Raven Power Perch Voltage Limits?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Evil

Reaction score
A various range of batteries available to me for a more "Robust"( >130mah 3.7vdc) power suppy.

Will a 2S (7.4vdc) lipo work or am I looking at damage or other issues? I didn't see any references to voltage in the PDF.

I've flown the Ravens by themselves with 9vdc but never connected to the Power Perchs.

I'm sure the standard lipo is just fine, just looking for a little extra headroom operational voltage wise to help me sleep at night.

Thnx for any thoughts...

-S

I believe that the 7.4V lipo would overload the Raven because it doesn't have any sort of current limiter. When it fires your event charges it lets them have everything the battery can deliver, and those LIPOs really put out some current.

I am curious, though...what would be a good way to add a current limiter to let such a battery power the Raven3? I have a situation where I'd like the Raven to be able to use just such a LIPO.

Quick answer to myself.

Set up fluke meter on primary Perch mounts to monitor pad life voltage with charge initiators connected.

Clock in background.

900mhz TLA tracker...

And onboard 808 cam fired up to monitor...

1 hour 15 minutes...

808 cam made this into two files...

Monitored power perch voltage went from 4.2 to 3.8 volts during test 1.25 hour epoch.

Tragic Little Aerospace remained a little soldier @7.5 volts throughout the testing event.

Tested U-Blox vs. Lap Top coordinates as well with phonular in airplane mode...results <30 meters as well.
1414078913031.jpg1414078888481.jpg

A various range of batteries available to me for a more "Robust"( >130mah 3.7vdc) power suppy.

Will a 2S (7.4vdc) lipo work or am I looking at damage or other issues? I didn't see any references to voltage in the PDF.
The standalone magnetic switch has a max voltage of 16V. I don't know if the same part is used in the Perch.

As noted, using a larger lipo you are more likely to damage the MOSFETs in the Raven. There has been an evolution in the max current on each channel between the original and the current Raven3. See https://www.featherweightaltimeters.com/uploads/Raven_Users_Manual_2014May20.pdf for more details. The Raven3 is rated for 40A on channels 3 and 4 but going above 20A or so may stress the connectors.

I think putting a small value resistor in the line is the only way to limit current.

If you really need to switch high currents, there are better options than the Raven, which is clearly limited by its form factor. That said, I've flown a lot of scenerios with the Perch, including staging, and I've never felt the need for a different lipo.

Back