Clear Coats for Rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gna

average joe-overbuild member
Reaction score
I have questions about clear coats over decals.

• I understand many people use Future. I have an airbrush and it is no problem to spray. If I spray today, will it be dry by tomorrow? It looks like it will be nice weather...
  • I also have Krylon Crystal Clear. Will that damage decals? It says it's clear acrylic, but the listed chemicals (xylene, tolulene) give me pause. If it's ok, though, I can spray outside today.

Thank you,
Gary

I was warned back in the 90's that Krylon clear will dissolve decals and I've stayed clear ever since. I have had very good success with Top Flite Lustrekote (found in the RC section of your LHS or Tower Hobbies) Crystal Clear. I was making my own decals for RC models a few years ago on an Alps printer. After printing a decal sheet, I'd spray the sheet with Lustrekote Crystal Clear and let dry. I'd then apply the decals, let dry and mist over some more clear. Never had a problem.

https://www.monokote.com/lustrekote/lustrekote.html

Rob

• I understand many people use Future. I have an airbrush and it is no problem to spray. If I spray today, will it be dry by tomorrow? It looks like it will be nice weather...

I have been using Future (or Pledge with Future(?)) for several years now. I apply it with a cheap foam art brush. It's usually dry in one hour or less. Of course, I live in Southern California where there is low humidity. :wink:

I have Pledge with Future, but haven't used it yet. I also have Krylon Crystal Clear and use it all the time, on top of decals. Lots of people here hate Krylon for some reason, it's always been good to me. Krylon has never messed up my decals.

• I also have Krylon Crystal Clear. Will that damage decals? It says it's clear acrylic, but the listed chemicals (xylene, tolulene) give me pause. If it's ok, though, I can spray outside today.

Thank you,
Gary

Gary:
The very short answer to your question about Krylon Clears....actually any rattle can clear. is YES they do more harm then good.
Because of the chemistry of ALL rattlecan clears they become very brittle shortly after full cure. typical bumps and banging around in your vehicle, handling and landings can and do cause some of this hardened clearcoat to chip off taking with it part of your decals.
Another major factor is Most rattle can clears EXPECIALLY Crystal Clear #1301 Krylon contain 0% UV inhibitors.
Krylon 1305 Gloss UV resistant clear is OK but as with all others still gets brittle as it dries.

Future Actually Pledge with Future (for Tile floors) is an acrylic polymer that bond to the surface but can be recoated at any time with a new coat without damaging the underlying decals or paint.

Personally I now UV clear coat my decal sheets before cutting and applying them. What "Protects" them is Future or Nu-finish Polymer.
I

I have been using Future (or Pledge with Future(?)) for several years now. I apply it with a cheap foam art brush. It's usually dry in one hour or less. Of course, I live in Southern California where there is low humidity. :wink:

Just how heavily are you coating your rocket with this stuff?
I brushed on my rocket and it was dry within ten minutes...indoors in October in SE Ohio. Not exactly the desert Southwest either...

Just how heavily are you coating your rocket with this stuff?
I brushed on my rocket and it was dry within ten minutes...indoors in October in SE Ohio. Not exactly the desert Southwest either...

Kirk:
a single coat applied with a foam polybrush is all that's necessary. If you'd like to add a bit more insurance add a coat of Nu-Finish Polymer over the future after about a week.

The Ultimate Clear Coat, IMHO, doesn't come from a rattle can, or can be sprayed with a air brush, or put on like floor finish.
Any fishermen out there? Anyone who's made fishing poles? Then you might know what it is.
It's self leveling clear flexible epoxy finish disigned to go over the wraps on a fishing rod.
I finished a 100+ year old walnut gun stock with it. I'll edit and post a pick after lunch.
Strengthens anything it's put on, stays flexible, and will take a darn good beatin and will look like new for years.
Deep Clear look, looks deeper than the finish really is.
Put it overy anything and it won't mess with paint or decals.

The Ultimate Clear Coat, IMHO, doesn't come from a rattle can, or can be sprayed with a air brush, or put on like floor finish.
Any fishermen out there? Anyone who's made fishing poles? Then you might know what it is.
It's self leveling clear flexible epoxy finish disigned to go over the wraps on a fishing rod.
I finished a 100+ year old walnut gun stock with it. I'll edit and post a pick after lunch.
Strengthens anything it's put on, stays flexible, and will take a darn good beatin and will look like new for years.
Deep Clear look, looks deeper than the finish really is.
Put it overy anything and it won't mess with paint or decals.

Sounds very interesting Woody. I wonder how much weight a finish like that would add, compared to rattle clear and floor finish ?

Do you have a name? What kind of epoxy is this?

www.mudhole.com is where I got it, they have 2 now.

Take your pick... And they have all kinds of epoxys. Including Paste for fillets. Everyone should check out their epoxies. Us Old Rod Builders R Smart!!!

https://www.mudhole.com/Rod-Building/BD-Classic

And if you really want a nice pearl escents... Try this...

https://www.mudhole.com/Rod-Building/Paints-Pigments/CRB-Pearl-Metallic-Powder-Marbling-Pigment

And if you really want to go wild...

https://www.mudhole.com/Rod-Building/Paints-Pigments/CRB-Pearl-Metallic-Powder-Marbling-Pigment-32-Piece-Kit

GLITTER, EEEMMMM.....

https://www.mudhole.com/Rod-Building/Rod-Building-Supply-Kits/Glitter-Kit-8-Colors

Last edited:
Note that Future eats laser printed decals. Clear coat them with something else before application if you want to use Future over the whole thing.

Latest posts

Back