Field Box Ideas

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knundrm

Lifetime Member
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've recently gotten back into model rockets and would like some ideas on how to be better organized when going to the field to launch. I have my BP motors in a Plano box but most everything else is a disorganized jumble in cardboard box.

Would be interested in ideas and pics on field/launch boxes that others have come up with.

It all started with one box, then two...

Years later I now I take "several" small boxes organized by function. For example, a box for BP motors, one for AP motors ... For me it's an easier managed solution than just one box.

Clear.Box.Stack.jpg

That said, go to a fishing store (like a Bass Pro) and look at their tackle boxes and see if one fits your needs.

Just keep in mind that you may outgrow your boxes and adapt.

Greg

I cut back by flying each rocket once. Everything done at home but igniers and deployment charges.

What Greg said. I have two Tackle boxes, one for small rocket recovery, the other for ignition. A Plano box for small motors. A long flat storage bin for HPR motor casings and altimeter bays, a squarish bin for big chutes and cords. But I walked onto the field for my first BAR launch 5 years ago with a plastic bag holding my 1973 Estes Scout!

Here's a motor box that's catching on like crazy at the launches I attend. The top portion is perfect for standard 18mm motors, and the lower section, with bigger boxes, fit up to 3.75" BP motors, like E9's. When you fold out the top section, legs come out that support the entire case, unlike a tackle box. These are available at Home Depot.

DSCF2828a.jpg DSCF2838.JPG

I use a KOBALT case that I got from Lowe's with one tray and a lid compartment that suited my needs. Just like this one.

KOBALT Tool Box.jpg

Two tackle boxes and a 18" x 18" x 18" WW2 era 105mm fuse container almost full of motors. It has 4 of those finger-pinching clip latches, a rubber seal in the lid groove that's still good and 2 handles. Makes a good seat when you need it or a place to build a motor. Still OD green with the red lettering, I wasn't about to paint an antique white and put "EXPLOSIVES" in big red letters on the side like the ATF wanted us to :p

I have another one, in case the first gets full ;)

Here's a motor box that's catching on like crazy at the launches I attend. The top portion is perfect for standard 18mm motors, and the lower section, with bigger boxes, fit up to 3.75" BP motors, like E9's. When you fold out the top section, legs come out that support the entire case, unlike a tackle box. These are available at Home Depot.

View attachment 187744 View attachment 187745

I'm presuming that this case is the Husky 22 in. Cantilever Plastic Organizer with Metal Latches

View attachment 187753View attachment 187754View attachment 187755

I've been using the Husky brand cases from Home Depot for a few years now and have had no problems with them.

no longer use the divider/trays in the bottom section.

And this case is the same?

That's a nice box.

I'm presuming that this case is the Husky 22 in. Cantilever Plastic Organizer with Metal Latches[/URL]
And this case is the same?

Same type of box, except that old-dude has the one with a deeper lower section. All of the boxes are removable so you can customize the spacing.

I just bought two of these. One Ketter and One Huskey. Great boxes.

I neglected to point out that the box in the first image I posted (my motor box) is not a divided sorter chest. It's a tool box designed to carry larger power tools (drills, circ saws, etc) and as such it's a bit larger than conventional tool boxes. It also has a locking hasp which the other boxes do not. I believe it cost about $30 and I haven't seen them at Home Depot in a while.

Back