cesearoni tail cones and min-diameter retainers

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julian

Reaction score
i am likely to be building a 38mm min-diameter rocket for cesearoni motors. i was wondering what sort of spacer-type thing i can get to that will make the ceasearoni casing work with the aeropack retainers?

also what sort of tail cones (if any) can be used on a min-diameter rocket with cesearoni motors. Tail-cones are important for drag reduction, as we all know.

thanks; i am very much a novice at re-loadable motors.

Julian

i am likely to be building a 38mm min-diameter rocket for cesearoni motors. i was wondering what sort of spacer-type thing i can get to that will make the ceasearoni casing work with the aeropack retainers?

also what sort of tail cones (if any) can be used on a min-diameter rocket with cesearoni motors. Tail-cones are important for drag reduction, as we all know.

Julian

See here for CTI adapters:

https://aeropack.net/min_dia_retainers.asp

I also have a 38 MD project and considered using these things. However, mounting (glue?) the retainer 20" deep in a body tube (to accommodate a 6XL case) and ensuring the precise distance for the adapters was too much bother for me. I would like to know how others are installing these retainers. I decided to just friction fit.

As for tail cones, I am not sure. You are already at minimum diameter.

Julian

As the "Aft Closure" for a Cesaroni 38mm reload is an integral part of the reload nozzle and threads into the casing I don't know where you would find a tail cone for them.
I don't think Aerotech makes one for their 38mm RMS motors either. IIRC they tried but had problems with the different nozzle lengths. Some caused the aft closure to melt and that is always bad. :eyepop:

As Buckeye said Aeropack makes a minimum diameter motor retainer that glues into the airframe and an adapter that screws into the the ejection well of a PRO38 motor. You will need to decide what the largest/longest motor you want to fly and install the retainer at that point. Aeropack also makes adapters for the different length casings.
Good luck on your build and flight.

I think the smart thing to do with the Aeropack would be to drill and tap it through the airframe in several locations. That way you can move it for different length motors.

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

As the "Aft Closure" for a Cesaroni 38mm reload is an integral part of the reload nozzle and threads into the casing I don't know where you would find a tail cone for them.
I don't think Aerotech makes one for their 38mm RMS motors either. IIRC they tried but had problems with the different nozzle lengths. Some caused the aft closure to melt and that is always bad. :eyepop:

As Buckeye said Aeropack makes a minimum diameter motor retainer that glues into the airframe and an adapter that screws into the the ejection well of a PRO38 motor. You will need to decide what the largest/longest motor you want to fly and install the retainer at that point. Aeropack also makes adapters for the different length casings.
Good luck on your build and flight.

You can order a tailcone made for a reload from CTI themselves. It is simply machined from the plastic thrust ring on the closure, apparently.

I think the smart thing to do with the Aeropack would be to drill and tap it through the airframe in several locations. That way you can move it for different length motors.

Mark Koelsch

+1. I used PEM nuts on mine, allowing it to be removed, or repositioned if necessary.

Mark Koelsch

Mark
That is a good idea. Because you would not be using motor ejection multiple holes in airframe would not mater.

Back