SARA/ SOUTHERN ARIZONA ROCKETRY ASSOCIATION

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't leave your rocket in the rear window in Arizona!
2017-07-13 10.30.49 (Small).jpg2017-07-13 10.31.25 (Small).jpg
Or you'll have "Ol' Droop Snoot!"

Going out for launch today...in about 1hr actually...hopefully not too muddy . Going to fly my Mirage on a H128 , my LOC4 on H195T and Mini DX3 dual deploy on G64(2k'alt). Get there - launch -and get out before 100 degrees+ hits
Apache Junction area

We had a darn good launch this morning...a little humid . Brett burned 3 HP G motors . I lit 1 G64 in the mini DX3. That is a combo.. dual deploy..But the force of the drogue deploy caused the nose to pull out the main also...So I did a bit of walking. For all our flights we walked alot except 1 of Bretts. But thats okay...its part of the fun. I flew my Mirage on a H128...that is a nice combo too. The Mirage is a straight shooter every flight. Also I flew my LOCIV.. Darn good rocket also. I stuck an H195T SU DMS in that bird and it went over 2,000ft. That was unexpected. I drilled the delay for 8sec. It needed 10. Lucky the chute didnt shred at deploy cause it was still movin pretty good at deployment. I dont have much info about Bretts birds as they were on the pad and ready for countdown when ever I got back from my hikes :) I do know he lit a G250 CTI...That was cool...and another fast full G.

20170724_190459.jpg

20170725_072852.jpg

20170725_075622.jpg

20170725_080946.jpg

20170725_081458.jpg

My son and I had fun today at the public launch and if I am able to become an official member I intend to in the next few weeks. We would definitely be interested and some more low-power launches if folks want to get together informally we have some cardstock saucers and such we want to fly.

Dave,

To my knowledge, there has not been any rain at the launch site since last month, so sparkies are not likely today. It will depend on conditions of the field when we get out there this morning; maybe there has been some rain on the other side of the Tucson mountains. However, some lower power sparkies were possible last month, since the infield is more clear than the outfield. Having volunteers come out to clear the minimum safe distances for sparkies helps make it more likely we will be able to fly sparkies, so I encourage you to organize a work party to help clear the area around the pads if flying sparkies in the dry months is of interest to you.

However, please not that today is a member launch, not a public launch, so this launch is only for members and their guests. It is easy enough to join to help share the costs of maintaining equipment and supporting operations using the link on the SARA website:

https://www.sararocketry.org/join/new-members

Volunteering to clear space around the pads of dry grass would also qualify you to attend the October 14 - 15 volunteer launch, which includes a night launch. SARA maintains a list of volunteer opportunities on the website; you are welcome to peruse this list and offer to contribute to SARA operations by taking on any of these tasks:

https://www.sararocketry.org/drive-files/how-to-help

The same weekend as the volunteer launch is our Scout Launch Day, and it would be very helpful if you came out to help get scout rockets into the air on Saturday before the night launch and Sunday launch. You can sign up to help that day here:

www.SignUpGenius.com/go/30E0C44ABA622ABF58-fall

Thank you,

James Cramton
SARA President
[email protected]
401 345 9795

Thanks James- I have indeed let my membership lapse, it's been several years since i've flown, so I appreciate the information! Would love to get involved, and will take you up on your suggestions.

My son and I had fun today at the public launch and if I am able to become an official member I intend to in the next few weeks. We would definitely be interested and some more low-power launches if folks want to get together informally we have some cardstock saucers and such we want to fly.

Where do you fly when not at a sponsored launch ? Anywhere near AJ ?

G250 for the win!

It looks like my schedule is about to change and Wednesdays could be a good day for flying out there at our special place.. starting Nov. Are you still up for that ? Maybe we can get Brett in too.

Thanks James- I have indeed let my membership lapse, it's been several years since i've flown, so I appreciate the information! Would love to get involved, and will take you up on your suggestions.

Its a great club to support even if you cant make most launch dates. (thats me). lol :)

Thinkin about turning my MIRAGE into a 2 stage with dual deploy... I have everything I need but 2 centering rings and 1 bulk plate which I may create . I have left over parts from my G FORCE.. Same fins- motor mount - Extra new airframe from a previous build - electronics and misc parts / supplies. If I could cut those darn fiber centering rings down to size I would be good to go.

Thinkin about turning my MIRAGE into a 2 stage with dual deploy... I have everything I need but 2 centering rings and 1 bulk plate which I may create . I have left over parts from my G FORCE.. Same fins- motor mount - Extra new airframe from a previous build - electronics and misc parts / supplies. If I could cut those darn fiber centering rings down to size I would be good to go.

Decided against hacking on the MIRAGE..Started on an airstart mod for my LOC 4-29SS. Got a thread in High power page.

20171011_175825.jpg

20171011_175643.jpg

Attachments

• 20171011_175655.jpg
    20171011_175655.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 1
This scratch built Endeavour is the latest addition to my collection of 5.5" and 7.5" diameter rockets.
The "Almost Ultimate Endeavour" weighs 15 lbs w/o motor, and has a 75mm motor mount, and is 81" in length.
I would really like to make a return to the SARA launch field next Spring and launch it on a CTI K555W 75mm 2 grain load.

Almost Ultimate Indeavour 75mm motor mount.jpg

Almost Ultimate Indeavour 5.5 diameter x 81 long, 15lbs 75mm motor mount.jpg

This scratch built Endeavour is the latest addition to my collection of 5.5" and 7.5" diameter rockets.
The "Almost Ultimate Endeavour" weighs 15 lbs w/o motor, and has a 75mm motor mount, and is 81" in length.
I would really like to make a return to the SARA launch field next Spring and launch it on a CTI K555W 75mm 2 grain load.

That is a fine rocket there. Yes , get it out to a SARA launch and post here when you plan it... :)

Just give me a call, the SARA field and I can be available!

Dog gone Ken...I just saw your reply..what would you think about a noon time launch Jan 16..a Tuesday..?
And would anyone else out here be interested ?

Hi All,
There have been several enquires about the possibility of an, Off-schedule Class 1 rocket launch, on Tuesday, January 16, 2018.
If there is a committed interest, I would be glad to be the SARA board member present.
I would suggest a two to three hour duration and a start time of 10 AM or 11 AM.
Who will come!
Ken Weaver

Last edited:
Hi All,
There have been several enquires about the possibility of an, Off-schedule Class 1 rocket launch, on Tuesday, January 16, 2018.
If there is a committed interest, I would be glad to be the SARA board member present.
I would suggest a two to three hour duration and a start time of 10 AM or 11 AM.
Who will come!
Ken Weaver

I can make it 11:00 a

I will be there 11a with my 1" ×6' rail launcher, no box, LOC4 to go on H220 and a couple rocketarium rockets and my MIRAGE G75 . For starters.

Loading up for todays mid week launch at SARA site. We are flying rockets up to 53oz at liftoff and no more than 125grams of propellant. So my LOC4 gets to ride an H220 .... :)

151610362111446525688.jpg

Loading up for todays mid week launch at SARA site. We are flying rockets up to 53oz at liftoff and no more than 125grams of propellant. So my LOC4 gets to ride an H220 .... :)

Im sure sorry Ken and all else who showed for the launch. We were well on our way , at about the area of the TA truck stop phx side of Picacho Pass , I heard what was like a backfire and I noticed my check engine light was on. Darn it i just spent 3k on the top end and couldn't risk going all the way to Tucson and screwin up the motor more. turns out it is service time for the tranny. BIG RELIEF. The backfire must have been my imagination or something. And i cant really say when that light came on but doggone if its not one thing its another.. I was really looking forward to seeing you Ken and so was Valerie. We will try again. Thank you for all you did to get the launch going for us.

well, I've been MIA for 3+ years, but have just restored my membership with SARA, and have flagged 6 launches this year with my wife so I don't have to scramble at the last minute. My plan is to take my three kids (<12yr) to three of the launches, and I will attend the other 3 by myself (where I can focus on HPR motor prep, electronic deployment and GPS tracking). I participated in a survey as well, which may result in more opportunity to meet and learn from SARA members (i.e. technical meetings, not just flights). Regardless, I'm quite excited to resume flying.

LDRS coming up...I have never been and just might make this one.

working in my shop tonight, getting ready for a few flights tomorrow! It's my second time out this year, which is a new record for me...I'll have my two boys in tow, so am doing as much technical prep as I can tonight. Hope to send up two MP and one low-end HP flights, two of which will be dual-deploy, my first actual flights this way. If the first works, I'll tackle the second...if not, I'll regroup and figure out (with your help, if willing!) what I did wrong. We're also bringing a good arsenal of LPR builds- a few that I'm proud of, and a few that each of the kids' are proud of. Looks like it'll be a bit breezy, but nothing we can't handle! This is always like the night before the prom for me...nervous energy! Weird.

Back