Tracking question - TH-D72 and Marshall/LL

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stealth6

insert witty tagline here
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this already - just confirming (or not) with those of you who know better than I:

Could you use a Kenwood TH-D72 transceiver (+Yagi) with either a Marshall or LL transmitter for tracking? Or a CSI transmitter for that matter? Or are you forced to use Marshall/LL/CSI receivers with their trackers?

thanks, s6

My guess is the Kenwood radio doesn't cover the proper frequencies.

-Kevin

My guess is the Kenwood radio doesn't cover the proper frequencies.

-Kevin

CSI 222 and 223 MHz. Marshall 216 - 217 MHz and 433, 434 MHz. Not sure about Walston frequencies. CW Bullet uses Marshall transmitters not sure which receiver.

NOPE, won't work. D72 doesn't have the right modes. You might be able to get by with a TH-F6A. As I recall, CSI uses SSB modulation. I've done simple testing with an F6A but haven't done any comprehensive testing. I do have an AT-2B tracker on the ham band. I got an Alinco DJ-196 first and found out the hard way it won't work (7 years ago before I got "smarter"). Info on the CSI stuff is here: https://www.com-spec.com/rocket/manual/at_2b_transmitter_manual.pdf

Kurt

I use LL electronics and CSI receivers. I have used a Marshall that I borrowed it worked well. I prefer 222 mhz because it does not overlap Walston.

I have a Marshall TX and receiver. They are 434 SSB. Not going to work with an HT and yagi. I also wouldn't say you are forced to use their receivers, more like "get to". They are really are that sweet.

I have a Marshall TX and receiver. They are 434 SSB. Not going to work with an HT and yagi. I also wouldn't say you are forced to use their receivers, more like "get to". They are really are that sweet.

The TH-F6A can select upper or lower sideband (SSB) on Band B 434Mhz. If one didn't have one, I'd find a local ham operator who owned one and test it out first.
Can also select fine tune mode and change the received tone sound to a degree. Kurt

Back