SARA/ SOUTHERN ARIZONA ROCKETRY ASSOCIATION

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I forgot I got a shot of that Frenzys sweet switch band, I love those switches, and I am curious what all those LEDs do.

View attachment 255518

LOL! This is weird seeing a photo of my own rocket posted by someone else...kind of humbling! But since it's on display, I'll give a run down- three switches- one for altimeter on (green), blue is back up timer on (not used currently), red is deployment power. The three LED to the right are continuity indicators for charges (Drogue, Drogue backup (off timer), main). To the left of the switches are two more LEDs that indicate Timer ready and Alt ready, and a reset jack to put the alt in standby.

It's a bit much, and next time I'll make sure all the status LED are on the same side- my goal was to get a visual from the flight line if everything is ok. LEDs I used are bright enough, but at 180' apart, proves I'M not so bright.

That flight had the electronics activated, but no powder, so it's still untested.

Joyce was there so there will be photos on line after she finishes processing them. It was a surprisingly good day for the launch as all the weather forecasts pointed at quite windy conditions. However it was fairly calm and the temperature was great. The high hazy clouds made it harder to track the rockets but a great launch over all. Congrats to soopirV on his successful L2 certification flight. It is always amazing how the desert responds to rain and how it responds to a week of rain is overwhelming. We will have to do some serious weed eating before they dry out.

Thanks Terry! Couldn't have done it without your help (and Dan's and Steve's and my pal Mike, who's not on the forum for some reason)!
One question to your comment about the rain- it seemed awfully green to me too, yet I heard that sparkys were disallowed- when's a good time of year to fly those? I have one I'm dying to use in my ProMaxx!

It is a judgement call for sparky launches. If the field is overgrown or if there is a lot of wind we do not fly them (red flag warnings and the like). That being said most of the time we can fly them. I had a metalstorm ready to go this time that I will use at Desert Heat (when we fly off the RC clubs runway). I do not know how the rest of year will go.

Whose Bomarc was that? Was it yours? Best bomarc flight I've ever seen!

Yes, it's mine. First Imax I've used as well. Fun build, definitely recommend building one when you have a chance.

Thanks for the rundown of the switches... Are they push button? Spst or dpdt? I'd take a link if you have one on where to buy them

Yes, it's mine. First Imax I've used as well. Fun build, definitely recommend building one when you have a chance.

Thanks for the rundown of the switches... Are they push button? Spst or dpdt? I'd take a link if you have one on where to buy them

I've longed for the madcow version for awhile- definitely a "builder's" rocket, and I enjoy the design and build phase almost more than the flight. The switches are from here:
https://www.adafruit.com/products/9...3lu5R2qqOlH5IiFUoDpl_oIGdH68bY8UpfhoCEyjw_wcB

The actual ring LED is too faint to see in daylight (even in the shade), and, if you wire it in with the switch (so the ring is on when the SPST is on), it draws current that confuses the eggtimer- I haven't tested it with any other flight computers. I like "complicated simplicity"- sure, it's easier to reach a screw driver through the vent hole and tighten a screw switch, but why not tap a button and enjoy your flight? I'd show the inside of the AV Bay, but SARA would never let me launch again, it's a mess- I needed to use two RJ-45 connectors to link the sled to the off-board switches and indicators. It's so cramped inside (these switches are DEEP) I don't think I"ll be able to mount my self-designed arduino based timer. Thinking that if I use these again in the future, I'm going to dedicate the circuitry to the bay (since it's so hard to remove anyway), and simply make the battery easily accessible.

If you're out at Desert heat and are still interested, I'll open it up for criticism... I am always looking to learn!

Weird selfish question, but did anyone happen to get any video of my Frenzy launch? We had a technical malfunction with our camera, and only got a still...if you did, let me know, I'll hook you up with a sixer of your favorite beverage!

Great seeing you out there, Terry! Sounds like you had your hands full! :)

Joyce was there so there will be photos on line after she finishes processing them. It was a surprisingly good day for the launch as all the weather forecasts pointed at quite windy conditions. However it was fairly calm and the temperature was great. The high hazy clouds made it harder to track the rockets but a great launch over all. Congrats to soopirV on his successful L2 certification flight. It is always amazing how the desert responds to rain and how it responds to a week of rain is overwhelming. We will have to do some serious weed eating before they dry out.

Congrats on your cert flight! :)

Happy Launch Day everyone! Super excited to test out on L2 today (I hope!). MadCow Frenzy on a J280 Smokey Sam, would like to meet you guys face to face if possible!

all photos are uploaded, enjoy! :)

https://fotos.nahcpj.com/sara_0221205

Any personal pics of the launch today?

Last edited:
I am available for a weed whacking party. Maybe I can find that altimeter.

Great pics!!!!
We are trying for another great "Micro Blast" Mid week mid month Launch ---March 10th SARA right on right on right on!!! Low to Mid power -3.3lb limit on the pad. Whos bringin the gas BBQ ? Hot dogs?

Hi Folks,
Well the last mid-week launch was a rousing success and after several requests for another, we are working on another Class 1 Rocket Launch (<125 grams (4.4ozs) propellant, 1500 grams (3.3pounds) rocket lift-off weight) for Tuesday March 10, 2015 9 AM to Noon.
The Caveat is we need to do some weed eating on the range afterwards.
So please bring tools and Plan on an hour or so to get a good start on cleaning up the range.
I will post a definite confirmation when I have it in hand.
Ken Weaver
SARA Rocketry
Member-at-large

That works for me! So we could fly 10 A to 1 P or show up at 8:30A and fly 9:30 to 12:20 what ever folks would like to do, let me know so I can lock this in.

We gonna do our best to make it before 9am. Have weed whacker ready for me to go.okay?

I'll be there at 830 with tools. What are we going to do with the brush we cut?

Thanks! 100-400mm.
Those pictures are awesome. What lens are you using?

Thanks for the props!
Great pics!!!!
We are trying for another great "Micro Blast" Mid week mid month Launch ---March 10th SARA right on right on right on!!! Low to Mid power -3.3lb limit on the pad. Whos bringin the gas BBQ ? Hot dogs?

Make a salad! Hehe... j/k. Or compost it?
I'll be there at 830 with tools. What are we going to do with the brush we cut?

And I am prepping already for SARA- Pre Spring clean up- Mid month-Mid week- Maxi Blast on March 10th (we are hoping) we have our fingers crossed > Got my modified Mirage(DD) set and ready. Still waiting for a section of airframe for my Loc 4-29SS. It was shortened, now time for a stretch version.:cool:

I'll try to get the day off.. I will be in Florida for desert heat so it will be a fun mid week deal

We are a go for 8:30 am cleanup start and then Fire in the hole Pre Spring Blast Off SARA site. March 10th Tuesday. If you can't make Desert Heat and need burn some A thru G motors and fly class 1 rockets. Here's your chance.!!!! See you there.

Do we need to bring bags for the clippings or do we leave it in place to do whatever things in the desert do?

So its Official Tues March 10 8:30A to ~2P Work-Fly(Class 1)Event.
Launch site brush overgrowth Knock down and Class 1 flying afterwards.
I will copy the Email Blast went I get it.
Ken

Last edited:
Email Blast from Sean Keane, Sara President.
"As anyone who came to the
February launch knows, our field is getting overgrown with weeds. A work/fly
day has been scheduled for Tuesday, March 10 from 8:30 a.m. to around 2:00 p.m.
(or when the weeds win, whichever comes first). We'll probably also schedule a
work day on the weekend sometime in April, but if you can help out on Tuesday,
please do so. After the work party, you can fly model and mid-power rockets.
Come help us keep our field in shape while flying some rockets!

Best Regards,
J. Sean Keane
President, SARA"

RIGHT ON!!!:cool: We are going to" Fire It Up After Some Clean Up".
*********** Thank you Mr.Keane and And Thank you Mr.Weaver !!!!************

Dry fit from Feb. launch. Added wire channels last night. Time to start sanding followed by the dreaded prime sand paint cycle (I hate painting).

2nd-dry-fit.jpg

Are we having a night launch in July for naram? I have been batting around a high power night pyramid idea and was just wondering

Booo lol... I am surprised since it is in the middle of "do I live in a oven?" season.

Back