SARA/ SOUTHERN ARIZONA ROCKETRY ASSOCIATION

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone pack a rocket in their checked bag for air travel? I need to figure out how to pack my LOC IV and LOC 429SS for LDRS. I already spoke w/TSA and as long as the cones are off and no motors or electronics installed I can check or carryon. The carryon would be to big. I need to pack so all the rouph handling wont damage my goods. Or ship to the hotel.. and I would like to save that $.

Anyone pack a rocket in their checked bag for air travel? I need to figure out how to pack my LOC IV and LOC 429SS for LDRS. I already spoke w/TSA and as long as the cones are off and no motors or electronics installed I can check or carryon. The carryon would be to big. I need to pack so all the rouph handling wont damage my goods. Or ship to the hotel.. and I would like to save that $.

I’ve included fully built rockets in my checked suitcase before. I tape cardboard to the fin edges and foam on the nosecone tip, stuff the body tubes with socks or underwear, and wash residue off the rocket and let it dry before flying home. That’s only possible with g10 or Quantum Tube. I’ve not had any problems with security.

I asked a TSA friend of mine, and they said that it would be ok for you to check it or carry it on. However, not sure if i rocket would fit in an over head. I used to work for TSA, i wasn't TSA just a contractor, and in my opinion you could check it and have no issues. Just no motors of any kind EVER.
Not sure why they would say no nose cones on. If you're flying out of PHX, just let the ticket agent know what you have in the bag/box etc, and they should let TSA know whats going on. They will probably open that item and test it because they dont know what it is.
just my two cents. if you need to know more just PM me.

Anyone in SARA-land into 3D printing? I'm thinking of getting started, but am suffering from analysis paralysis, and could use some empiric guidance.

Anyone in SARA-land into 3D printing? I'm thinking of getting started, but am suffering from analysis paralysis, and could use some empiric guidance.
I'm not in SARA-land but I do a lot of 3D printing. I recently tried a Prusa and it is amazing... That would be my pick for a normal extruder-type printer.

I also have access to a Form2 SLA resin printer, which is amazing as well. However it's expensive and a bit of a mess.

So...looks like we might get some rain Saturday? This is my first year flying in awhile, so I'm not sure what happens in situations like this- do you make the trek at risk, or with ~60% chance is it almost a certainty so the launch gets scrubbed?

So...looks like we might get some rain Saturday? This is my first year flying in awhile, so I'm not sure what happens in situations like this- do you make the trek at risk, or with ~60% chance is it almost a certainty so the launch gets scrubbed?

Hi SoopirV,

I'm not sure of your identity, so I can't tell if you are on the public launch announcement list. If you are, then you received the email announcement of tomorrow's public launch that went out this morning, after you asked this question. If not, I'll encourage you to sign up for our launch announcement list (right hand side of the home page: https://www.sararocketry.org), or to become a SARA member, and that will land you on the launch announcement list, as well as the member email list. That is the best way to receive notification of SARA's launch activity, rather than this forum. SARA uses the website and the email list for all essential communications, including launch cancellations; and you can find direct contact links for the board here: https://www.sararocketry.org/contact-sara. Using this forum in particular, is an unreliable way to reach a SARA board member, although it does happen from time to time.

But to directly answer your question, the launch is on for Saturday, with little likelihood of a rain date on Sunday. Ken and I will be at the launch site at 7 am Saturday to make a go/no go decision. The latest forecasts indicate there may be a break in the rain and low clouds right about the time we're planning to fly from 8 - 11 am Saturday. We are expecting a lower ceiling than usual, depending on where the cloud deck is on Saturday, so it would be a bad day to go for the F altitude record :). Few board members have indicated they can attend a Sunday rain date, so we are unlikely to activate the waiver for Sunday if we are rained out Saturday.

If you have any questions, just let me know!

James

Hi SoopirV,

I'm not sure of your identity, so I can't tell if you are on the public launch announcement list. If you are, then you received the email announcement of tomorrow's public launch that went out this morning, after you asked this question. If not, I'll encourage you to sign up for our launch announcement list (right hand side of the home page: https://www.sararocketry.org), or to become a SARA member, and that will land you on the launch announcement list, as well as the member email list. That is the best way to receive notification of SARA's launch activity, rather than this forum. SARA uses the website and the email list for all essential communications, including launch cancellations; and you can find direct contact links for the board here: https://www.sararocketry.org/contact-sara. Using this forum in particular, is an unreliable way to reach a SARA board member, although it does happen from time to time.

But to directly answer your question, the launch is on for Saturday, with little likelihood of a rain date on Sunday. Ken and I will be at the launch site at 7 am Saturday to make a go/no go decision. The latest forecasts indicate there may be a break in the rain and low clouds right about the time we're planning to fly from 8 - 11 am Saturday. We are expecting a lower ceiling than usual, depending on where the cloud deck is on Saturday, so it would be a bad day to go for the F altitude record :). Few board members have indicated they can attend a Sunday rain date, so we are unlikely to activate the waiver for Sunday if we are rained out Saturday.

If you have any questions, just let me know!

James

Hi James- thanks, I need to add my name to the footer, this is Dave Juliano.

"THE WINNER IS!"
So folks looks like the day of choice is:
Sunday July 22 8am to 11am (10 votes),
with Saturday July 28th a close second with 8 votes.
So it looks like Sunday July 22nd is the winner.
The only wrinkle is me!
Sadly, due to a unexpected medical issue, I can no longer take point on this.
An volunteers to step up!
Ken Weaver:(

OFF Schedule Launch Sunday July 22, 8 am to 11 am
Class 2 rocket launch is set for Sunday July 22, 8 am -11 am pending FAA approval on Friday!
Thanks James Cramton, Steve Lubliner, for helping to make this happen!
Watch your emails for confirmation
Ken Weaver!

We sure hope all is well with everyone there at SARA... I havent launched in over a year but loving the cooler temps and more opportunity to get over to Tucson for a launch.​

I asked a TSA friend of mine, and they said that it would be ok for you to check it or carry it on. However, not sure if i rocket would fit in an over head. I used to work for TSA, i wasn't TSA just a contractor, and in my opinion you could check it and have no issues. Just no motors of any kind EVER.
Not sure why they would say no nose cones on. If you're flying out of PHX, just let the ticket agent know what you have in the bag/box etc, and they should let TSA know whats going on. They will probably open that item and test it because they dont know what it is.
just my two cents. if you need to know more just PM me.
Long overdue thx for that info

Valerie and I have been trying to get out to Tucson for a launch and see all our friends there. I have an I200 and an H268 (with a cool long 29mm case)that need a armed igniter and a switch activated attatched.lol and the H220T that I had loaded for the midweek launch Ken set up that we couldnt make duue to car broke down in Picacho on our way that day. I will never forget that one lol We try again , May18 launch . I've gone a full year+ without flying. :( life happens. :) Still NAR membership in good standing and Level2 Certified :) Ken , Brett , Terry , Randy, James , and families -hope to see you there.
Ed and Val

Hello All, I am new to the area in AZ for a summer internship and I am planning on attending the upcoming launch this Sunday. For a while, close to a full year, I have been trying to launch my NAR L1 certification rocket. The first one failed, the second one wasn't allowed to launch b/c sparky, and now I am on my third attempt here.

I want to ask if anyone going to the launch this weekend will help me certify my L1. Thanks.

Hello All, I am new to the area in AZ for a summer internship and I am planning on attending the upcoming launch this Sunday. For a while, close to a full year, I have been trying to launch my NAR L1 certification rocket. The first one failed, the second one wasn't allowed to launch b/c sparky, and now I am on my third attempt here.

I want to ask if anyone going to the launch this weekend will help me certify my L1. Thanks.
Reach out to James at www.rocketryworks.com he is the owner there and also the SARA president. He fulfills that role often for folks.

Drew

Greetings friends.
I'm checking in. It's been awhile (years)and so it's time to dust off the rockets and fly.
What's new. Lol.?

Hi Ed,

I fly with SARA a few times a year. I can't make the Sunday launches, and next month I will be going to Oktoberfest in Jean, NV. There are a lot of cool new motors and electronics available that weren't a few years back.

A couple weeks late but here is a pic from Oct SARA launch

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231021-162353.jpg
    Screenshot_20231021-162353.jpg
    494.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231021_101055.jpg
    IMG_20231021_101055.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231021_101856.jpg
    IMG_20231021_101856.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 1
Back