NAR Safety Code Video?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree that a video is good, and that it should be NAR approved before it is shared. Here is how I think the video should play out.

The first rule is shown on the screen in print, and the narrator reads it. The narrator then tells WHY we have this rule (some people don't follow rules unless they understand why the rule exists). While he/she is audibly telling us why the rule exists, video of the right thing, and/or wrong thing, is shown.

I can read an airline safety card in 30 seconds, but the live demonstration/video demonstrations help reinforce the concept being taught. That is why we have teachers AND text books.

For rule 8: Show a plane flying fairly near, and the person disarming the launch controller as soon as they hear/see the plane. Show them scanning the sky before launch to see if there is a plane nearby. Show video of low cloud cover and then a big red circle with a red line across it. You could also teach people how to figure out how low the clouds really are, so they are not launching a rocket that goes 1500' when the clouds are at 700'. Show someone putting a firecracker in the rocket (like a kid perhaps), and then show an experienced flyer stopping them and telling them how dangerous that is.

I admit, this will be a little like a 1950s safety video, with your host, "Safety Sam". but it can't hurt. They will still see every rule (in writing) on the screen.

One more reason this is a good idea. Schools, Cub Scouts, and other youth organizations. How many elementary students or Cub Scouts read the code before their class/pack does a launch? And it's not practical to expect 8 yr olds to do so. Currently, we rely solely on the grownups to ensure the code is followed. But what if the class/pack watches a 10-15 minute video before they go launch. Now you have not only taught some basics of rockets and math/science, but safety as well.

I just wished I had the skills to make this video. I am hoping someone out here has the skills and chooses to make it. It can be posted on NAR and YouTube for the whole world to learn from (at least those interested in rocketry).

Last edited:
CZBrat... did you hack into my Google Drive? That is exactly what I was thinking. :p

The most effective way to capture the attention span of old fogeys during a safety seminar is if the presenter is a hot young babe in a bikini or similar attire. I nominate Kari Byron for this task. Do I hear a second?

View attachment 188059

OK. New plan. Let's make 2 videos. One G-rated video for the kids, and another one for their dad's. :y:

And not to leave out the moms, you could have a third video showing a good looking guy safely launching his rocket. :y::y::y:

Last edited:
Yeah,... because my history outlines and aerospace teaching outlines are innappropriate... :p

The narrator MUST be Troy McClure.

Take a deep breath and really, really, really think about this video idea.

Some videos are logical, as there are many ways of cutting out a fin or a parasheet/parachute or gluing on fins, etc.

The NAR MRSC does not have any variation, outside of the full unabridged version that is not always printed (there are abridged versions included with some products). If any mistakes are made or wording changed, then there could indeed be a legal problem if there is any accident with injury or property damage.

And, showing what NOT to do will make a large portion of the limited attention span target audience want to do EXACTLY what you are showing them not to do. They may or may not actually do it, but they will want to do it after given the idea. Like "Cheesing". you warn the kids about the dangers of "Cheesing" and they all run home and want to try it.

I can only imagint the viedo depicting why you should not launch near aircraft....will it show a rocket impacting an aircraft? Will it show a rocket streaking upwards somewhere near the aircraft, producing a large smoke trail, scaring the pilot who violently moves the control column/stick and either sends the passengers flying with resulting major injuries or puts the plane into a tight turn and a resulting stall which leads to a fatal crash with massive fireball? Will the crash occur in an open field or will it crash into an elementary school full of children? Maybe a pet store or animal rescue facility filled with puppies and kittens?

As i said, THINK about the target audience and how they will actually react to what you are showing them.

I guess it could end up like a driver's Ed. film....

https://www.fangoria.com/new/driver...blood-on-the-windscreen-author-john-harrison/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Asphalt

Shreadvector,

You are right that the video would have to be made carefully and approved by NAR before distribution. As I said earlier, you could show people doing the right thing (disarming the controller when they hear an airplane) and just state that rockets can be very dangerous to airplanes. Does the part of the MRSC that says no explosive or flammable payload cause people to put firecrackers into rockets? Your viewpoint reminds me of "don't teach teens about birth control, or else they'll want to have sex even more".

Shreadvector,

You are right that the video would have to be made carefully and approved by NAR before distribution. As I said earlier, you could show people doing the right thing (disarming the controller when they hear an airplane) and just state that rockets can be very dangerous to airplanes. Does the part of the MRSC that says no explosive or flammable payload cause people to put firecrackers into rockets? Your viewpoint reminds me of "don't teach teens about birth control, or else they'll want to have sex even more".

Teens want to have sex? Who knew? :y:

Last edited:
Why?? This link should be suffice: https://www.nar.org/safety-information/ I don't know about anybody else but I have a better understanding of things that I read rather than someone telling me about it.

I would rather listen to a lecture anyday than read. I am a poor reader and don't remember much of what I read. For me, a video would awesome!

[video=youtube;-eTt6MJt500]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eTt6MJt500[/video]

Or, an updated version.

[video=youtube;LN4s42jjaKo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN4s42jjaKo[/video]

I just don't see a downside to having one- If someone wants to volunteer their time to put together a video that accurately displays the ideas represented in the NAR MRSC why not create another pathway for people to get information?

Nate

This. There isn't a downside to doing one. Maybe someone, who doesn't really know about model rockets and wants to fly finds the the video on Youtube. They are then that much better off in terms of safety having found it.

If there is any way possible, get this guy to do the narration.

[video=youtube;Ac7G7xOG2Ag]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac7G7xOG2Ag[/video]
That's hilarious. Here's a different version:

[video=youtube;2fjcJp_Nwvk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fjcJp_Nwvk[/video]

I might try my hand at this for my blog. A list of rules is one thing, but talking about the whys of the rules might clear a few things up for people.

I've had a number of uninitiated friends say "wouldn't it be cool to build a rocket out of aluminum??" And I reply, "You're not supposed to use metal. It's against the NAR safety code."

They always ask why. So I have to explain.

In any case, it might be a fun project. My camera's lousy, but I'll see what I can come up with.

This. There isn't a downside to doing one. Maybe someone, who doesn't really know about model rockets and wants to fly finds the the video on Youtube. They are then that much better off in terms of safety having found it.

There IS a downside to doing one, if it is done sloppily or by producers with erroneous interpretation of what the MRSC really says or means, and thus implies, directly or indirectly, that certain non compliant practices are OK.

Or, in illustrating the noncompliant practices, gives the impression they're way more fun than doing things by the book.

Again, this is why it would have to be NAR approved.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Back