight's? Hoping to come down from PHX and see some big stuff fly.

Well another great night launch is in the books. Great conditions, pitch dark and almost no wind. The "Solar Flare" had a great flight on a spectacular K540 metal storm. Some of the sparks hung in mid-air and burned for longer then I have seen on previous metal storms. The 2000 LEDS on the ring fin really lit up the rocket as you would expect with a 20 amp power circuit. I hope someone got some good pictures of the flight. The large crowd seemed to really enjoyed the flights. The next night launch will be at the Desert Heat launch and I am sure their will be a SARA contingent at next years LDRS at Lucern. Light up the night!

Last edited:
Well another great night launch is in the books. Great conditions, pitch dark and almost no wind. The "Solar Flare" had a great flight on a spectacular K540 metal storm. The some of the sparks hung in mid-air and burned for longer then I have seen on previous metal storms. The 2000 LEDS on the ring fin really lit up the rocket as you would expect with a 20 amp power circuit. I hope someone got some good pictures of the flight. The large crowd seemed to really enjoyed the flights. The next night launch will be at the Desert Heat launch and I am sure their will be a SARA contingent at next years LDRS at Lucern. Light up the night!

Great flight Terry! Thank you SARA for another amazing Night launch!
Here's some teasers.
SARA001.JPGSARA002.JPGSARA003.JPG

Rest are being uploaded, enjoy!
https://fotos.nahcpj.com/sara_10102015

Back