need black powder

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try sourcing some Hodgdon Triple Seven or some Pyrodex instead. Those are more stable than black powder and most any place that sells gear for reloading ammunition will have one or both.

Try sourcing some Hodgdon Triple Seven or some Pyrodex instead. Those are more stable than black powder and most any place that sells gear for reloading ammunition will have one or both.

Just remember you can't use the Triple Seven or Pyrodex the same way you would use BP. They have to be contained to get all of it to burn. Sufficient ground testing is required!

Just remember you can't use the Triple Seven or Pyrodex the same way you would use BP. They have to be contained to get all of it to burn. Sufficient ground testing is required!

Yup. Sufficient ground testing is required for any change in equipment, IMHO.

I use Pyrodex and it works great but as mentioned you have to contain it. What I normally do is cut the finger off a surgical glove and pour into the finger the measured amount of Pyrodex. I insert the match to be used into the open end. I twist the finger closed and fold it over bending the match wires with it. I then begin to wrap the load with electrical tape. I try to shape it to fit my charge well snugly. I usually wrap 4-layers of electrical tape. I usually end up with a nice and solid ejection charge. Testing is crucial as the charge will detonate with less force than black powder so you end up using a little more Pyrodex to get the same effect. The tighter and more solid the charge is the better the results.

I fly 38mm reloads and use half the powder that comes with them, in order to have a small stash.

does any on have some black powder in nj or ny they could sell me. call 2019612670 leo

One should also note that the sale of Black Powder is regulated by the feds subject to the provisions of 27 CFR Part 555 and also by the states. Resale of Black Powder is a felony without the appropriate license.

For use in anything other than a Black Powder Rifle requires a LEUP. The ATF has stated they consider black powder substitutes as the same thing as black powder as far as regulations are concerned.

Also, you mention NY and NJ. I would also be very careful to make sure you follow your local laws. NY and NJ are notorious for making felonies for gun related items that would be no issue in free America.

I fly 38mm reloads and use half the powder that comes with them, in order to have a small stash.

Exactly! Most reloads come with more BP than you need (they supply enough for a big area to be pressurized). You can use it all, but you don't need to fire the payload/NC into the next county. For example, Aerotech 29mm 40/120 reloads come with .7g of BP (IIRC). There are charts on the net that can tell you the amount of BP needed to pressurize a given length of BT of a certain diameter. (Here's one, for example: https://www.vernk.com/EjectionChargeSizing.htm ) This will tell you how much of a supplied charge you need. If, for example, you only need .3 grams, you can save more than 1/2 for the future. An empty pill bottle with a tight cap is good for storage. You might be good at "eyeballing" 1/2 of supplied charge, or for less than $10 on Amazon, you can get a scale to weigh the charge, down to .01 grams. (if you buy one of these scales, you get interesting "customers who bought this also bought..." items :eek: )

I wonder if leo has any interest in returning to the forum. I think you guys were suppose to call him with your responses.

Could very well be but specifying legal sources and laws is no big deal

I meant that the Trap was if you call that Phone Number and say something like, "Yeah, I'm in New Jersey, and I will meet you to sell you some BP."

It might not have been so suspect if it said something like, "I'm in Vermont, and need some Black Powder. Please call me @.....", but throw Communist Entities like New Jersey and New York into the Mix and it sends up Red Flags.

does any on have some black powder in nj or ny they could sell me. call 2019612670 leo

That phone number is all over Google.

Leo Malkin, Unity Quest Designs in Saddle River NJ.

He does "Entertainment Technology". Stage lighting and such...

One guess what he needs BP for. :(

[YOUTUBE]v26uFiyHZQE[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Why do I not see the suggestion of using meal powder for ejection squibs?

Easy as pie to make, and it works great. I've used it.

As always... Ground test, ground test, ground test.

Why do I not see the suggestion of using meal powder for ejection squibs?

Easy as pie to make, and it works great. I've used it.

As always... Ground test, ground test, ground test.

Because this Cat does'nt want Powder for Ejection Charges apparently, he want's them for Night Club Pyrotechnics.

Because this Cat does'nt want Powder for Ejection Charges apparently, he want's them for Night Club Pyrotechnics.

Well... Then he has a problem.

He's in the wrong forum. Sounds like he's in the wrong state, too.

Guys, please don't jump to conclusions. People can be legitimately into pyrotechnics and rocketry at the same time. I know some folks in my club that are licensed pyrotechnicians. They fly rockets by day and skillfully light up the sky be night - and if the rest of us fliers is lucky, this happens to be at the same event. :)

Besides, CarVac has already mentioned that he is a fellow flier.

Reinhard

Last edited:
Guys, please don't jump to conclusions. People can be legitimately into pyrotechnics and rocketry at the same time. I know some folks in my club that are licensed pyrotechnicians. They fly rockets by day and skillfully light up the sky be night - and if the rest of us fliers is lucky, this happens to be at the same event. :)

Besides, CarVac has already mentioned that he is a fellow flier.

Reinhard

If he was, as you say a "Licensed Pyrotechnician", he would not be having any Issue whatsoever aquiring Black Powder.

If he was, as you say a "Licensed Pyrotechnician", he would not be having any Issue whatsoever aquiring Black Powder.

red_flags-380x285.jpg

4f can be hard to get your hands on in NY and NJ. But it's certainly not impossible. If you're having trouble finding some, the place to ask is your club.

Last edited:
Ok - I'm happy to admit when I'm wrong... but dude, give us some background, maybe an introduction or something... :facepalm:

leo.jpg

Back