Thursday 23 Oct 2014 partial solar eclipse viewing times (US)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
eclipse-oct-23-2014-us-part-1.jpg

eclipse-oct-23-2014-us-part-2.jpg

Some of us have Thousand Oaks solar filters for our C-8's.

In fact, you'll note that the chart came from one F. Espenak.

That is Fred Espenak.

I bought my filter from him. :wink:

Several years ago, about 20 to be exact, we had a total solar eclipse sweep through Ohio.
I was on the radio then, and I urged people to be safe, and to pick up any combination of welder's glass
that would total at least 14...that was 6+8, or 7+7, 9+5, etc.
Later in the morning, I did a brief phone survey of the various hardware stories, welding supply shoppe, and construction supply stores...
I found that everyone was sold out but claimed they could order more...in a week's time it would be in. They had NO idea why the public
had come rushing in to buy out their entire supply. They were dumbfounded that everyone felt they HAD to have this glass TODAY!
When they found out that I had urged the public to view safely, they were pissed that they had no supplies left for their regular customers and complained to my boss that I had caused a run on their supplies, and that they should have been notified early!

"Let me get this straight...you don't have much, if any demand for welder's glass, but today, you sold out of every piece you had. And you're upset that you weren't alerted so that you could have orderd in more to have laying around, but could be sold in case of a public run on it. So tell me just how you have been hurt by us sending people to your business?"

I still have my pair of lenses. I bought early!

Last edited:
I've heard that you can also look at the eclipse of the sun through.

To look through, at the eclipse of the sun...

A piece of smoked trout.

Some of us have Thousand Oaks solar filters for our C-8's.

In fact, you'll note that the chart came from one F. Espenak.

That is Fred Espenak.

I bought my filter from him. :wink:
The safety info wasn't provided for advanced viewers, just don't want to be responsible for someone damaging their eyes.

My welding helmet is at home, but that's okay because I will be home before the eclipse starts. Now if the cloud cover would just clear up a little...

got a chance to see the beginning - binoculars projecting the image onto a piece of paper before I had to go inside for a meeting. tried to take a picture too, but couldn't hold everything still enough to focus. (wish I had a couple of tripods with me I could rig up to hold stuff steady.) I just went out to try again, and the clouds are blocking my view. :( will try again in a few minutes as they seemed to be moving at a decent clip. I might be able to catch the end.

https://tinyurl.com/SolarEclipse2014

I dragged some coworkers outside with me, was able to get some images with their help. (The pictures are still kind of blurry.)
And, figures that the best image (of the eclipse) I was able to capture also has my big dumb thumb in it. :facepalm:

Last edited:
CIMG1344.jpg
I'm at the solar eclipse conference in NM, this was taken with binoculars and a casio handheld camera.

View attachment 188283
I'm at the solar eclipse conference in NM, this was taken with binoculars and a casio handheld camera.

Nice shot. :) Much better than what we were able to get with our little improvised solar observatory:

eclipse1.jpgeclipse2.jpg

Image projected through binoculars onto a sheet of printer paper so everyone could see it, and captured with my iphone 4s. As you can see, I had trouble focusing.

Thanks. I tried getting some pics with my phone through welder's glass, but it's really hard to get it to focus. The binocular projection works quite well though.

Latest posts

Back