SARA/ SOUTHERN ARIZONA ROCKETRY ASSOCIATION

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We sure hope you all have some awesome flying there at the SARA site Saturday. And if anyone can post a few pics here it would be great.
And hoping for a nice pic of Terrys new Bird at launch as well. Safe flying everyone.
Ed

Thank you SARA for another great Desert Heat - 2015!!
Here are some teasers from the weekend!
Rest of the photos will be uploaded throughout the week, enjoy! :)
John C's Stealth 51
00001.JPG

AZRT's 10ft Alice on an M1500, first flown at AIRFEST in Argonia
00002.JPG

Just Boy's Widow Maker on an M-redline & 2 L Smokey Sam (airstarts)
00003.JPG00004.JPG

Kris C's Darkstar on K456 Metal Storm to kick off the night launch!
0000.JPG

Another great Desert Heat launch. I flew my 7.5 Pershing on a K1103 propellant X Aerotech reload on Saturday. It really moved out for its highest flight yet. Unfortunately the chute tangled and it came in faster then it should have, causing some serious damage to the bottom part of the body tube. It will be repaired and will fly again (I will have to think about the best way to repair it). The night launch was amazing as usual. I flew my 24mm Tres as a night launch rocket with 600 green LED's and 3 E12 black powder motors. Looked really cool to see 3 flame trails led by the bright green leds. I flew my "Painted with Light" on a G106 Skidmark. As the nose cone has a Night-bow in it and every surface is covered in multicolored LED bands there is not any trouble seeing it on the pad, in the air or on the ground after deployment. We ran out of waiver so I did not get to launch the "Glow Light Express" or the "Cat Toy". I devoted most of the morning on Sunday to prepping the "Solar Flare" for launch. It had a spectacular straight launch on a K456 Dark Matter reload. It is a great feeling when a project that you spend so much time on works out well. Time to start enhancing the light system for the October night launch (anything worth doing is worth over doing).

Last edited:
We had a great weekend!

Looks like it. We sure wish we could have made it for the weekend . For sure NARAM. How was the brush and weed situation. ? Just curious if its still acceptable around the launch area.

Another great Desert Heat launch. I flew my 7.5 Pershing on a K1103 propellant X Aerotech reload on Saturday. It really moved out for its highest flight yet. Unfortunately the chute tangled and it came in faster then it should have, causing some serious damage to the bottom part of the body tube. It will be repaired and will fly again (I will have to think about the best way to repair it). The night launch was amazing as usual. I flew my 24mm Tres as a night launch rocket with 600 green LED's and 3 E12 black powder motors. Looked really cool to see 3 flame trails led by the bright green leds. I flew my "Painted with Light" on a G106 Skidmark. As the nose cone has a Night-bow in it and every surface is covered in multicolored LED bands there is not any trouble seeing it on the pad, in the air or on the ground after deployment. We ran out of waiver so I did not get to launch the "Glow Light Express" or the "Cat Toy". I devoted most of the morning on Sunday to prepping the "Solar Flare" for launch. It had a spectacular straight launch on a K456 Dark Matter reload. It is a great feeling when a project that you spend so much time on works out well. Time to start enhancing the light system for the October night launch (anything worth doing is worth over doing).

Hi Terry:

Here is the video of your upscale Solar Flare

[video=youtube;4iBjCGsGyoA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iBjCGsGyoA[/video]

Awesome job Terry!!! Awesome build and launch.(and gr8t vid fastasleep)

Anyone thinking about A MID month SARA launch for May(12th or 13th)?

Last edited:
Getting stocked and stoked for NARAM57****and got my pic posting back:cool:

100_1659.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you SARA for another great Desert Heat - 2015!!
Here are some teasers from the weekend!
Rest of the photos will be uploaded throughout the week, enjoy! :)
John C's Stealth 51
View attachment 259494

AZRT's 10ft Alice on an M1500, first flown at AIRFEST in Argonia
View attachment 259496

Just Boy's Widow Maker on an M-redline & 2 L Smokey Sam (airstarts)
View attachment 259497View attachment 259498

Kris C's Darkstar on K456 Metal Storm to kick off the night launch!
View attachment 259499
Awesome pics on that link....thankyou

Today was Blast in SANTAN AZ. Loaded up the car/wife and rockets /permits. Met Brett and my daughter out at a nice little spot south east of Queen Creek to burn some A/P. (mid week fun launch)Brett had 3 cool flights/ his Estes Argent on a G80 sure gave a good walk(no pic) I think the highest of the day. maybe tie with my eliminator . We all walked a bit today and that's all good. I had the only misshap, separation on my Eliminator with an E20. We burned 4G motors-1F and 1E. Great times. here are a few pics .** First is "Into the sun" 1 of Bretts G40 powered..** #2 is my Eliminator on E20. I need an altimeter for that one time , Im sure its going close to 2K. Ive had the Eliminator for since 2004. Its flown at least 25 times-a couple D12-7 and C11-5's but mostly various E motors. The Aerotech E20-7 is a perfect selection. it was about time for the shock cord mount to give out. After inspection it appears the entire mount ripped out. I have a replacement cone and recovery for it so all is good. Ive used the F44-7 in the Eliminator as well and will do it again.:cool:** #3 another of Bretts on G40*** and #4 my Mirage with an awesome DD on G76 Alt. 883ft, Didn't catch my Aerotech Barracuda off the pad. /F32T 24mm looked about 1700'****** And thanks Brett for that Dunkin Iced Coffee and donuts.**
********Looking forward to a possible mid month SARA launch May or June. And then NARAM 57....July. SARA site...see you all there:cool:**********
Ed:cool:

IMG_20150421_102006_185.jpg

IMG_20150421_095707_021.jpg

IMG_20150421_103643_382.jpg

IMG_20140408_153824_464.jpg

IMG_20150421_103647_114.jpg

IMG_20150421_102429_586.jpg

100_1661.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, SARA. I understand you are hosting NARAM this year. If you were to guess, what will the weather be... 127F?

90-100 but that's at the hottest part of the day/about 3p. 70-90 during launch hours. this time of year. Its the end of the Monsoon so some cooling at night still carries over to the AM making for great flying weather. Its beautiful desert country and clean air. And awesome scenery to and from Tucson along the famous"Saguaro National Park" which you can see from the SARA site.:cool: The "A" mountain is a great place to view the city lights at night.
Come on over:D Its going to be BIG fun

Last edited:
I sure hope you all have a super fine launch tomorrow. Hoping the wind stays calm and no rain till your all done.:cool:

I found these two rockets after the launch. The hardware is fine since I had to clean them to bring them in the house. Let me know if anyone knows who these belong to. The gold one appears to still be flayable

1430015171403.jpg

Hi
I think the remains of the rocket look like the one that Dan from Python nose cones was flying at DH. You might shoot him an email to see if it is.
The other rocket I don't recognize.
Kevin

We had another great launch with surprisingly good launch conditions. We just beat the incoming front so we did not have to chase the rockets very far at all! The wind conditions at the launch site always seem to be less then is forecast. I flew my new 4 inch up scale of the NSL rocket kit the SkyWolf. However due to the launch wires being crossed I did not see it launch. Luckily the deployed chute was in plain view and recovery was close. I am told it was a perfect flight. lol
Sent my 3 inch Thor up on a single use H550 super thunder. It ignited and got it into the air and then blew past the forward close and ejected the motor past the retainer clips. Luckily the electronics deployed and the rocket was recovered with little new damage but a flight that should have been 2000 ft was a little over 600 ft. Art flew his two stage cat toy. The first stage work great but the 2nd stage did not light. Everything recovered nicely however and it it will be launched again.

Last edited:
Good call Kevin.. It was his. So just the gold one needs to find its home

Some shots from the launch, Arts 2 stage cat toy was interesting.

On board from the bomarc

[video=youtube_share;1aIAF6Lr0dg]https://youtu.be/1aIAF6Lr0dg[/video]

DSC_1008_edited-1.jpg

DSC_0947_edited-1.jpg

DSC_1007_edited-1.jpg

DSC_1005_edited-1.jpg

DSC_0908_edited-1.jpg

DSC_0912_edited-1.jpg

DSC_0973_edited-1.jpg

DSC_0948_edited-1.jpg

Last edited:
I sure hope you all have another great launch there at the SARA site. and thanks randy for those pics from the last launch.:cool:
I just got back from a great vacation-

IMG_20150508_151224_907.jpg

IMG_20150509_091901_892.jpg

IMG_20150509_160338_890.jpg

IMG_20150510_154624_427.jpg

A great launch! The temperature was perfect with no wind (much cooler then normal in may). I launched my upscale Skywolf on an I211W for a perfect flight (that I actually witnessed this time). My first time using the EZ style reload and it really is convenient. Onward to the June launch and then NARAM 57.

https://naram57.org/

It's getting closer! I am not normally interested in competition events, but I might participate in the high power fun events for the heck of it. I have a 3 inch rocket that I can convert for the "H" water loft event.

https://naram57.org/images/PDFs/N57_H_WaterLoft_Rules.pdf

And I might fly the Solar Flare in the "Upscale Sport Rocket Model" event before I start adding all the LEDS I plan for its night flight debut.

https://naram57.org/images/PDFs/Upscale_Sport-Rocket_Rules.pdf

What days are you planning on attending? Unless something goes amiss I am planning on attending the whole event.

I was just down at SARA last weekend for my first launch with a club. Other than managing to lawn dart my new Mega Der Red Max (dud delay grain or clogged port I think), had a great time. Does anyone have pictures from the event? Someone was there with a nice camera - not sure if they were "official" but the SARA Flickr page hasn't been updated in a while.

Also, been trying to get in touch with someone from the club about setting up an L1 cert flight at NARAM but haven't heard back. Tried emailing the club pres and NAR section head - anybody familiar with the club know if I'm barking up the right tree? Figure they're pretty with NARAM prep but hoping to get involved.

That was probably Stephen Fraser. He usually takes a couple of weeks to process and upload his photos. Setting up an L1 cert is not that complicated. Have your current NAR card and a print out of the forms from the NAR web site in case we do not have any with us (unlikely at a NARHAM). Two L1 or one L2 or L3 fliers can do a cert. I or any of a number of other SARA members can work with you for a cert. I drive a white Mazda wagon. You should have a rough idea were the CP is located on your rocket and the expected altitude and delay times if using motor deploy. We watch you build the motor, inspect the recovery system for any obvious problems and help you get set up on the pad. Recover it after the parachute deploys. As long as the motor is retained and there is no major damage you are done.

Last edited:
Hi there,
My name is Ken Weaver and I am SARA's member at large.
I apologize for the unresponsive web page, we are currently having issues with it.
As far as pictures and L1 certification are concerned TerryG was correct on all accounts.
Yes the SARA Flicker site has not been updated since February of 2015 .
Check this link occasionally for updates. https://www.flickr.com/photos/sararocketry/sets/with/72157651141053976
Regarding L1 certification at NARAM check this link out. https://www.naram57.org/index.php/sport-info/hpr-flying
If you have any questions just email me or post here.
I usually check this forum at least every other day!
Any volunteers for almost any kind of help with NARAM 57 or SARA will be greatly appreciated.
Come by the red chevy trailer blazer and say hi.
Ken Weaver

Im looking forward to a super great time at NARAM57. I will be there Tuesday and Wednesday and getting that L1 cert. and flying as much as possible on the HP sport range. See you all there :cool:
- Got those 1010 buttons installed on the Mirage and leaning toward the H135WDMS(single use) or an H180 for certification . LOL still undecided on the D.D. configuration. We will see. The 4-29SS will fly on 2G's(maybe 138T's if I can find them at the launch:surprised:. , and the Barracuda on G reload.
We are gonna have a blast out there:grin:

Last edited:
Back