SARA/ SOUTHERN ARIZONA ROCKETRY ASSOCIATION

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the quick responses guys! I'm hoping to make it out for the June 20 club launch so maybe I'll see you there. I bought another MDRM to replace the lawn dart, and will probably fly it on a DMS (KISS and all that) for the cert at NARAM. Should be (relatively) low and slow (for an HPR). Also have an already flown Ventris and maybe a LOC IRIS if the Max doesn't work out.

Speaking of motors, I saw Aerotech, Apogee, and BMS listed as vendors for NARAM - will any/all be at the sport launch site on the weekend, and are they taking pre-orders for in-person pickup? I'd like to avoid the HAZMAT charge for one motor if I can. I didn't see NARAM info on those vendors' sites, sorry if it's out there and I'm just missing it.

@crazyed - I'm pretty sure they've banned Sparky motors for NARAM. Not sure if you meant "Dark Matter" or "Disposable Motor" with DM.

Hi,
I am not sure on the vendor schedules.
I would try emailing the individual vendors.
CrazyEd Oberon is correct no sparkies, as per NARAM 57: https://naram57.org/index.php/sport-info/hpr-flying ... "Unfortunately, given how dry the launch site is likely to be, there will NO SPARKY MOTORS ALLOWED." that includes AT H115DM (Dark Matter) since it is a sparky.

Yes.. I meant DMS....I thought about how I wrote that but didn't get to edit the post.
Thanks all .see you there.

You can pre-order for pickup on site from Balsa Machining Service by selecting no shipping and entering NARAM 57 pickup in the comments field. There is possibility that Bay Area Rocketry and Discount Rocketry will be attending for the initial weekend (I do not have firm confirmation of this however). Aerotech attends launches as manufacturer and normally does not sell items. I do not know about Apogee.

Last edited:
It is unfortunate that Aerotech named the single use motors as they have. The H115DM is both a DM and DMS motor. LOL

Well doggone looks like that H115 is DM. H135 is white lightning so all good ..l

Last edited:
That's what I see also. If the H135W is too much impulse, consider an H165R reload (nice redline) or the H128W reload. I have the cases if you need to borrow any. The H97 is in between as far as total impulse and will work for light weight rockets.

Last edited:
That's what I see also. If the H135W is too much impulse, consider an H165R reload (nice redline) or the H128W reload. I have the cases if you need to borrow any. The H97 is in between as far as total impulse and will work for light weight rockets.

Thanks Terry. The Mirage Is weighing in at 40.5oz's dry. I built it tough . So the AT H135W should do the trick. But we will see come launch day and whats available. I really shouldn't even second guess the 180 but we will play it safe:cool:

Actually a Mirage at that weight sims out higher with the H135W. Any of these should work fine.

H180W ~ 1800 ft 290 mph 9 sec delay

H135W ~ 2000 ft 300 mph 9 sec delay

H165R ~ 1300 ft 240 mph 8 sec delay

H210R ~ 1800 ft 310 mph 9 sec delay

Last edited:
Actually a Mirage at that weight sims out higher with the H135W. Any of these should work fine.

H180W ~ 1800 ft 290 mph 9 sec delay

H135W ~ 2000 ft 300 mph 9 sec delay

H165R ~ 1300 ft 240 mph 8 sec delay

H210R ~ 1800 ft 310 mph 9 sec delay

Well thanks Terry. I went and downloaded that rocksims trial and been racking my head to figure out how to use it. And behold you did some work for me. Thanks. That is interesting . I thought the 180 would get it highest and faster but I think that burn time on the 135 is what does it. The speed too. :). 2000 ft and 300mph is pretty cool and 9sec delay. Will round to 10 using the tool.

Terry..Im gonna mess with that rocksims a bit. I'm sure I will have to ask you a few questions. :)

Last edited:
And if you have enough motor mount length to take the Aerotech 29/360 case.

H268R ~ 2550 ft 415 mph 10 sec delay

I200W ~ 2700 ft 405 mph 10 sec delay

Last edited:
And that is one of the limitations with the way I built this MIRAGE. The Aerotech 240 case is the biggest it will take. With only 2" to spare.

Last edited:
Also you can use the thrustcurve web site to get rough performance estimates with different motors. You will get more precise figures with a sim program like Rocksim or Open rocket (which allow you to design you own fins and generate templates for them, etc.) but for ball park figures the thrustcurve site is an easy to use tool.

https://www.thrustcurve.org/

This MIRAGE is ready to go. I really cant think of anything over looked.(thanks to all the great advise) Extra new shock cords/extra long. Motor ejection chutes will bring it in easy and the main chute will really slow it down at 900ft for a cool recovery. Fins beefed up a bit to prevent any possible fin flutter or damage on recovery. pics show fin work/separation points/av bay area/rail buttons, yes I left the lugs on for my launch equip. I did have to show off those patches I bought at the Kennedy Space Center a couple weeks back.:cool:
I did sand down the fins under those strips. They are now red.

100_1665.jpg

100_1672.jpg

100_1671.jpg

100_1674.jpg

Attachments

• 100_1667.jpg
    100_1667.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_1668.jpg
    100_1668.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Brett and I went out to his launch site today. Awesome place. We had 7 launches -all flew and recovered. Only a couple minor incidents. My eliminator, first thought lost but recovered on our way out. Airframe and fin damage. repairable. My Mirage is too heavy for the longer delays with the G64- 713ft alt. this time and came in pretty fast. The motor deploy and main both fired at the same time**300ft agl. No Zipper and all is good for another day. Here are a few pics. 3 of them pulled off my phone so not great but still you can see what a great launch we had. The FJ motors were 2 G53-10FJ in the Loc 4-29SS for a straight boost. We both bid a bit of walking today and that's a good thing. Of coarse we did have permits-water-shovel ** and clear skies with minimal breeze.*****stay hydrated Brett said and hes right. Im fighting a bit of a head ache and a burn so everyone***sunscreen up and drink-up(water) for these summer desert launches.:cool:

IMG_20150602_105451_952.jpg

IMG_20150602_085406_402.jpg

IMG_20150602_113002_659.jpg

IMG_20150602_114910_574.jpg

100_1679.jpg

100_1680.jpg

100_1681.jpg

And here are a few better pics of launch today south of Superstition Mnts. Aerotech Mirage G64W and LOC 4-29ss 2xG53-10FJ

rocket2.jpg

rocket1.jpg

rocket3.jpg

rocket4.jpg

My latest project. The "Broadhead" or "20 fins and a nose cone".

broadhead.jpg

Last edited:
"Very Interesting!" ;)
Looks like a good job as usual!
So when does it fly!
Off the pad particulars i.e. weight, diameter, dual deploy, chutes, electronics, motor.
"Enquiring minds want to know!" :wink:

I have not gotten a final weight on it yet (I am getting a new scale for fathers day). I suspect it will come it at about 10 lbs. It is 4 inches in diameter in the lower section and 3 inches in the upper, a little over 7 ft long and has a 38 mm motor mount. It is dual deploy and I have to finish the ebay (with a perfectflight altimeter on a 3d printed sled), rig the recovery system and order an aeropack retainer for it. It might be ready for this months launch, if not then it will fly at NARAM. It will fly on a J420 Redline.

Last edited:
That is down right mean lookin Terry.(looking at the full screen pic to see the fin details) It reminds me of one of those "modern type" whaler harpoons shot out of a cannon. Nice job

Last edited:
Hoping to see some flight info and cool pics from the launch tomorrow.:cool:

With tomorrows projected temperatures, I doubt any "Cool" photos will be possible. LOL. The "BroadHead" is not done and will fly at NARAM 57.

NARAM 57 ---The countdown to a weeks worth of Great Fly time and Great Fun and Company of new and familiar faces. See you all there!!!

Maybe I'm extra dumb today, but does anyone know if there's a vendor showcase with NARAM 57? I reviewed the event page online, but only found that some vendors may be at the sport field, some may be at the competition range, and others are at the hotel...is there a comprehensive list of who's where, when?

I just got clearance to take 4k video of a few launches with a 3dr solo drone.

Back