Madcow Aerobee-Hi

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice Matt, Looks great. I used one of these for my L2 cert. I made the coupler into an av bay as well and used a Stratologger CF for dual deploy. I flew it at NYPower20 on a J381SK to 4464ft.

Thanks Mike, I've rigged it now for charge based DD, so next time it will use motor eject at apogee and then altimeter control to fire a main deploy charge. I can imagine how it screams off the pad on a J!

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1476561710.964380.jpg
Tested the new dual deploy charge configuration. Nose is friction fit - the Doghouse Rocketry 0.5g charge well with integrated terminal, packed with FFFF did a fine job. Separation was energetic enough to do this - a bit of slack left in the cord. Should be good to fly.

That looks great! I used mine to do both my L1 and L2 certs. It's a great flier, and took off stupid fast on an AT J 270 to 5188 ft.

That looks great! I used mine to do both my L1 and L2 certs. It's a great flier, and took off stupid fast on an AT J 270 to 5188 ft.

Thanks! I've never flown it on a J, only G and H, but with the current DD config, should not be a problem.

Small mod to the altimeter bay. Added the additional rings to the back of the cap so I could install the brass inserts. These make for a solid attachment point for the 2-56 steel screws that secure the bay to the payload section.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1483026657.193488.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1483026683.820449.jpg

Hey Matt, I know it's been a while, but what paint brand and color did you use for the orange on the body?

Thanks, -Mike

Hey Matt, I know it's been a while, but what paint brand and color did you use for the orange on the body?

Thanks, -Mike

Mike, it was Burnt Orange Metallic from Duplicolor. Quart can picked up from my local auto part store, sprayed it on with my HVLP rig.

Very Cool, best color I've seen for this model, I am building the Semroc Kit, so it is much smaller. As I recall Duplicolor sells their stuff in rattle cans as well.
Thanks for the info,
-Mike

The Duplicolor rattle can color is called Orange Mist Metallic, but visually seems identical to me.

View attachment 303392
Tested the new dual deploy charge configuration. Nose is friction fit - the Doghouse Rocketry 0.5g charge well with integrated terminal, packed with FFFF did a fine job. Separation was energetic enough to do this - a bit of slack left in the cord. Should be good to fly.

Are you planning on using any shear pins at least for the nose cone.

Are you planning on using any shear pins at least for the nose cone.

I might. I did have one DD flight where the nose popped prematurely. Shear pins are a pain though with the cardboard tube, so I’d need reinforcement of some kind. Maybe a layer of glass on the upper 4” of the body and a repaint to make it look good. Not a fan of the ‘brass strips’ technique some use.

Back