My Vagabond

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great! I lost my Vagabond to the tree gods. The wind picked up just as it went off the pad and drifted way farther than I thought it would have in the huge park we launched it in. The tree is easily 60 feet tall and is the only one in the entire area. So of course it got my rocket.

Looks great! I lost my Vagabond to the tree gods. The wind picked up just as it went off the pad and drifted way farther than I thought it would have in the huge park we launched it in. The tree is easily 60 feet tall and is the only one in the entire area. So of course it got my rocket.

Use the Force, Larch!

Nice job.
Have you been building/ working on it for the last 3 years (+)?

Looks nice! I got one I've never finished. Sitting on the bench with the top part painted white but the lower fin area still in primer coat. If I may ask, how did you handle the stripe decal? Looks like to me that the upper launch lug is right in the way of placing it where shown on Estes the picture.

Nice job, looks good.

I've always thought Vagabond was an odd name. Why not "Vagrant", "Tramp", or "Shiftless Hobo". :D

Thanks for the compliments everybody, I'm not sure when I will get to launch it. Rocketmike I made the lower color a 1/4" above the launch lug, it made it easier for me anyway to mask it and then I put the decal on and overlapped it you can see the over lap in the picture.

Vagabond 05.jpg

Nice Vag! I like the yellow.

My experience with the Vagabond is that it's better to go with early delays rather than late ones. My current Vagabond is heavy (baffle, lots of filler, paint, clearcoat), and the D12-3 works great (chute pops just before Apogee) but that D12-5 engines are risky and the laundry may not get pushed all the way out if it's accelerating downward when the charge fires.

Enjoy!

Marc

Nice Vag! I like the yellow.

My experience with the Vagabond is that it's better to go with early delays rather than late ones. My current Vagabond is heavy (baffle, lots of filler, paint, clearcoat), and the D12-3 works great (chute pops just before Apogee) but that D12-5 engines are risky and the laundry may not get pushed all the way out if it's accelerating downward when the charge fires.

Enjoy!

Marc

I bought a second vagabond with the idea of installing a baffle. Still don't know how to do it.

I bought a second vagabond with the idea of installing a baffle. Still don't know how to do it.

Used a Vagabond for my first ejection baffle try. I cut two plates from balsa to fit the included coupler, drilled lots of holes in both, and hardened with CA. Glued one at an edge, filled with course steel wool, glued second plate to other side, then glued the coupler in place. Have made six D-12 flight, and three E-9 flights, you can hear lots of trash rattling in the baffle now, but I have used the same chute on all flights without wadding and ZERO damage. IMO a worthwhile modification. I have not ever painted it and excluding the baffle built light, still the shorter delay motors give me the best flight profile.

Back