Hobby lobby and estes composite motors ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek

Reaction score
Does hobby lobby still carry the estes (aerotech) composite motors?

It has been a while since I've been in hl and I don't make to make the trip if they stopped carrying them.

thanks!

The ones near me have gotten rid of the composite motors and now carry the 29mm Black Powder ones.

bummer. that is what I seem to remember as well.

thanks!

Sonic starters but no composites at ours

Launching rockets (or missiles in my case) is so easy a chimp could do it. Read a step, do a step, eat a banana.

Sent from my iPad Air using Rocketry Forum.

In my area they have a couple packs of the sonic starters but no composites,

What are composites, and how do they differ from Black Powder motors?

Composite motors are ap motors like aerotech, loki, gorilla, and CTI.

What are composites, and how do they differ from Black Powder motors?

Motors with much higher specific impulse propellant than BP -- therefore much lighter for the same power. Also considerably more expensive.

Composite propellant usually requires different ignition systems than BP motors.

Motors with much higher specific impulse propellant than BP -- therefore much lighter for the same power. Also considerably more expensive.

Composite propellant usually requires different ignition systems than BP motors.

Thank you for the explanation!

another way to look at it, a composite D motor can fit in the same motor mount as a C motor and weighs only 2g more. one could use one in say an Estes wizard...if you didn't want to see it again :).
Rex

thanks guys. I found a couple of estes composite motors I had squirreled away from previous trips to hl so I was good.

that is a bummer that they don't stock them anymore. it was a pretty good deal. :(

When Estes came out with the Pro Series II E2X line and the BP motors, HL dropped the original Pro Series II and AP motors. Don't know why. With the 40% off coupon, it was a great way to get cheap AP motors with no HAZMAT!

When Estes came out with the Pro Series II E2X line and the BP motors, HL dropped the original Pro Series II and AP motors. Don't know why. With the 40% off coupon, it was a great way to get cheap AP motors with no HAZMAT!

They dropped the composites because they no longer sold any rockets that recommended them. All of the E2X have BP only recommendations.

Back