Ideas needed for USAF Heritage project...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viperfixr

Born Again Rocketeer
Reaction score
Being stationed at Nellis AFB in Nevada, I was recently invited to the 57th Munitions Flight for the ribbon cutting of their 'Heritage Room". Think of a bar with a lot of historical and cool things hanging from the walls where they socialize on late Friday afternoons. This particular organization builds ALL of the conventional munitions for Nellis AFB, which actually accounts for about 1/5th of all the expenditures across the USAF in a year--and that is A LOT. They know munitions very, very well. My rocketry passion came up, and the Chief Master Sergeant in charge invited me to build a rocket for their Heritage Room, fly it, then hang it from the ceiling above the 'bar' area. I am excited to do such a project, but I am struggling on what to pursue. Nellis is a all-fighter base with a long-ago bomber history. In fact, it is often called "The Home of the Fighter Pilot", but it is really the heart of the Combat Air Forces.

Whatever it is, this rocket should be large and visually appealing. The AIM-120B is often done and kinda easy for the the 1/2 scale size, but the 1/2 scale FG kit isn't cheap for 1 or 2 flights. Harder even for 1:1 scale. The AIM-9M is so old school, and the AIM-9X isn't stable however you try to make it work--it's made to be VERY maneuverable (the "X" is awesome). Of course, they build every kind of gravity weapon in the US military arsenal, but bombs and cluster munitions do not always make fantastic rockets. There are AGM-88s, AGM-65s and other missiles to go after, potentially. Options, options, options...

Keep in mind that this rocket may only fly once or twice before before becoming a museum piece. So, I am not really inclined to bother GaryT for a full-size AIM-120 in fiberglass when it's life is somewhat limited. I was thinking of a LOC Expediter and painting it like a fake USAF missile. Or, perhaps a LOC V-2 painted up. Maybe a 5.5" Polecat Thumper in some kind of USAF insignia. A scratch build is an option, but my time more limited that anything else--so I am inclined to adapt an existing kit.

What ideas do you all have? Any and all suggestions welcomed.

Mark

AIM-9P Sidewinder (while you're at it, can you get me some detailed drawings of the rollerons)

or

ASM-135 ASAT

Last edited:
You're at a fighter base...fighter guys think of themselves as fighters first (ie air to air) and strikers (mud movers) a distant second.

If you're going to do a missile, an AAM should be the way to go. And most definitely NOT a SAM.

Obviously, 'winder or Slammer variants are good...but boring.

Now, you could do a Vietnam era Sparrow (AIM-7). Or, if you want to get more exotic...a early Falcon (AIM-4).

A large scale Falcon would be very stable, and certainly would be a conversation starter. And here's the thing...it's about the smallest AAM that the USAF has ever used. If you wanted to get REALLY exotic...you could build one in 1:1 scale. It's doable...

640px-RB24B_RB24J_RB27_RB28.JPG

Something to think about.

FC

hmm, there is the AIR-2 genie rocket, and the AIM47 super falcon to name a couple of lesser known anti-air munitions.
Rex

Last edited:
hmm, there is the AIR-2 genie rocket, and the AIM47 super falcon to name a couple of lesser known anti-air munitions.
Rex

I knew of the AIM-47 (but not it's name) from the YF-12A model I built. Looks like a longer version of the Phoenix missile.

When I was at Nellis ('79-'83), there were two external weapons that I saw a lot of (not counting the internal guns): AIM-9's and MK-82's. During that time, the 474th transitioned from F-4D's to F-16's (General Dynamics "electric jet" was just coming into the inventory) and the 57th FWW was flying F-5's, F-4E's, F-15's, and A-10's all flew AIM-9's (yes, even an A-10, at least once). Most of the AIM-9's that the fighters flew of that era were the L/P variants, and the M variant may have been coming into the inventory before I got out, but can't recall for sure.

Regardless, the things that are the most meaningful to people tend to be the things that they saw the most during their years of service. A flight of Hueys can evoke a lot of emotions for Vietnam vets, and the AIM-9 has a long history with a lot of pilots.

If it were me, I'd go with an AIM-9P or M.

:2:

Greg

I can't really advise on what to build, but if money is a concern I can say I'd contribute if you set up a fundraiser page somewhere. It's a noble cause and right up our alley. I'm sure others would pitch in too.

Good luck.

ran across this composite sketch of an aim 54 superimposed over an aim47 the phoenix is 2" larger in diameter and 6" longer.
Rex

aim-47b-1.jpg

ran across this composite sketch of an aim 54 superimposed over an aim47 the phoenix is 2" larger in diameter and 6" longer.
Rex

The AIM 47 that came in the Testors kit has three sets of fins which this photo shows clearly.

AIM47 on the left, Phoenix on the right.

Last edited:
the aim47b and later mods would probably have had folding fins for 'compact carry'.
Rex

The Madcow AGM-33 Pike 4" looks very interesting. But, that AIM-4 Falcon looks about right--I would if I could modify a Madcow Phoenix kit to look like a Falcon (except for the noseone).

The Madcow AGM-33 Pike 4" looks very interesting. But, that AIM-4 Falcon looks about right--I would if I could modify a Madcow Phoenix kit to look like a Falcon (except for the noseone).

Agree, both Madcow AGM-33 and Madcow Phoenix would be good choices. I like the AIM-4 Falcon as well. I got the idea for this Goonie by looking up photos on the net.

IMG_0048.jpg

There's a rocketry kit manufacturer that specializes in military rockets and missiles....
Mostly mid power stuff if memory serves,,,
but I bet you could get some ideas from that site...

I don't remember the name of the company....

Teddy

There's a rocketry kit manufacturer that specializes in military rockets and missiles....
Mostly mid power stuff if memory serves,,,
but I bet you could get some ideas from that site...

I don't remember the name of the company....

Teddy

The Launch Pad, but too small for this purpose, I think.

You're at a fighter base...fighter guys think of themselves as fighters first (ie air to air) and strikers (mud movers) a distant second.

If you're going to do a missile, an AAM should be the way to go. And most definitely NOT a SAM.

Obviously, 'winder or Slammer variants are good...but boring.

Now, you could do a Vietnam era Sparrow (AIM-7). Or, if you want to get more exotic...a early Falcon (AIM-4).

A large scale Falcon would be very stable, and certainly would be a conversation starter. And here's the thing...it's about the smallest AAM that the USAF has ever used. If you wanted to get REALLY exotic...you could build one in 1:1 scale. It's doable...

640px-RB24B_RB24J_RB27_RB28.JPG

Something to think about.

FC

What is a "Jaktrobot"????

Being just a mechanic and farmer's son, I don't know if I'm qualified to contribute here, but how about a PML 4" Amraam. 77" tall. Not too small. Not overly huge. Only $178.00. $169.00 if you're a Wildman club member.
I would be willing to chuck in a $20.00 as a contribution. I'm sure there will be more who would join in.

Adrian

Last edited:
Being just a mechanic and farmer's son, I don't know if I'm qualified to contribute here, but how about a PML 4" Amraam. 77" tall. Not too small. Not overly huge. Only $178.00. $169.00 if you're a Wildman club member.
I would be willing to chuck in a $20.00 as a contribution. I'm sure there will be more who would join in.

Adrian

You are VERY qualified to contribute..
Your thoughts and ideas are very worthwhile....
And you and your father have a noble profession.................

And this was a great idea in and of itself...............

I'll kick $20...................

Teddy

Maverick?

Launching rockets (or missiles in my case) is so easy a chimp could do it. Read a step, do a step, eat a banana.

Sent from my iPad Air using Rocketry Forum.

The AIM 47 that came in the Testors kit has three sets of fins which this photo shows clearly.

That Testor's kit is incorrect.

1024px-AIM-47.jpg

[video=youtube;WYKbPPRFE6o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYKbPPRFE6o[/video]

Two sets of fins in a similar layout to the earlier Falcon versions and the Phoenix.

I'd still recommend a full scale Falcon. Or a half-scale Sparrrow. Air to air and the old heads (F-4 drivers) would appreciate them and they are different from the 'winders and slammers that are everywhere.

FC

Back