Upscale Estes Phoenix

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amarillo_rocket

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I finished my upscale Pheonix. The Estes Phoenix is one of my favorite rockets. It was the first rocket I flew with a composite motor back in the late 90's. My son and I went to the hobby shop and saw these Aerotech E motors. Heck they were the same diameter as an Estes D but a lot longer so we thought more is better. My first introduction to crapper head igniters. Fortunately it worked. I remember the sound of the motor and how we said "wow that was cool". It's a tad bigger than my Estes rocket and will fly on a research L671 3G motor. Sims to around 6000ft. It is not exactly scale since I lengthened the main tube to reduce the amount of nose weight. I still ended up with 3.8lbs of weight. Should be a nice rocket coming off of the pad, powerful and majestic!

Phoenix.jpg

I hope my upscale has the same flight characteristics as the Estes Phoenix. The Estes rocket really had a nice slow liftoff with a D motor and flew very straight in most winds. Stick an E motor in the same rocket and it ripped off the pad. Looking forward to seeing how the upscale performs with an L motor. If it flys as I expect I may need to upscale one more time to fit a 98mm motor.

I hope my upscale has the same flight characteristics as the Estes Phoenix. The Estes rocket really had a nice slow liftoff with a D motor and flew very straight in most winds. Stick an E motor in the same rocket and it ripped off the pad. Looking forward to seeing how the upscale performs with an L motor. If it flys as I expect I may need to upscale one more time to fit a 98mm motor.

Hi guys this is my upscale Phoenix, it flew at IRW 2008 in Scotland on a Hypertek M1010 https://nwr.wikispaces.com/Sean's+Level+3+Pheonix
[video=youtube;Bhgz1NcaDgQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhgz1NcaDgQ[/video]

Back