SARA/ SOUTHERN ARIZONA ROCKETRY ASSOCIATION

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazyed

Reaction score
Any S.A.R.A. info/ pics/personal launch reports ***** Heading down for great company, clean air, and some great rocket fun!. Of coarse there is all sorts of info in this thread/ mostly to do with SARA launch info and pics from monthly launchs- The cool "mid week mid month" fun blast launches weve been doing. personal launch info and Any SARA info . Looks like NARAM 57 is going to be BIG -BIG- FUN !!!!
We are going to have a Blast:cool:\
There are some recent Desert Heat pics on page 8.

0709030807.jpg

IMG_20150210_115506_937.jpg

IMG_20150210_120246_009.jpg

Last edited:
I will be at OktoberFest in Vegas, and I know that a couple of other from SARA will be there also.

Even still SARA has a great club launch and the weather this time of year is great for flying !

Hi,
Yes, some people will be at Oktoberfest, I'm pretty sure that Art and Miles will be in Jean. However there should be a good turnout and a mixture of LPR to HPR. I'm planning on attending but not flying and Terry G said he's going. Not sure about Dan.
Kevin

Cool. looking forward to some great fun and company. And yep,, looks like great flying weather. Getting rockets and accessories packed up ,gassed up and ready to roll.:) (FLY)

And how are the roads coming in from the north side these days?

I'm not sure about to the north, the roads from south are in decent shape. Looked like Reservation road had been graded about a month ago.
Kevin

Are you bringing an easy up? If not you are welcome to share mine, it's nice to get out of the sun even in October. Look for the white mazda wagon.

Are you bringing an easy up? If not you are welcome to share mine, it's nice to get out of the sun even in October. Look for the white mazda wagon.
see you there will be in dirty gold Taurus(Ed and Co.)

Hello Terry,Ken,Kevin. Sure was good to meet you guys. All the launch activities were great and the launch field is awesome. Thanks to all the SARA people who made it possible and for their and your time. Looking forward to next time ED & Co.

It was pleasure to have you there! I got so busy doing L2 certs and getting my "Carbon Footprint" rocket prepped and launched that I did not have as much time to talk rockets as I intended (which I enjoy as much as launching). I am going to try to get my cluster fire igniters dipped and tested by the next launch. I want to fly my 24 mm Tres on three F24W reloads. One advantage we have in Tucson is that we can fly year round and we are now getting into prime launch weather. The site we used today is the one we use for most launches. For our Desert Heat two day launch in March and our October Night Launch we use the RC field a little farther to the south with its Ramada's and flush toilets. We are also going to be hosting NARAM in July of 2015.

Terry ,You all had some very cool flights and speaking of clusters:y: I think I might resign myself to using the G-64 or G-53 reloads in my 4-29SS. I think with a 2 engine cluster a delayed start( no matter how slight ) you run the risk of less than perfectly vertical flight. I have had great-straight flights with the 64's and 53's. Coincidence maybe ? Is there a for sure way to get to 2 motors up to pressure at the same time? Would 4 motors give better results? Say 4 of the new F-44's ? And sorry,, wrong forum for this topic. pic of 2 G-53-7FJ straight up We are planning to attend Nov. 16th club launch And trying for GHS.
View attachment 188535

Last edited:
Hi Ed,
It was good flying yesterday. Sorry we didn't have a chance to talk more. LCO took more time than I thought. Hopefully the November launch will be as nice as yesterday. I could use a little cooler weather though. I should have the big Astrobee done by then and maybe a Wildman Jr. I'll have to see how much OT is involved at work.
See you at the field soon.
Kevin

Sounds like it was a good launch as always !

Looking forward to next months launch !

p.s. - Terry, I have a box for you !

Hi guys- I'm a member of SARA, but am not a frequent flyer, and am wondering if anyone can give me guidance on how to schedule my L2 cert? I couldn't find any details on the SARA site, and NAR doesn't get into specifics either.
A) Need to find the cert team - anyone willing and able to do so in the Dec/Jan time frame?
B) Taking the test - I assume this happens the morning of the launch, but to whom do I speak to get this scheduled?
C) what else am I missing? I have the motor, purchased for the cert attempt, so I won't need vendor support.

Thanks!

Dave

Hi Dave,
Talk to Steve L about the tests. I think he keeps a few extras in his truck. I don't think you have to take the written test the morning of the launch but you can if you want. There are several of us that can witness your flight after you've passed your test. I'll be at this months launch but I'm not sure about December, I may be at the GHS launch in Phoenix.
Kevin

Hi Dave,
Ken Weaver here, SARA member at large.
In case you do not have it, here is a link to NAR's info, on the certification procedure and requirements.
https://www.nar.org/high-power-rocketry-info/level-2-hpr-certification/
The written test is available from Steve Lubliner.
If you cannot get in touch with Steve, for the written test, you can request one from NAR headquarters!
There are several people that can proctor the written test., which does not have to be taken on the same day as your flight.
Once you past the written test, you have up to a year to do your cert flight, before having to take the written test again.
There is usaully some one at our launches for your cert flight.
I would be glad to be one of the member's of your cert team.
On the day of your certification flight, be prepared for several questions, that may include (but not limited to) items, about construction, CG, CP, all up weight, motor type, size, impluse, thrust to weight ratios, recovery items, expected altitude, how you arrived at the items, etc.
Simulation programs you used.
You may also wish to speak with other members, such as Terry G, Art Just, Miles Anderson just to name a few.
If you have furher questions, ask!
We are here to help when and where possible!
Good Luck! Look forward to seeing you at the launches!

Last edited:
Thanks Guys! I dropped Steve a note yesterday based on an address I found on the SARA site, but I was surprised to see @compuserve.com...didn't know they were still around, so I decided to post here too; glad I did!
I will request a test from NAR, since my goal is to get my certification flight in December or January. I imagine that the test arrives in some sealed package that must only be opened in the presence of the proctor?
Thanks for the specific guidance!

Cheers,
Dave

You need two L2 or one L3 member for a level 2 cert flight so it is not too hard to setup on site. It is not a bad idea to take the test first and then do the flight at a later date (less stress and less need to rush). I will be at the November launch and plan to be at the 3 day GHS launch in December (although it seems like any multi-day launch I plan to attend gets cancelled at the last minute). If you decide to do the test at the Nov. launch you can still bring the rocket if you want and we can give it a quick look over. I gave an L2 test last launch so he might be doing his certification flight this month. I usually fly one or two rockets and then shoot the breeze or help with cert flights the rest of the time.

Last edited:
Thanks for the offer, Terry- I'm not sure if I'll be able to make the November launch, but if I can, I like your idea of testing first. I am of the camp that says you don't fly naked, so I need the additional time to get my L2 candidate looking purdy. Testing in advance will give a clearer mind on flight day, for sure.

Just an FYI!
From NAR's website:
https://www.nar.org/high-power-rocketry-info/level-2-hpr-certification/
Formal Certification ProcedureThe procedures for Level 2 certification are documented below.
2. Certification Teams

1. The certification team consists of two individuals who are a minimum of 18 years old and are members in good standing of the NAR. The certification team members must be unrelated to the applicant. Members of Tripoli, unless they are also members of the NAR, cannot participate on a certification team.
  2. At least one of the team members must be already certified to a level equal to the certification level being attempted, e.g., a team member must be certified at Level 2 to judge another individual’s Level 2 certification attempt.
  3. Level 2 certifications may be administered by a single NAR Level 3 certified individual; the two certified individuals requirement is waived in this case.
  4. Certification attempts must be witnessed in person by the certification team. Video recordings of a certification flight are not acceptable.

You need two L2 or one L3 member for a level 2 cert flight so it is not too hard to setup on site. It is not a bad idea to take the test first and then do the flight at a later date (less stress and less need to rush). I will be at the November launch and plan to be at the 3 day GHS launch in December (although it seems like any multi-day launch I plan to attend gets cancelled at the last minute). If you decide to do the test at the Nov. launch you can still bring the rocket if you want and we can give it a quick look over. I gave an L2 test last launch so he might be doing his certification flight this month. I usually fly one or two rockets and then shoot the breeze or help with cert flights the rest of the time.

Thanks- I may have misled- I am comfortable with the NAR requirements, my concern was the practical execution of them at a SARA launch. I'd hate to show up for my cert flight knowing I need to take a proctored exam and fly with 2 witnesses only to discover that it's a bad month for cert witnesses, etc.

Sounds like it's not too hard to find witnesses tho.

Hey all.. Looking forward to a big Blast this Sunday and a straight flight this time with my LOC 4-29SS. Doing 2 G53FJ's . Terry-Ken-Kevin...hope to see you all again 10-4.. And the rest...Looks like great launch weather for all the cool rockets flying on everything from 1/2A to ???

Hi Ed,
Should be a great day for flying and good group showing up to fly HPR.
See you Sunday.
Kevin

I am planning on being there with something !

Part of Icarus Rocketry (ASU Rocketry) will be there as well and a couple should be attempting cert flights.

Look forward to seeing everyone !

Last edited by a moderator:
Gonna have a Blast in the beautiful Tucson area desert Sunday. If there are calm winds I want to try the Barracuda with a low and slow F15-6.:y:

Hey, SARA. I understand you are hosting NARAM this year. If you were to guess, what will the weather be... 127F?
Haven't you heard?

2013-07-03-Santa-Clarita-News-Z1-1-1-Its-a-Dry-Heat1.jpg

LOL, Kit! My rejoinder to that comment is always "Sure it is, just ask the poodle in the microwave...."

(for our younger audience, remember there was a time when microwave ovens were NEW. A lady tried to dry her dog in one...most likely an oft repeated urban legend, but in this case it's funny)

Last edited:
Back