Attaching kevlar to an already built rocket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spacepirate R

Reaction score
I want to use a kevlar shock cord on an already built rocket. It is for my Super Flea clone. The original cord was sewing elastic and it got torched on the first flight... Any recommendations on how to attach it?

Thanks!

For those who don't know, here are the plans/ https://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/est0815.htm The Super Flea is the smaller rocket.

I would thinks so, using the a small tea bag style just under the tube coupler.
You will still want some elastic attached to the kevlar for give.
Only put the keflar in the lower section above wadding, the rest in the upper portion.
You can also add a little wadding between them if you want for more protection.
Good Luck, BT-5 is pretty small for interior work!

I want to use a kevlar shock cord on an already built rocket. It is for my Super Flea clone. The original cord was sewing elastic and it got torched on the first flight... Any recommendations on how to attach it?

Thanks!

For those who don't know, here are the plans/ https://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/est0815.htm The Super Flea is the smaller rocket.

Been doing this kind of retro fit for years now.
I've found the best way without using the dreaded "Tea Bag" bulge is to use a spare centering ring , piece of Body tube Coupler, or if the model is minimum motor size a 1/4" section of spend motor casing as the Shock-Cord Anchor base for your Kevlar or Stainless Leader shock-cord mount.

DO keep in mind Kevlar is NOT flame proof. it is only HEAT resistant. it does NOT burn but degrades a bit every time it is exposed to temperatures at and above 468°c (900°f). our BP motor ignition temp is 487°C (909°F). I've now switched to Stainless Steel 30lb braided fishing leaders or several size Stainless Steel 7x19 strand aviation cable (wire rope) as my internal shock-cord anchors moving the Kevlar Up away for the initial heat and afterburn flame 12 to 18". With this Stainless/Kevlar/elastic shock-cord set-up I haven't lost a shock-cord in more then 8years with some of the smaller models having as many and 30 flights so far.

Anyway below are a couple pictorial methods for setting up either Kevlar/elastic or Stainless/Kevlar/Elastic retro-fit shock-cords.
To install either type:
* First clean out any soot build-up inside the model body with a piece of 120grit sandpaper wrapped and taped around a dowel long enough to reach the forward end of your motor mount from the forward end.
*Attach a stretched out cotton ball to the end of a 3/16 or so wooden dowel long enough to reach the same area with a few inches extra to hold on to.
*Make up the complete retro shock-cord of your choice, ready for inserting into the model.
*Mix-up some 5 or 30 minute epoxy or yellow carpenters glue and coat in lower forward end of the body tube just above the motor mount with glue or epoxy.
*Quickly insert the shock-cord retro mount centering ring and push it all the way down into the glue with a large diameter dowel big enough to set the ring squarely in the glue.
*Check the opening of your motor mount, remove any glue or epoxy that may of entered the forward end with a long Q-Tip then set the model Up Side Down and allow the epoxy or glue to cure.
*Retro-fit complete.

Shock-Cord Mount-h1_Retro mount 8pic pg1of2_09-28-06.jpg

Shock-Cord Mount-h2_Retro mount 6pic pg2of2_09-28-06.jpg

472p02b-sm_Baffle Shockcord Anchor_01-12-08.JPG

473p02a-sm_BT-50h-Bt70 MMT & Shock Anchor_01-15-08.JPG

473p02b-sm_Shockcord anchor-100lb Kevlar_01-15-08.JPG

451e8-sm_30in MB-Shockline 7pic pg_10-06-06.jpg

Last edited:
Back