Finally got the 3D printer figured out!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpoehlein

Reaction score
I've been experimenting and playing with my new 3D printer (Deezmaker Bukito) and I've both finally got the thing pretty much dialed in as far as printing goes, and also started figuring out how to model objects using OPENSCAD. I created an OPENSCAD file to create any size elliptical nose cone I want - I simply change the diameter and ratio of length to diameter in the file and render it - the cone renders with attached shoulder and a bar across the opening for shock cord attachment. The nose cones are hollow with a 1mm shell. My portable scale is on the fritz right now, so I'll have to wait until I get to work tomorrow to actually weigh the nose cones I made, but I printed three nose cones this weekend. An NC-50X (the nose cone used on the Sprint), an NC-20B (the nose cone used for the glider portion of the Orbital Transport) and a BT-5 downscale of the NC-20B. They aren't perfect, but a little sanding and they will work just fine. These are printed in natural color PLA (my printer doesn't have a heated bed, so ABS is out), but you can get a pretty good idea of how they look in the attached picture. If anyone is interested, the two larger STL files and the OPENSCAD source file are posted on the Thingiverse now: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:507830

nose cones 1.jpg

Got a chance to weigh the three nose cones pictured:

The NC-50X weighs in at 5.4 grams.
The NC-20B is exactly 3 grams.
And the NC-5 downscale of the 20B is only 1.5 grams.

Not competition worthy, perhaps, but still quite useful.

Looks Nice!

Congrats on getting your system up and running.

I discovered that sanding PLA is a PTA... Still, I have a few projects that I wouldn't mind having printed.

I agree - sanding PLA is really tough - difficult to get a good smooth finish. I understand there is a solvent that can be used to smooth PLA, but it is even nastier than acetone.

I uploaded a second nose cone design to Thingiverse this evening - I made a parametric conical nose cone that works the same way as the elliptical. I also included STL files for the NC-20R (WAC Corporal nose cone), NC-55BB (Black Brant II) and NC-5S. I also plan to design the waist reducer from the Black Brant II as soon as I get the chance. That will really be a useful part for cloning! The new "Thing" is at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:509295

I'm really starting to get the hang of creating objects in OPENSCAD. Inspired by one of the conical nose cones I modeled (NC-55BB), I decided to try modeling the reducer and tail cone for the BT-55 based Black Brant II from Estes. The instructions are available over at YORS. I haven't printed these yet, but I uploaded them to Thingiverse this evening:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:512113

BBII nose cone.png

BBII reducer.png

BBII tail cone.png

What is the PLA mean in the media your using?
That 3rd drawing looks like a tail cone.
I will have to order a tail cone from you when I get to building my upscale Estes Bull Pup 12D.
As long as you can make the PLA media thick & tough enough for a 29mm or 38mm engine to fit probably Blue Tube at the BT-80 size.

What is the PLA mean in the media your using?
That 3rd drawing looks like a tail cone.
I will have to order a tail cone from you when I get to building my upscale Estes Bull Pup 12D.
As long as you can make the PLA media thick & tough enough for a 29mm or 38mm engine to fit probably Blue Tube at the BT-80 size.

PLA stands for PolyLacticAcid - it is actually a corn starch based plastic (and, as such, is biodegradable). There are two downsides to using PLA - the material is harder to sand than ABS, and it has a lower melting point. That's great for the printing part, but you have to be careful with the parts afterwards - they can warp if left in a hot car, for example.

I'm not really planning on selling parts I print right now - the printer just isn't that fast, and the print volume is pretty small - only 5" x 6" x 5". Of course, any object can be ordered from Shapeways if you supply them with the .stl file (which is what the files uploaded to Thingiverse are). And Shapeways can print larger objects in ABS (which also can be vapor smoothed, unlike PLA). So, although I probably won't be able to print your tail cone for you, I may be able to model it for you in OPENSCAD and send you the .stl file. Of course, I still haven't figured out how to make an ogive cone yet, either. But I am just learning how to use this thing, so we'll see what I can come up with next.

Back