Madcow Aerobee-Hi

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthewdlaudato

Reaction score
I picked this up at the July 4th Madcow sale, having always wanted an Aerobee. From what I can tell it is a minimalist 1/5 scale model of the sustainer section of the RV-N-13b (see https://www.astronautix.com/lvs/aeree150.htm.) By minimalist, I mean it has the general appearance of an Aerobee but not (for example) proper fin profiles, etc. Still, it is a nice rocket. I built it mostly stock, but turned the coupler into an av-bay so I can fly it with motor ejection + altimeter controlled cable cutter if I want to.

Here it is mostly complete (still need a retainer).

Aerobee-Hi-1.jpg

I took a 'field build' approach and used 5 minute epoxy for the entire build. (I'll use some JB to mount the retainer though). It is solid, has good internal and external fillets for the fins, so I don't expect any issues on H motors.

Aerobee-Hi-2.jpg

Last edited:
One coat of hi-build primer, plus the first sanded application of lightweight joint compound for the spirals. I still need to run a bead of compound along the faux conduits to smooth out where they meet the tube. Then more sanding and another coat of hi-build should make it ready for finish painting.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1414260340.001071.jpg

And so it sits - been too cold to work in the unheated garage, anxiously awaiting the next >45° day so I can safely fill remaining gaps and get some sanding done (strictly an outdoor activity, indoor dust and all that).

I ordered this kit on Black Friday, and am wondering about how I'll do the painting- how do you plan to paint yours?

Nate

Good question Nate, but leaning towards the scheme that Madcow shows on their site:

https://www.madcowrocketry.com/3-aerobee-hi/

One black, two white fins, burnt orange/brown body, silver nose & upper 6" of body.
Thanks,
Yeah, I was leaning towards the "default" paint scheme too..
Do you happen to know what paint manufacturer, if any, has something that will match that BT color?

Nate

Here is a pic of the way it is shown also in Rockets of the World:https://www.apogeerockets.com/Rocket_Kits/Skill_Level_5_Kits/Aerobee-Hi

Notice black tip on nose cone and white down from NC to top of strakes, this is the Navy version. Air Force has no black tip on NC and all white body. Lettering (decal) is to the right of black fin centered between black and white fin (strakes). One other detail would be a thin red alignment stripe just above lettering toward the black fin running from aft end to white on fore end. Color for NC is aluminum, Orange for the body is listed, what shade exactly? up to you I guess.

Last edited:
Here is a pic of the way it is shown also in Rockets of the World:https://www.apogeerockets.com/Rocket_Kits/Skill_Level_5_Kits/Aerobee-Hi

Notice black tip on nose cone and white down from NC to top of strakes, this is the Navy version. Air Force has no black tip on NC and all white body. Lettering (decal) is to the right of black fin centered between black and white fin (strakes). One other detail would be a thin red alignment stripe just above lettering toward the black fin running from aft end to white on fore end. Color for NC is aluminum, Orange for the body is listed, what shade exactly? up to you I guess.

That's a nice reference picture, thanks Jeff. I can imagine putting the red stripe on mine - would be a nice detail.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1428016131.051366.jpg

Praise (insert favorite deity here) and pass the rattle can! It is warm enough to paint here in Boston! Got home from work and immediately threw on rocket clothes and hit the garage to add another coat of hi build.

I flew the unpainted Aerobee yesterday on a CTI H125 Classic drilled down to around 8s delay. Perfect flight and recovery. Rocket has earned a proper paint job - stay tuned.

And for the record, yes, you can build a Level one capable rocket using 5 minute epoxy (Loctite from Home Depot in this case)! JB Weld for the retainer was the only exception on this rocket.

I had a great flight on an CTI I55 Mellow, 9 sec delay on the Aerobee Hi last weekend. Came of the rail with much more authority than I was expecting and just kept climbing and climbing!

I had a great flight on an CTI I55 Mellow, 9 sec delay on the Aerobee Hi last weekend. Came of the rail with much more authority than I was expecting and just kept climbing and climbing!

It really is a great kit - it powered off the rail and flew straight and true with zero roll. I55 - interesting choice, that 7s burn must have been impressive!

It really is a great kit - it powered off the rail and flew straight and true with zero roll. I55 - interesting choice, that 7s burn must have been impressive!

Just about dead-still winds as the 55n is a wee lighter powered than I'm used to (I like > 10:1 t:w) but I get complaints that my launches give whip-lash symptoms... Lots of folks liked the long burn. I just kept thinking, "Oh this one is going to give me a long walk". She Rocsim'd out at about 5,200' I didn't have an altimeter to verify though. I was concerned that the 9 sec delay was going to be short but from where I could see it was OK.

image.jpg

Just about dead-still winds as the 55n is a wee lighter powered than I'm used to (I like > 10:1 t:w) but I get complaints that my launches give whip-lash symptoms... Lots of folks liked the long burn. I just kept thinking, "Oh this one is going to give me a long walk". She Rocsim'd out at about 5,200' I didn't have an altimeter to verify though. I was concerned that the 9 sec delay was going to be short but from where I could see it was OK.

Nice. I didn't have an altimeter either, but similar mass rockets on that motor went to about 1200' (weighs in at 3.4 pounds dry, w/o motor and casing).

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1442177031.557349.jpg

First pass at fillets for the gaps between the conduit and the body. Used wallboard joint compound. Excess will sand off easily and then I'll do a touch up pass.

Good flier, but even with the cutter working flawlessly at 700', tough winds today at Amesbury, MA. Power company notified by local police (who are very rocket aware and friendly!) I'll hang out here for a while but it will make it to the local police station no matter what.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1443300426.415692.jpg

Whole ordeal took less than 30 minutes - I highly recommend contacting the local police first. Rocket safely in the back of the car for a cozy ride home. No damage.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1443307201.069052.jpg

Attached an OpenRocket sim file - I couldn't find one in the usual locations online so built this one myself. It sims to within 100' of my actual flight data, so calling it good enough. Note that I include turning the coupler into a altimeter bay - you may need to do some adjustments if you build it stock. Mass is overridden to what my actual rocket mass is also, so you will need to weigh your rocket and override at the Stage level.

View attachment MadcowAerobeeHi.ork

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1474683995.624504.jpg
Aerobee is finally getting a proper paint job. Here's the fins, two white one black as in the photo a few posts back. Paint lines came out sharp, happy so far.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1474747258.383514.jpg
Fins and top of body taped off and ready for color coat. Duplicolor Burnt Orange Metallic through the HVLP head.

Finish coat on the body. The top few inches will be silver, as will be the nose cone. Frog Tape is my choice for masking, then brown paper wrap on top of that for the big areas.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1474752128.677316.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1474752183.115138.jpg

Here are the photos I got of that first launch. It was my first time at Amesbury, before we had met.

DSCN1288.jpg

DSCN1289.jpg

Nice Matt, Looks great. I used one of these for my L2 cert. I made the coupler into an av bay as well and used a Stratologger CF for dual deploy. I flew it at NYPower20 on a J381SK to 4464ft.

Back