New Product Suckage

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zonie

Reaction score
EVERYTHING manufactured today SUCKS.

This has been a public service announcement.

This has been an editorial by Zonie. Contrasting opinions on this subject may be welcome to post below.
We now return you to your normal forum postings...

I respectfully disagree with that ridiculous statement.

If you think this, stop buying the cheapest crap you can find. Quality costs. If you want it, pony up.

Truth. It is not that manufactured things suck, it is that Walmart stuff sucks...

I gotta agree with this one.

Your point seems to read like mine. Less product, less quality, for more money. This is part of the reason I clone rockets, ( OOP at best ) Ive run out of OOP's mostly. this is why I design my own rockets. The selections aren't that great, I can make better designs than what's available, I can do it for pennies on the dollar.....Is this common sense at what?

Last edited:
If you think this, stop buying the cheapest crap you can find. Quality costs. If you want it, pony up.

My buddy Troy taught me-----

This takes more time and effort to type-- lol... lol... lol... lol...

This is much quicker and easier--- hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

You buy crap---- you get crap------

Teddy

I agree, to a degree.
one point...when I was doing woodworking, I had some screws that was in Dad's stuff.
High quality, didn't pop the heads off, deep threads, and didn't ream out the heads.
Today, all we get in hardware is from across the big pond and above mentioned quality isn't there.
Same with some machines...But, even though most machines are made over seas, you pay big bucks for the good stuff.
And then there is good old USA made stuff, like, my Aerotech IQSY Tomahawk. I'm sure some parts are from over seas, but still of good quality.
Then I remember a thread on BP motors, old estes were king, now they ain't what they use to be, but the nozzle is better.
It use to be you go to your local hardware store for most anything, now it's imported stuff from big stores.
Not that, that is bad, but it ain't good eithere. It's just the way it is.
You just have research and buy accordingly. Just not as simple as was 30-40 years ago in the fast pace world.
Even though I have to travel 1/2 hour to get to that big box store, and 1/2 to find the right isle, another 1/2 to find someone to help, and 1/2 to get checked out, and 1/2 to get back home only to find the help you waited for didn't know a thing about what you needed, only to return to get the correct item.
This isn't a rant, but it is FACT. I''d much rather have it old slow way and 5 minute trip to local small town.
But, I can spend a relaxing evening at home looking up and price comparison shop from this old laptop.

Expensive doesn't necessarily mean better quality either.

When I was younger, my father bought me a VCR one year for my birthday. It cost approximately $150, the most expensive one they had. I believe it was a Philips-Magnavox. It unfortunately turned out to be a real piece of CRAP. I think I had to replace about $30-$40 worth of VHS tapes that it ate up on me.

Ever since then, I also tend to avoid the most expensive too. I usually settle for in the middle - between the least and most expensive.:wink:

You only cry once when you buy the best. At least for things that don't get consumed...

While I do agree, quality costs money...

Perhaps some of you gentlemen can clarify for me, if you will, exactly where I can buy an AMERICAN MADE South Bend lathe. I'm a machinist. Love to have one.

There is a company selling a line of machines with the South Bend logo on them. Problem there... They're made in CHINA.

BTW... Forget buying a used one. Anyone that owns one, wouldn't sell at the point of a gun.

Cluing in yet? You CAN'T buy American. Americans no longer make them.

Even the people today suck!
No sucky people when I grew up....
Everyone was farout,cool,keene,pissa,groovy,wild.

You only cry once when you buy the best. At least for things that don't get consumed...

Carlo,,,
I hope you don't mind,,,
I'm rippin that one off... lol

Would you please keep Saturday November 1 open......

Teddy

Your point seems to read like mine. Less product, less quality, for more money. This is part of the reason I clone rockets, ( OOP at best ) Ive run out of OOP's mostly. this is why I design my own rockets. The selections aren't that great, I can make better designs than what's available, I can do it for pennies on the dollar.....Is this common sense at what?
Gary,is it allways about the dollar? I know I've paid way more than some things are worth on the market,but, I wanted it and I got it and I'm happy. I dont want to go to me grave with tons of money and even more regrets/wishes.
I know from what i went thru this summer, ya never know when your time is up. Live for today.Im not to saingy to live irresponsible/but again,ya cant take it with ya.
I bet most of us ,if we eally look at our spending,we spend alot on foolish.meaningless,useless,not lfve sustaining JUNK!

Some buy booze.Some buy drugs. Some buys cig/smokes.
Some buy video games
The list goes on and on.

Last edited:
Obviously not everything manufactured now sucks. There are plenty of great high-quality manufactured goods out there. One thing I've noticed over the years is the longevity of cars now as compred to years ago. You used to have to do far more routine maintenance than you do now, and even then, a car with 100,000 miles on it was getting pretty old. Now they last a lot longer, use less fuel, run cleaner, have more standard features, etc.

There definitely is a lot of crap on the market too, and our landfills are full of wasted resources turned into garbage merchandise, then grown away. But a blanket statement that quality has gone out of everything is wrong.

Three top rated, name brand point and shoot digital cameras in eight years.
Meanwhile my 25 year old Pentax point and shoot film camera still works perfectly.
Three top rated, name brand DVD players in same period of time.
Meanwhile my25 year old, vastly more complex, VCR is still going strong.

But I’ll tell you what really *$&&!%# me off; $100 hiking boots that CAN NOT be re-soled.

While I'm not quite sure what Set off the OP's ridiculous opening statements; I have to second what DizWolf posted in Spades! It's also all about knowing what the heck your buying. DO the research before laying down your money.

I'm an old Purchasing Agent for a major Sign manufacturer. One thing I leaned early on is you have to know the products and YOUR market.
It doesn't matter if you're buying Hardware, Adhesives, Plastics, Sheet metals, Gases, Steel structural shapes, lamps, electric and electronic materials, bulbs or LED or simply looking for individual widgets for your home projects. You have to research all the available options, look at each manufactures history, pricing and reputation before plunking down a single penny. Most times domestic is the best value for the buck but sometimes NOT.

I personally will NEVER buy another foreign Car. my very first vehicle was a Renault Dolphen- That little P.O. Crap is now at the bottom of the Potomac River where it belongs. I have ever since purchased or obtained ONLY USA owned autos "Just because".
That said for just about everything else. When I'm looking to buy anything, it's Quality construction and material first, then Look for the price points. Higher price tag does NOT necessarily mean better quality. READ the specs and materials lists.

Last edited:
But I’ll tell you what really *$&&!%# me off; $100 hiking boots that CAN NOT be re-soled.[/QUOTE said:
I bought 1 pair of shoes with glue on soles. Never again.
I only buy repair/replace Goodyear welt construction.
I am very fond of Irish Setters, Elk Trackers & Wing Shooters.
But they too, have some glue on soles which are comfy and nice looking. Just NO WAY.
I feel for ya.

Obviously not everything manufactured now sucks. There are plenty of great high-quality manufactured goods out there. One thing I've noticed over the years is the longevity of cars now as compred to years ago. You used to have to do far more routine maintenance than you do now, and even then, a car with 100,000 miles on it was getting pretty old. Now they last a lot longer, use less fuel, run cleaner, have more standard features, etc.
And cost 10X as much, 3-4 times as much when adjusted for inflation.

Sadly, $100 boots are no longer "good quality" boots, but are now on the low end of the cost spectrum.

I just had a similar conversation this morning regarding the cost of quality cowboy boots. The price point is similar, I think.

I'm not sure I can afford the "good stuff" anymore.

Three top rated, name brand point and shoot digital cameras in eight years.
Meanwhile my 25 year old Pentax point and shoot film camera still works perfectly.
Three top rated, name brand DVD players in same period of time.
Meanwhile my25 year old, vastly more complex, VCR is still going strong.

But I’ll tell you what really *$&&!%# me off; $100 hiking boots that CAN NOT be re-soled.

There definitely is a lot of crap on the market too, and our landfills are full of wasted resources turned into garbage merchandise, then grown away. But a blanket statement that quality has gone out of everything is wrong.

Just this morning I was listening to a radio program where the host was asking the audience whether they believed that newer cars were or were not safer than older cars ie. ‘60s, ‘70s early ‘80s.

You would not believe how many people called in saying that those old “Detroit Iron” cars were safer than today’s modern vehicles.

Guess they don’t remember how, in a head on collision with those old cars, you had the engine come through the firewall and into your lap or how frequently older cars caught fire when involved in even a minor rear end collision.

I remember back in the ‘60s and ‘70s they had these terrible multi-vehicle pileups in California’s Central Valley due to the dense fog. There would be twenty or more cars strewn across I-5 or Hy-99 and with an equal or greater number of deaths.

They still have those kinds of accidents; only today the death toll might be as low as three or four.

I think a lot of people feel the way I do... You had some steel in the body.
You lean against a car today and dent it, it's to thin to repair it.
I would rather have my 69 Chevy PU back than buy a new one, especially GM...For a lot more reasons than that!
Another reason I want to move to AZ. I can rebuild the old engines and I quit doing body work after 17+ years because of **** thin skins & Plastic.
Insurance Comany's wouldn't pay crap to repair which that could not be repaird, and even less to replace. Just didn't pay enough to deal with all the new chemicals.

You would not believe how many people called in saying that those old “Detroit Iron” cars were safer than today’s modern vehicles.

Here's an impressive demonstration of how much safer modern cars are:

[video=youtube;joMK1WZjP7g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joMK1WZjP7g[/video]

(Just don't bother reading any of the comments.)

-- Roger

I would rather have my 69 Chevy PU back than buy a new one, especially GM...For a lot more reasons than that!
Another reason I want to move to AZ. I can rebuild the old engines and ....

The thing is, after about 100,000 miles you had to rebuild the engine in those older vehicles. I spent a lot of time helping my Dad rebuilding carburetors and whatever back in the seventies. When a car hit 100,000 miles, we started thinking about trading it in. For new cars, at 100,000 miles you might need to replace some belts and maybe the spark plugs.

-- Roger

Last edited:
But at least you could get to the stuff and do it yourself, and not have to pay a garage or dealership $80+ per hour to do it.
My mothers car, that side saddle 6 cylinder FWD POS...had to unbolt the lower and upper motor mounts just to change the serpintine belt or back plugs.
I could get on either side of the engine in 69 up and shut the hood with me in there. Oh, don't start on what it took to get to the battery!

Yeup, I agree on the safety, no doubt. Cumple zones around the passenger compartment with HHS bucket.
Cars are built on the Tech of Indy cars, which started the crumple zones.
Been to all classes, etc. when I did body work.
Just don't hit the fender when you're playing bad mittin with the kids!

Back