GPS tracker for under $60

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dch

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Amzdeal GSM GPRS GPS Tracker from a dealer on Amazon.
This tracker sends a text with its current GPS coordinates when you call it. You can use the coordinates in a smartphone app such as Polaris Navigation which will help you walk to the coordinates. Mine also sends a text with a link that you can open in google maps showing a satellite image with the location marked. So one limitation for using this device is the availability of cell service at the launch site.

GPStracker.jpg

I've flown this device twice and it worked as designed. Luckily I did not need to use it to find the rocket but the coordinates returned by the device were accurate.

I bought this device on Amazon for under $30, but after much looking I can't find my records of the purchase. I can say that it did come from China. Searching on Amazon you can find it for around $22.

The GPS Tracker requires a SIM card from a GSM cell phone service provider, I used AT&T. Their goPHone sim card with $15 prepaid service cost $25. Each text costs 20 cents. The $15 prepaid service is good for thirty days, you then have 59 days after the prepaid service expires, or is used up, to buy more prepaid service without voiding your SIM/phone number. If you go past the 59 days without purchasing more time, you would have to purchase another SIM card.

The GPS package came with the Tracker, two batteries, a charger, an extra battery cover, instruction manual, mini-CD

pa20010820141020.jpgpa20012120141020.jpgpa20011920141020.jpgpa20011820141020.jpg

Below is a google map from one of the texts sent by the tracker. The green arrow is the tracker location the other markings I added for clarification.

Map.jpg

Last edited:
Some folks argue about the legalities of flying a cell phone. I don't like the prospect of getting another subscription/cell phone account that needs to be renewed for
$$$$. Could just forget about it by using an EggFinder. The higher upfront cost of $120.00 is not that bad. Plus if you go to an area without cell phone service,
which I'm told is common out west, a cell phone tracker wouldn't be usable there. Kurt

I bought something very very similar but in the UK. Cost me £30 and came with a pay as you go simcard. Had to top it up with £5. A txt reply costs 10p. My unit came with 2x 1000Mah battery's. I've had one last 7 days when I did a bench test. So far only flown it to 3k but it worked perfectly. Have also sent it to a mate in the post all the way in Russia who flew back here with it. Worked perfectly. It's so easy to use. Power on wait for flashing light status to show its got signal. I do give it a test call before loading into rocket. I've the number saved on my phone as tracker and use Google Maps as the IOS built in is pants. Call it, get a txt back then open the link in Google Maps automatically. I happen to be on the best UK network so get pretty good cover. Have also used it with my daughter to track her as she's a bit of a drifter. My top up on the tracker will not run out as long as it's used every 30 days. I just make a call to it and get a txt back done. Can top it up via an ATM or online. Simples

I recently purchased a Amzdeal GSM GPRS GPS Tracker from a dealer on Amazon.
This tracker sends a text with its current GPS coordinates when you call it. You can use the coordinates in a smartphone app such as Polaris Navigation which will help you walk to the coordinates. Mine also sends a text with a link that you can open in google maps showing a satellite image with the location marked. So one limitation for using this device is the availability of cell service at the launch site.

I've flown this device twice and it worked as designed. Luckily I did not need to use it to find the rocket but the coordinates returned by the device were accurate.
I bought this device on Amazon for under $30, but after much looking I can't find my records of the purchase. I can say that it did come from China. Searching on Amazon you can find it for around $22.

The GPS Tracker requires a SIM card from a GSM cell phone service provider, I used AT&T. Their goPHone sim card with $15 prepaid service cost $25. Each text costs 20 cents. The $15 prepaid service is good for thirty days, you then have 59 days after the prepaid service expires, or is used up, to buy more prepaid service without voiding your SIM/phone number. If you go past the 59 days without purchasing more time, you would have to purchase another SIM card.

The GPS package came with the Tracker, two batteries, a charger, an extra battery cover, instruction manual, mini-CD

Yes, this has already been posted before in a thread. I bought mine in February and it worked fine with good accuracy at several launches up until July.
Now the GPS module seems to be bad, I have not been able to get a good GPS fix for a while. :( I used ATT sim card and just added $5 but is only good for 30 days.
The other problem is that the battery goes dead after a few months but I found another 1000mAh LiIon battery that worked. The battery pins in the device
are also flimsy and don't connect well to the battery contacts so I just soldered wires on the contacts and it works better. I am going to try out the Byonics 2 meter MT-400 next.

-John

Yes, this has already been posted before in a thread. I bought mine in February and it worked fine with good accuracy at several launches up until July.
Now the GPS module seems to be bad, I have not been able to get a good GPS fix for a while. :( I used ATT sim card and just added $5 but is only good for 30 days.
The other problem is that the battery goes dead after a few months but I found another 1000mAh LiIon battery that worked. The battery pins in the device
are also flimsy and don't connect well to the battery contacts so I just soldered wires on the contacts and it works better. I am going to try out the Byonics 2 meter MT-400 next.

-John
The power of the Byonics might cause deployment electronics to lock up. Put ematches on the altimeters, turn everything on and let it
sit for 30 minutes at least. If no cycling, might be OK. Kurt

This looks like a nice dead simple and dirt cheap tracker/toy. Can anyone provide dimensions for it? I can't find any on amazon, and I need to know which airframes it would fit in.

It is a drag that yours stopped working, did it go through any hard landings or other abuse? Failure is probably normal for a certain percentage of $25 Chinese gizmos.

The power of the Byonics might cause deployment electronics to lock up. Put ematches on the altimeters, turn everything on and let it
sit for 30 minutes at least. If no cycling, might be OK. Kurt

Good point. I flew my beeline 2M GPS transmitter 1W (The MT-400 is 0.4 W) in the nose and it worked fine without any issues.

-John

I just wanted to mention that if you're looking to get one of these units, make sure you get the model with GPS-based position reporting.

There are many cheap, similar-looking units on eBay and Amazon that use LBS (basically, tower triangulation) method. Their precision ranges from few hundred yards to few miles, which is not good for finding rockets :)

-Alex

Good point. I flew my beeline 2M GPS transmitter 1W (The MT-400 is 0.4 W) in the nose and it worked fine without any issues.

-John

Take a look at this article: https://www.apogeerockets.com/downloads/PDFs/GPS_Recovery.pdf by Michael Konshak before using high powered trackers.
Some deployment electronics are more susceptible to Rf than others. I know a P6K and Adept 22 won't play well with high-powered Rf transmitters.
I've seen deployment on ascent and another event when 2 altimeters do nothing riding in the same bay as a dog tracker leading to a core sample of a very large project. When another project was completed of the same rocket design, putting the dog tracker 30 " away from the same brand of altimeters did nothing to alleviate the problem.
The altimeters shut down after several minutes on a ground test. Fortunately a ground test showed the problem and different electronics can be used in the future. Kurt

Okay, thanks so much for the dimensions and various warnings and tips. It looks like it will fit in a 2.1" (54mm) airframe/nosecone or larger, and thats great.

Regarding the warnings about high powered RF transmitters jamming altimeters, you're talking about transmitters like the Byonics and the dog collar type units, right? I just want to make sure you're not saying that these cheap little cell phone based systems will cause altimeters to lose their minds.

One key point - the rocket needs cell service where it lands. Which could be a mile or more from the launch site.

Having a usable cell signal at the launch site is no guarantee of success.

Okay, thanks so much for the dimensions and various warnings and tips. It looks like it will fit in a 2.1" (54mm) airframe/nosecone or larger, and thats great.

Regarding the warnings about high powered RF transmitters jamming altimeters, you're talking about transmitters like the Byonics and the dog collar type units, right? I just want to make sure you're not saying that these cheap little cell phone based systems will cause altimeters to lose their minds.

A cell phone tracker I believe you "call it" and it sends you the position? If that's the case, if you let the device sit in the rocket with the electronics turned on with bare ematches, if no recycling, shutting down or popping of ematches occur after 30 minutes, you're probably good to go fly. Like Scott mentions, if no cell phone service at the site, the device is useless. If the cell phone service is marginal and the rocket lands in a depression out of sight, might not get through. Kurt

Take a look at this article: https://www.apogeerockets.com/downloads/PDFs/GPS_Recovery.pdf by Michael Konshak before using high powered trackers.
Some deployment electronics are more susceptible to Rf than others. I know a P6K and Adept 22 won't play well with high-powered Rf transmitters.
I've seen deployment on ascent and another event when 2 altimeters do nothing riding in the same bay as a dog tracker leading to a core sample of a very large project. When another project was completed of the same rocket design, putting the dog tracker 30 " away from the same brand of altimeters did nothing to alleviate the problem.
The altimeters shut down after several minutes on a ground test. Fortunately a ground test showed the problem and different electronics can be used in the future. Kurt

Yes, I read the article and it's a good one. However, I have flown the Beeline 70cm GPS in the avionics bay several times together with the ARTS2 and Adept22 without any mishaps.
The flight with the 2M Beeline 1W GPS in the nose was with an ARTS2 and Adept 22 as well.:confused:
I am not saying that the author is wrong, I agree that the transmitter will "create an inducing current in the avbay's internal wiring" but I am not convinced it's a real problem unless I see a static
test with an altimeter bay turned on and running on the ground with for instance a 2 meter Beeline 1W GPS transmitter running simultaneously in the avbay to see that it's triggering the altimeters.
Actually, I remember doing this exactly with e-matches hooked up and for an hour without nothing happening. But to be safe I would line the inside of the altimeter bay like the fiberglass tubes
in most of the fiberglass kits these days with aluminum tape to create a Farraday Cage when using a high power (1W+?) GPS transmitter in the nose cone.

-John

It appears to have mixed reviews. Some claim it works fine out of the box while other complain about 4 hour battery life, on/off switch doesn't work, and low quality construction.

How does it work? Do you call it and get a position or does it send continuous messages? At $0.20 per text, continuous messages are expensive.

Bob

Yes, I read the article and it's a good one. However, I have flown the Beeline 70cm GPS in the avionics bay several times together with the ARTS2 and Adept22 without any mishaps.
The flight with the 2M Beeline 1W GPS in the nose was with an ARTS2 and Adept 22 as well.:confused:
I am not saying that the author is wrong, I agree that the transmitter will "create an inducing current in the avbay's internal wiring" but I am not convinced it's a real problem unless I see a static
test with an altimeter bay turned on and running on the ground with for instance a 2 meter Beeline 1W GPS transmitter running simultaneously in the avbay to see that it's triggering the altimeters.
Actually, I remember doing this exactly with e-matches hooked up and for an hour without nothing happening. But to be safe I would line the inside of the altimeter bay like the fiberglass tubes
in most of the fiberglass kits these days with aluminum tape to create a Farraday Cage when using a high power (1W+?) GPS transmitter in the nose cone.

-John

The problem is frequency dependent and the length of the leads can be a factor. The dog trackers are on 150Mhz MURS band and the DC20,30 and 40 output 2 watts. If one does a test of the appropriate duration to see if their devices are compatible that
gives them the best chance of success. I've mentioned a 16" diameter 16 foot tall rocket that went in ballistic with two Adept 22's and a dog tracker riding in the ebay. The builder recreated the same project with two new Adept 22's and was going to run the
dog trackers 3 feet from the ebay. I implored him to test it out first and fortunately he did. Discovered the altimeters shut down and reset that would have given another ballistic flight. Switched to different deployment electronics and passed the test.
Unfortunately when the launch attempt was made, the aft end of the 6 inch diameter motor case blew out, rocket made it to the top of the tower, tipped over and burning grains dribbled out the end as it fell down and eventually incinerated most of the rocket
and the tire off the launch tower trailer. It was the fourth firing of the motor case when it failed.
I've personally had on pad ejection of the recovery laundry the result of a 150mW RDF tracker and drogue on ascent deployment with the same hardware. No, it was not a mach flight so mach delay wasn't an issue even though it was set for 5 seconds.
Sooooo..... I learned my lesson and simply espouse this caution so no one else has suffer a loss like I did. Kurt

I've used the very tracker he mentions in this thread and LOVE it. I don't fly in any areas with any sort of lousy cell coverage (I'm in VA), so this works perfectly for me, even ordered a smaller version to fit in 1.5" airframes/nosecones. The one above fits tightly in a PML 2.25" nosecone, but I've discovered a number of things that need attention for this to be suitable for rocket flight (Low, Mid, or High Power).

The modifications and other observances are shown in this thread:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?124527-40-(US-source)-GPS-tracker

Latest posts

Back