Build Thread: "Fiat Lux," A 7.5in Thumper Night Flyer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WayneCoins

Reaction score
I recently posted a thread asking about recommended engines, and after some help in choosing appropriate motors I have begun the build stage of my rocket.

Details:
75mm motor mount, I will be using 54mm motors and an adapter (likely a J760 for my first flight)
I'm placing a Stratologger altimeter in the fin can to handle the ejection (it's not dual deploy, I'm just going to deploy at apogee)
Rather than using LED's, I'm using 9 hi-output xenon lights (the emergency strobes used on small aircraft and ships), these are powered by two NiMh batteries mounted in the body tube, wired in two separate circuits

After this post I'll begin uploading pictures of my progress.

20141017_233828.jpg
Here is the motor mount assembly with attached aeropack retainer, and the nose cone

Sorry about the sideways images, I'll orient my camera differently from now on
20141017_233849.jpg
Here are the holes I'm drilling for the xenon lights. There will be three groups of three, spaced at 120 degrees.

20141017_233900.jpg
Here is one of the xenon lights.

THe lines on the rocket indicate the boundary zones for holes/wires/etc. The total distance between the top motor retainer ring and nose cone shoulder is only ten iches, luckily the nose cone has an area to put my chute when it's time to fly, the 7.5 inch diameter helps as well

20141018_221407.jpg20141018_221410.jpg
These are little box-things I'm making from plywood and angle stock, these will keep the batteries in place and safe from ejection gases. These will be mounted onto the forward centering ring and the side of the tube.

Last post for the night. I had to use both hands to solder and didn't take any pictures (yet). So here's a video of me testing the first circuit of lights (Note: they're facing inward so I can reach the back easy for soldering while also keeping the spacing correct to avoid loose wires).

Warning: Having a cold= Nasally voice
[video=youtube_share;nXBK7hwxb-s]https://youtu.be/nXBK7hwxb-s[/video]

If any of you have any questions/comments I'll address them when I wake up tomorrow. I plan on building my av bay sled tomorrow, finishing soldering, and gluing in the fins.

Back