SCORE ! AV Bay suggestions requested !!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenRico

'Just the Tip'
Reaction score
Hello my fellow denizens of the TRF

I had picked up this BLUE BY YOU rocket with a prototype AeroPack 54mm retainer recently . This is pretty much a MPR sized rocket designed for HPR engines.

Also had picked up prior a I165 cStar and a J145 Long Burn Skid..but didn't have a suitable bird to fly them in. All the rockets I had that were ideal for them all got built with 38mm MMTs :facepalm: My 54mm birds are all 8lb plus fiberglass and more suited for K360s on up.

Opened this up tonight to get it ready for Vegas and was pleasantly surprised to find a nice nomex blanket and very cool parachute - bonus ! :p

Also not so cool the PML Phenolic based rocket has a break near the fin can to accommodate a coupler based baffle. Currently the CTI Pro54 3grain hardware will fit but the AT 54/1706 hits a wall and sticks out, so no K1103X in this baby. I see screws where the airframe mounts this may be able to be removed in the future but will not take apart before its launched.

This has a nice reinforced coupler glued into the upper airframe- very nice ! No sloppy epoxy globbed on the inner tube wall (like me). I did see CaveDuck fly a Caliber ISP at Plaster City on a Full CTI I100 Red Lightning long burn over a mile up and recover with no electronics .. so don't feel Dual Deploy is required for the intended motor. Eventually I will make this into DD capable rocket..it is cool ..almost min diameter, and weighs less than half of fiberglass ..old school performance.

I would like to fit a eggTimer into this for this weekend - an altitude report and velocity would be very welcome, but after some soul searching and asking myself what would CJ do ? And then asking myself what would Wayco do ?? I have come up with a half dozen or so solutions (all learned on the TRF) and wondered if there was an easier way to get this done - so was hoping for some feedback.

Some of my ideas: leave nice coupler and finished upper airframe and cut/ream out lower coupler bulk head to drop some AV bay lids top and bottom . Then could do a sled with fixed allthread on one lid and drop in from the top.

Or leave coupler intact and make a very long sled that bottoms out on the fixed coupler and comes up to the bottom of the nosecone, and fills while disecting the upper airframe to keep centered with no all thread or channels. Or use some lids, my extra PML coupler, and assemble a complete AV bay, and just slide it in the upper airframe to seat against the fixed coupler and cut a vent hole to the outside.

Or jump ahead and rip out nice coupler and hope the nice finished upper airframe is not damaged and build the DD bay with a bluetube coupler and the afore mentiioned lids, On a quick test fit the blue tube coupler is loose - noticeable wiggly.Would have to tape upper and lower to fit. Or from the same vein do the same thing and use a std wimpy 6 inch long PML coupler and try to reinforce the inside by glassing or something.

Or do a 'Coker' style nosecone mounted sled ? Will do this eventually for tracking after DD is set up right.

Have started some lids which I will post a thread on in 'Techniques' eventually and will need them for this rocket, just maybe not this weekend.

Hope Y'all have some insight or a suggestion ! What say we all ? Got two nights to get this ready to go. :caffeine:

Kenny

20141021_195046.jpg
20141021_093213.jpg
20141021_194859.jpg
20141021_194906.jpg
20141021_093254.jpg

Last edited:
Flew this at Tripoli Las Vegas a couple of weeks ago with a eggTimer for recording altitude..no DD and it did well on a simple sled ..CTI I165 cStar.

Kenny

1415177819468.jpg

What material are you using for your sled?

That was home store door skin luan 2.8mm plywood ..8x4 ft runs 11 bucks.

The quickee sled was designed to fill-up the payload space as the coupler is not removable .

Since the eggTimer reported 4192 ft, 539 fps am gearing up for a J and want to do dual deploy , so cutting off bulkhead in coupler and doing some fiberglass lids.

Kenny

Back