SARA/ SOUTHERN ARIZONA ROCKETRY ASSOCIATION

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shp1255,Your thoughts would be useful, as any and all input is welcome, please introduce your self. :handshake:
I do not like to say hey you! :wink:
Also great post Brett!
FYI to all, to be a LCO you do not have to be a TSO.
While a TSO is certainly useful, it is more necessary for performing RSO duties.
SARA welcomes any and all assistance, especially LCO duty.
Ken

Last edited:
:cool:Getting ready to work and fly Tues.:cool: Class 1 D-E-F-G-H flights if time permits

Last edited:
Got two questions for the SARA guys:
1) Would I be able to ground test my dual deploy system on site? I highly doubt that UA will let me test on campus with such short notice and I don't have a backyard to test it at.
2) I have a friend that has a quadcopter with a camera mount. Would he be able to fly it somewhere away from the crowd and get some cool areal footage of the launches?

:cool:Getting ready to work and fly Tues.:cool: Class 1 D-E-F-G-H flights if time permits
Great!
Looking forward to a productive field work time and fun flying!:)
Just to clarify, Class 1 rockets:
14 CFR 101.22(a):
Class 1 Model Rocket means an amateur rocket that: Uses no more than 125 grams (4.4 ounces) of propellant;

1. Uses a slow-burning propellant;
  2. Is made of paper, wood, or breakable plastic;
  3. Contains no substantial metal parts; and
  4. Weighs no more than 1,500 grams (53 ounces), including the propellant.
Rockets Away!:)

Awilddragon,
I cannot give you an official answer, for that you I suggest you send an email to SARA President or NAR Senior Advisor.
That said, this is what I would foresee as some of the requirements to fly RC at SARA/TIMPA site, the pilot needs to have current AMA membership card on person and have prior approval from SARA RSO, and check-in at Timpa field, and as you have said, at all times fly away from the spectators including, take-off and landing and below 400 Feet.
As far as ground testing your dual deployment, I would suggest checking with the RSO and expect to take normal safety precautions, such as standoff distant ground cover clearances, etc.

Last edited:
So Folks,
I heard from the SARA board.
Below is the reply!
"The pilot shall coordinate his flights with the SARA RSO if he is operating in the vicinity of the SARA launch.
The pilot shall comply with all TIMPA and AMA requirements to be eligible to fly.
The SARA RSO can ask to see the pilot's AMA card and deny flights in the vicinity of the SARA launch if one is not produced!
(The SARA RSO may also notify TIMPA personnel if a non-AMA pilot attempts to fly elsewhere within the TIMPA property).
The SARA RSO also reserves the right to question the pilot about his flight plans and experience and to deny flights in the vicinity of the SARA launch
site, if he is not satisfied that the pilot can execute a safe flight.
The ground check of the recovery system is possible pending review by the RSO"
Hope that clarifies things.
Ken

Thanks Ken for your hard work and cordinating our work/fly midweek fun blast!!!. Thanks Brett for the hard work-DD DONUTS & COFFE...Thanks Miles for your hard work and your equipment. Thank to my son James and wife Valerie for there hard work. We had some cool flights. Nice big G and H motor burns. And C - E as well. The Wireless launch system Miles brought is very nice.(thanks Miles). See you all next time...Dec12 launch

IMG_20151117_133513_979.jpg

Last edited:
Anytime we want to fly just call. Class 1 rockets easy, Class 2 rockets, doable just need more time for planning and clearances.
Thank you Ed and all, for a great job!
"Thanks Brett for the hard work-DD DONUTS & COFFE...Thanks Miles for your hard work and your equipment. Thanks to James and Valerie for their hard work. ...The Wireless launch system Miles brought is very nice.(thanks Miles.)"
And good flying.
Thanks again to all!
Ken

Last edited:
Hi All:

I'm planning on getting to the launch site at 8am on Sunday with a pair of rototillers (got the second one running). I'm aiming to finish the area around the mid power, high power and K pads. The L pad would be a bonus. If someone wants to pilot the second tiller they are welcome to join me.

Thanks,

Miles

Got two questions for the SARA guys:
1) Would I be able to ground test my dual deploy system on site? I highly doubt that UA will let me test on campus with such short notice and I don't have a backyard to test it at.
2) I have a friend that has a quadcopter with a camera mount. Would he be able to fly it somewhere away from the crowd and get some cool areal footage of the launches?

On the quad subject, I fly mine but as part of the deal with timpa was an ama license. The original answer was no but after ensuring that I would not be using goggles, be in los, ama and in GPS enabled it was approved. If your friend does it, please be responsible so we don't lose the privilege.

On the quad subject, I fly mine but as part of the deal with timpa was an ama license. The original answer was no but after ensuring that I would not be using goggles, be in los, ama and in GPS enabled it was approved. If your friend does it, please be responsible so we don't lose the privilege.
We didn't fly the drone. My rocket had an issue so I didn't bring it out to the range, nor did we bring the quad out.

On a different note my friend who was certing on the Darkstar mini with a VMAX motor was unable to find the rocket post landing. Ive attached a picture of it. It should have a audio generator that will last a few days. Additionally we also lost the payload section of another flight after a failed sep. We found the fin can for the rocket, but the payload fell without a chute. There was a data acquisition system on board. I don't have a picture of the setup, thought it was a blue nose cone, orange payload section with a red avionics sled. If anyone finds either item, please let me know. We would love to get these items back.
mms_img-1998678836.jpg

Lets all take some extra time to think about safety in regards to building and launching our rockets. Keep it safe..our families and friends are watching and count on us to be safe.. Lets take a little more time to plan, build our rockets. Clusters and electronics need more consideration as well. Lets watch-out for one another and keep the SARA site a "safe.family friendly zone"

Hey Terry and Miles. Way to go on your SPORT ROCKETRY MAGAZINE coverage and photos. That's cool to see you guys and your rockets from NARAM57. Congrats...
Ed

And also a WAY TO GO to the SARA club on the coverage and great job to all who made that launch possible. Ed LaCroix thanked everyone in the article and it sure is cool to see the names / pics and to see and read about it all in the new issue of Sport Rocketry Magazine.

Last edited:
Thanks! I learned a lot with this built. I've got a couple more K's to fly in it before I let a 75mm L995 rip. I'll have to find another launch site or perhaps investigate the possibility of a call in at the SARA site? Special thanks to Stephen Fraser for all the great photos from this and EVERY SARA launch!ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1450013405.197888.jpg

It definitely won closest to the pad. Great job man. I think Sara can do a call in waiver of I am remembering correctly. SSS sites do have call ins that would handle that on an L if SARA can't.

Last edited:
I love the sss airfield site. Nice and flat out there and not too far from i10. I don't know why they even use hope. It is pretty out there though. Its just quite a ways on dirt roads to get back to the hope site. I'm sure there is a reason for hope but I never asked Ken or guy.

Thanks! I learned a lot with this built. I've got a couple more K's to fly in it before I let a 75mm L995 rip. I'll have to find another launch site or perhaps investigate the possibility of a call in at the SARA site? Special thanks to Stephen Fraser for all the great photos from this and EVERY SARA launch!View attachment 277799

That was an impressive flight and is an impressive rocket. The splash of smoke and sparks at ignition was pretty cool too. We had a great December launch and I look forward to see the pics. Stephen got a lot of nice ones Im sure. I got to see the weekend launch crowd ***good to see you all****:) and Merry Christmas***Happy Holidays & A Super Fine New Year!!!!!
Ed

I love the sss airfield site. Nice and flat out there and not too far from i10. I don't know why they even use hope. It is pretty out there though. Its just quite a ways on dirt roads to get back to the hope site. I'm sure there is a reason for hope but I never asked Ken or guy.
The airfield site is just a little to close to I-10 for comfort with higher flights.

I agree with you, though; I love the airfield. If the range head was a mile farther from the freeway, it would be perfect.

And the road to Hope isn't bad, I just wish cell service was more reliable. I was out there Saturday, and the winds kept of from making more than a couple of launches.

Last edited:
Samuron,

It was dead calm all day sunday. We got a lot of flights in. We will be expanding the altitude at the Hope Site in subsequent waiver requests as we gain more experience there. The Airfield Site is at its limits and will most likely be reduced to 8600ft standing, unless we find a way to move further south (preliminary surveys show the road deteriorates fast in that direction).

Guy

Samuron,

It was dead calm all day sunday. We got a lot of flights in. We will be expanding the altitude at the Hope Site in subsequent waiver requests as we gain more experience there. The Airfield Site is at its limits and will most likely be reduced to 8600ft standing, unless we find a way to move further south (preliminary surveys show the road deteriorates fast in that direction).

Guy

That makes sense. The call in waiver was so high at ghs I was wondering why hope was needed. Seems like hope would have high waiver possibilities.

A Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to All! :santa-smile:
Don't forget the build session tomorrow at Hobby Barn (7025 E 21st St, behind Ace Hardware at Kolb and 22nd) 10:30a to 12:30p
Ken

I Wish!
"Slowly the wheels turn very slowly!"
Ken:eyeroll:
QUOTE=GuySmith;1536758]Ken,

Do you have a launch schedule for 2016 available yet?

Guy[/QUOTE]

Back