NAR Safety Code Video?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbrandt

That Darn College Student
Reaction score
Is there a video that anybody has made that talks about the NAR safety code? Google didn't turn up anything.

I will make one if there isn't. Would be a good weekend project.

I think it would be a good thing to get put on the forum in the beginners section and even sites similar to John Cocker's that a lot of people visit.

If a video is made, exactly what will it show and how will it cover all of the information/rules in the NAR MRSC?

https://www.nar.org/safety-information/model-rocket-safety-code/

For example: For item 4, will you have a full minute of dead time on the video or will you have a clock superimposed on the screen running fast ("time lapse")? Is that use of a fast running clock really safe because if a person cannot read the NAR MRSC and understand it and they need a visual presentation, then they will visually see only 10 or 15 seconds go by (they cannot "read" the numbers on the clock on the screen because of their reading disability, so they just "see" 10 or 15 seconds pass by). I think it will need a full real-time dead minute on the video to properly demonstrate what a real-world minute is.

And, how will you visually deomonstrate the dangerous prohibitions in number 8?

Also, if they cannot understand the written NAR MRSC, how will they ever be able to comply with items 5, 7 and 9? 5 requires measuring which would also require reading of a tape measure (or will they just 'pace' the distance using their feet?). Ditto for number 9 and launch site size (of course, if they cannot read, then they will never know what their motor is, since the motors do not talk and tell you what is printed on their casings). Luckily there are talking scales available for item 7.

Oh, and I just looked up talking tape measures, so I guess I am wrong (assuming all those who cannot or will not read the written or printed NAR MRSC will obviously buy all of this expensive equipment that will read and talk out loud for them).

https://assistivetech.net/search/productDisplay.php?product_id=19882

https://www.oldwillknottscales.com/...Ads&utm_medium=Amazon&utm_campaign=Amazon+Ads

If there is any way possible, get this guy to do the narration.

[video=youtube;Ac7G7xOG2Ag]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac7G7xOG2Ag[/video]

If a video is made, exactly what will it show and how will it cover all of the information/rules in the NAR MRSC?

https://www.nar.org/safety-information/model-rocket-safety-code/

For example: For item 4, will you have a full minute of dead time on the video or will you have a clock superimposed on the screen running fast ("time lapse")? Is that use of a fast running clock really safe because if a person cannot read the NAR MRSC and understand it and they need a visual presentation, then they will visually see only 10 or 15 seconds go by (they cannot "read" the numbers on the clock on the screen because of their reading disability, so they just "see" 10 or 15 seconds pass by). I think it will need a full real-time dead minute on the video to properly demonstrate what a real-world minute is.

And, how will you visually deomonstrate the dangerous prohibitions in number 8?

Also, if they cannot understand the written NAR MRSC, how will they ever be able to comply with items 5, 7 and 9? 5 requires measuring which would also require reading of a tape measure (or will they just 'pace' the distance using their feet?). Ditto for number 9 and launch site size (of course, if they cannot read, then they will never know what their motor is, since the motors do not talk and tell you what is printed on their casings). Luckily there are talking scales available for item 7.

Oh, and I just looked up talking tape measures, so I guess I am wrong (assuming all those who cannot or will not read the written or printed NAR MRSC will obviously buy all of this expensive equipment that will read and talk out loud for them).

https://assistivetech.net/search/productDisplay.php?product_id=19882

https://www.oldwillknottscales.com/...Ads&utm_medium=Amazon&utm_campaign=Amazon+Ads

Who said anything about not being able to read?

I can read notes my teacher puts online perfectly fine, but it's still easier to have someone standing there teaching it to me. Or, why, if a book can be read, why would anyone go watch a movie? Because some things can be better explained visually, or are more "entertaining" to watch. If a few people will watch a visual explanation who won't read through a list, there are a few safer rocketeers out there. I think it's best to accommodate as many learning styles as possible.

This seems like a great idea to me, I like it!

Are we really all suffering from A.D.D. that we cannot spend 1 minute to read and comprehend this small list?

Also, if you are too lazy to read the list, what makes you think that same person will follow directions in the first place?

:facepalm:

I don't think it's about being "too A.D.D", Like nute said, it is a more entertaining way to learn the safety code. I'm not sure exactly what Matt has in mind for the video but I think it's a great idea to help show some of the concepts of the code.

I just don't see a downside to having one- If someone wants to volunteer their time to put together a video that accurately displays the ideas represented in the NAR MRSC why not create another pathway for people to get information?

Nate

Please read my post that contained the questions and please answer the questions.

In other words, list each item in the NAR MRSC by number and describe how you will act this out in a video.

Of course, the video could simply be someone standing in front of the camera reading the NAR MRSC for the viewer......They can wear a funny costume and jump around whilst reading it.

I've been following this thread and am pretty confused. Getting beyond the whole does it make sense to watch a video versus reading the materials provided situation.

I'm puzzled why anyone would think that they could make a NAR safety video or a TRA safety video or any video for that matter on any subject, where someone is representing or interpreting a governing bodies rules without the governing bodies written consent and involvement. Personally, I would think a video would have to be very carefully scrutinized to make sure there is nothing someone could use as leverage for a lawsuit in a lawsuit driven society.

I think it's great that someone wants to do some sort of video if they want about safety or whatever other topic, but I would say use extreme caution when you think about putting something out and saying "this is a NAR or TRA" video of there rules without first getting permission.

Maybe I'm way off base, but it seems logical to me that there would be some sort of a protocol to follow and I'm sure TRF isn't where that protocol can be determined.

If I was to guess becoming a NAR member might be a good first step and possibly changing a documented opinion about NAR's youth program here on TRF might help someone if they were to approach NAR about wanting to help.

Such a video could feature scenes illustrating what can happen when safety codes are violated, such as grass fires and launching during excessive winds. Explosive payloads would be a nice touch with scenes of panicked spectators running for cover! And why not create a braille version of these codes for the visually impaired? Safety first, last and always.

Wow... all of this over a simple question. I never said any of this would be an "official" NAR video. All I was intending its use for was for educational use (this is what the NAR safety code says type thing). Nothing for lawsuits or anything.

Can't imagine what you fellas are waiting for. Papal blessing ? You've all got some type of video recording device, right ? Facebook/Youtube/whatever accounts ? Ability to communicate in your native language ? A copy of the NAR safety code ?

Like Peter Gabriel says: D.I.Y.

[video=youtube;0kZQzo3AwW0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kZQzo3AwW0[/video]

codysmith!
blackbrandt!
nute!

Last edited:
Notice that it's mostly the young-uns wanting a multimedia presentation of a simple 11 item list. What does this say about our society and future? :facepalm:

Notice that it's mostly the young-uns wanting a multimedia presentation of a simple 11 item list. What does this say about our society and future? :facepalm:

Just that they see some value in it where us old fogeys don't. I say go for it boys !

Why are you making such a big deal out of this??? If you don't like it, Fine! Don't watch it. Just because we are pushing for something that we think COULD be helpful or entertaining does not say anything about our "society and future".

Calm down... I'm not blaming the youth. Quite the contrary. The educators (old fogeys) have taken learning in a wrong direction. Why does learning have to be "entertaining"? Safety should be taken seriously. The list is 11 (eleven) items long. I timed myself reading it at a moderate pace.... 63 seconds... This needs to be made into a video?? Huh?

The most effective way to capture the attention span of old fogeys during a safety seminar is if the presenter is a hot young babe in a bikini or similar attire. I nominate Kari Byron for this task. Do I hear a second?

kari byron.jpg

Why does learning have to be "entertaining"? Safety should be taken seriously. The list is 11 (eleven) items long. I timed myself reading it at a moderate pace.... 63 seconds... This needs to be made into a video?? Huh?

Maybe it's just me, but if something is presented to me in video format, I tend to retain more of it then if I read about the same thing.

Maybe it's just me, but if something is presented to me in video format, I tend to retain more of it then if I read about the same thing.

Definitely not just you. Me too, and definitely others that I know, based on what some have said.

Nate

Here ya go!

[video=youtube;qkse0OBDIVQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkse0OBDIVQ[/video]

I'm an assistant mentor on a TARC team this year and yesterday we sat through a number of the videos that were produced to introduce rocketry and build techniques to the uninitiated. I don't know when these were made but they are not very new. Hats off the NAR for producing these but, based on the reception they got from the kids, I'd say an update would be in order. All of the information holds up but the videos are just dated. There were a few giggles for some things that could be easily edited but, at least, some good questions were generated by watching at these.

As to the thread topic, I see nothing wrong with producing a video to cover the points in the Safety Code. Especially something produced with youth involvement as well as the experience of someone who has "seen it all". The ideal would be something sanctioned by the NAR but most likely something with a disclaimer would be useful to many people. While the video should promote safety, there are likely numerous videos available on the net to show examples of violations of each point. Showing these negative results could help reinforce the value of safe practices as well as make the video popular in a Jack @$$ kind of way.

Safety first, last and always.

I'm an assistant mentor on a TARC team this year and yesterday we sat through a number of the videos that were produced to introduce rocketry and build techniques to the uninitiated. I don't know when these were made but they are not very new. Hats off the NAR for producing these but, based on the reception they got from the kids, I'd say an update would be in order. All of the information holds up but the videos are just dated. There were a few giggles for some things that could be easily edited but, at least, some good questions were generated by watching at these.

As to the thread topic, I see nothing wrong with producing a video to cover the points in the Safety Code. Especially something produced with youth involvement as well as the experience of someone who has "seen it all". The ideal would be something sanctioned by the NAR but most likely something with a disclaimer would be useful to many people. While the video should promote safety, there are likely numerous videos available on the net to show examples of violations of each point. Showing these negative results could help reinforce the value of safe practices as well as make the video popular in a Jack @$$ kind of way.

That's it! Beavis and Butthead Launch a Rocket! I love it!

Back