Sidewinder 9b & 9L 1:17.79 Scale (T2+) models.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
a couple years ago (2007), I purchased and coverted a 1/18th Scale F-104 StarFighter 3 D12 Clustered PMC.
The original model came with two solid poured plastic Sidewinder AIM-9b's with a belly mounted rack. This got me to thinking weather it would be possible some how to Launch these two Sidewinders just as the Aircraft left the 6ft rod or rail?
Also I really wanted to drasticly reduce the mass of these missiles and if possible add two Wing tip mounted AIM-9L sideWinders just fun. These wing mounted T2+ minimum diameter Micro Scale sidewinders would not be launchable from the aircraft but could be flown from a standard micro launcher with mini-rail set up.

Other projects had the Sidewinders set aside for a long while until recently their turn came back up in the Que.
over the last couple weeks i've been playing around with different methods of getting the mass down. One is to have the forward canard fins free to move in the airstream thereby eliminating at least some of the needed nose weight.
I only have one of the 9L's particually completed, haven't added any nose weight or recovery streamer but the major external body, aft fin and forward canard fin work is done. Still have some fillet strip shaping to do. I substituded micro rail buttons for scale launch cleats but in the same postions. I've also created a pair of wing tip rail mounts which I will be adding to the F-104 once I've proven the rail lock pins will keep the model in place during flight and recovery.

The attached photos are raw from the camera so sorry for the condition, I'll try to clean them up and replace as time permits.
have to say making up 16 of these aft 10piece fins is just a bit daunting so progress on the next 3 Sidewinders has been slowed considerably LOL!

IMG_2315_09-22-14.jpg

IMG_2317_09-22-14.jpg

IMG_2317b_09-23-14.jpg

IMG_2319_09-24-14.jpg

IMG_2324_19-27-24.jpg

IMG_2325_09-28-14.jpg

IMG_2326_10-01-14.jpg

IMG_2327_10-01-14.jpg

Last edited:
I still want to build a 1/1 scale (or pretty close to it) AIM-9P (the missiles I worked with). I envision it with a 1/4A motor, a bang snap "warhead", a gyroscope, and the OWL 360 (rear view camera for bikes), and mounted to my bicycle. I could imagine the looks of motorists as they yield the lane to me as I try to get wherever I'm going.

I still want to build a 1/1 scale (or pretty close to it) AIM-9P (the missiles I worked with). I envision it with a 1/4A motor, a bang snap "warhead", a gyroscope, and the OWL 360 (rear view camera for bikes), and mounted to my bicycle. I could imagine the looks of motorists as they yield the lane to me as I try to get wherever I'm going.

I'm With Ya..Yeap!
For almost a full year back in the 80's I had two 6" diameter x 7'long clear acrylic end capped tubes slung on the running boards of my Van, In each I had a pair of Estes Phoenix BT-80 missiles, Not connected to anything, just sitting on foam blocks, nose to tail in the tubes. Had a magnetic sign on the back doors. "Go Right Ahead Punk...Make MY DAY!"
For some reason people stayed away from the Van while Parked or Moving LOL!! Md. State Troopers on the other hand didn't find it as funny. They gave me a choice; Remove the perceived distraction (the rockets) or pay a BIG fine. I chose to let them fly as intended at normal launches and removed the tubes to be used on other projects;) Was REALLY Fun for awhile though:)

Last edited:
The first of 2- AIM-9L Sidewinders has been Primed for sanding. some of the rough CA on the forward fins my not be smoothed out as it might break the bond between the styrene and wire shafts.

MM 410uc07_Sidewinder AIM-9L_Primed for sanding_03-21-15.jpg

Well here it is almost 7 years later and I'm just getting around to construction the 2nd Sidewinder AIM-9L and both Sidewinder AIM-9b starting way back when.

To be perfectly honest I've been putting these little jewels off looking for a better way to attach them to my 1/18th Scale F-104 StarFighter. The original idea was to use 2-56 nylon screw rail buttons in custom made Wing Tip launch rails (Not to be flown from the wing tips) and work out a pull-pin system to launch the two AIM-9b's just as the F-104 clears the 6ft launch rail.

Well I'm thinking the New Nanobeam rails are just what the doctor ordered. So I have started in ernest fabrication of the last 3 Sidewinders and applied the final coat of primer to the original Sidewinder AIM-9L.

Will have some progress photos in a couple days... Sorry going Bass fishing tomorrow LOL!

Here are a few new assembly pics from the 2nd AIM-9L . I've altered the assemble method for the forward canard fins flattening and giving a bend to secure the .022" stainless free spinning hubs a bit more grip between .020" styrene fin & .022" Flattened wire.
Hopefully this will allow very little needed additional nose weight. The Balsa NC has been drill out and 30 #9 (1.5g) lead shot installed with CA in AIM-9L #2. Intend to swing test in the next day or two. We'll see if our free spinning canards really reduce the amount of nose weight required. Estimated it be around 5g with stationary canards.

More Pics and commentary to follow as I add surface details and launch rail lugs.

Have to get the Sidewinder AIM-9b photos out of the camera. These do not have free spinning forward canards so will need whatever extra Mass our swing test dictate to fly from the underside of my 1:18th Scale F-104G Starfighter.

MM 4xxb-uc01a_.022in Stainless Wire Flattened_05-18-16.JPG

MM 4xxb-uc01b_4 holes forward Sect & bent .022 Canard wire_05-18-16.JPG

MM 4xxb-uc01c_Drill 2nd .022in Hole above 1st._05-18-16.JPG

MM 4xxb-uc01d_2nd Flattened wire in before 2nd bend_05-18-16.JPG

MM 4xxb-uc02a_4- 9L canard fins with angle cut layout_05-18-16.jpg

MM 4xxb-uc02b_1st pair Canards attachment cutouts_05-18-16.jpg

MM 4xxb-uc03a_Canard attachment Jig with head in place_05-18-16.JPG

MM 4xxb-uc03b_Canard in place,CA & MC fixed_05-1816.jpg

Last edited:
Badass work, as always.

Thanks Tonimus:
Just a follow up note on both AIM-9L and AIM-9b micro Sidewinders. all 4 are now ready for primer and all 4 have passed swing tests 3 without the addition of any extra nose weight. AIM-9L has the already installed 30 (1.5g) #9 shot. The fact that neither of the un-weighted models needed any additional nose weight surprised me a little as the Estes Sidewinder requires a load of Nose weight to be stable with the stationary forward canard fins. While my 9b's have considerably smaller foreward canards I just assumed I would need extra mass up forward to get the balanced, apparently not. I'm sorry I jumped the gun on AIM-9L #2 but it's far too late to remove the added nose weight now. AIM-9L will just have to be a bit over-stable.
Hope to get more of the build photos captioned and resized in the next couple days. I am looking forward to finishing these 4- T2+ body models as they have been in the pipeline and on the board for the last 7 years LOL!

HO! one more Great little discovery! I've mentioned several times the plan is to fly the AIM-9b Sidewinders from the undercarriage missile rack on my 1:18th scale F-104 Starfighter PMC. to that end I've been looking for a decent way to fabricate Add-on rails to the models Stock undercarriage rack. I'm pleased to announce with the addition of an .020" thick styrene sheet solvent welded to those tiny 390542 3/32" Plastruct H beam as stand-off Launch lugs both AIM-9b sidewinders can fly freely from short "Nanobeam" black rails eposy mated to the stock rail seat. Now all I have to do is rout the 7ft pull-Out plug and battery pack to launch them just after the model leaves the 1/4" x 6ft stainless Launch rod. Actually its the Lipoly battery pack giving me the biggest placement headache, since the F-104 model has been completed for about 5 years LOL!
More to come soon.

MM 419a-uc08_& b AIM-9L's  rolleron covers_ready for primer_06-04-16.JPG

MM 419b-uc04_white glue shoulder-shockline into Warhead_06-01-16.JPG

MM 419b-uc05a_.1875in wide bands position_06-01-16.JPG

MM 419b-uc05b_forward band & 2-56 LLug installed_06-01-16.JPG

MM 419b-uc05c_Aft band & 2-56 Nylon LLug installed_06-01-16.JPG

Last edited:
got around to captioning the photos of my pair of AIM-9b Sidewinders.

One of the things about this build that was so dunting centers around the fact I was about to build another dozen 11 piece rear fins. While Scale is one of the things I really enjoy that much repetition both cutting 132 new .015" to .030" tiny styrene pieces and then Solvent Welding them into 12rear fins (with the rolleron NOT rotating) just gave me pause. If I'd used a metal rolleron shaft that might have made it a little easier to take but alas I didn't think of that until nearly all were assembled.

I'll try to illustrate the rear fin construction on this scale ( 1:17.7936) some parts are very small. That said; some of you might want to try building at a bit larger size using the same technique that would easily allow the rollerons to be free to rotate. it might even be possible to file in the airstream vains. With a little more work they might even be able to hinge just like the real thing:)
Anyway below the first 3 photos showing the basic rear fin construction. Something not added to the caption, the base fin plate of .020" styrene is tapered to a near knife edge for the first 3rd of each plate from the breakline forward. After assembly and mounting on the body tube the .030" thich "attachment gussets" are solvent welded in place then the forward section of each side is tapered to meet the base plate. I found this as the best method rather than sanding each gusset (fillet) to a taper in the flat before application as the parts then alignment didn't work well on for first 2 pr tried.

After attaching our rear fins the flat 3pc forward canards are aligned and tacked in place with CA. After applying the hub discs all joints are given a light fillet of 5 minute epoxy between canard and body tube.

As mentioned in the previous post once the paper body wraps have been applied all that remain are the rolleron bearing hub covers and our Nanobeam Plastruct #90542 3/32" styrene H-beam lugs. I chose 1/4" in length just cause it looked right. I believe the actual lugs real world lugs are a bit shorter but I wanted to be sure our tiny lugs didn't bind in the rail. To allow for the body wrap thickness I also solvent welded a matching base .020" thick sytrene plate to the bottom of each lug. As it turns out that made for a just right spacing between rail and model. I changed the rolleron hub bearing diameter to a smaller disc. on AIM-9b's and AIM-9L #2. All 4 models are now ready for masking the LL's, primer and paint. Hope to get some of that done in the near future.

MM 419c-uc01a_Begin 1st of 8 rear Fins_05-20-16.JPG

MM 419c-uc01b_Rolleron Disc & Shaft installed_05-20-16.JPG

MM 419c-uc01c_2nd rolleron plate applied_05-20-16.jpg

MM 419c-uc02a_AIM-9b forward canards installed_05-22-16.JPG

MM 419c-uc02b_AIM-9B Canard hubs on_05-28-16.jpg

MM 419c-uc03a_& d AIM-9b w H-beam Nanobeam Lugs_06-04-16.JPG

MM 419c-uc03b_AIM-9b with H-Beam Lugs on Nanobeam_06-04-016.JPG

MM 419d-uc01a_AIM-9b Parts for both_05-22-16.jpg

MM 419d-uc01b_AIM-9b's 11pc Rear fins_05-22-16.JPG

Last edited:
Last 3 pre-primer photos:
AIM-9b Sidewinder d: Internal Motor block, shockline, 3/8" x 10" orange teflon tape streamer, fins, canards, & warhead nose section assembled.
Both AIM-9b Sidewinders c & d with body wrap bands installed.
Both AIM-9b Sidewinders c & d with Bearing covers and Launch Lugs complete ready for primer.

Now all we have to do is primer, paint and decal the four sidewinders. Then dig out my 1:18th Scale F-104 PMC which is now in storage, attach the completed Wing Tip launcher rails and retrofit the belly rails with Nanobeams to complete this LONG overdue project.
Still looking for a smaller 11.1v Lipoly package to power the two AIM-9b's from the belly launchers without adding much extra mass. While a 3-D12 cluster this 1:18th scale F-104 is a bit of a Piggy to start:)

MM 419d-uc02_AIM-9b Fins & Canards On_05-22-16.JPG

MM 419d-uc03_AIM-9b Body Bands applied_06-01-16.jpg

MM 419d-uc04_& c AIM-9b's after rolleron bearing covers_ready for primer_06-04-16.jpg

669p1_F-104G Starfighter_Base Construction Complete_08-19-07.JPG

669p2_F-104G Starfighter_Completed model hanging for rafter_08-26-07.JPG

669q2a_F-104G Starfighter_Custom WingTip Sidewinder Racks(MicroRailButton)_09-28-14.jpg

669q2b_F-104G Starfighter_Raw Sidewinder AIM-9L on WingTip (MicroRailButton)Rack_09-28-14.jpg

Last edited:
Well; Another week has gone with a good bit of new work on these 4 Down Scaled Sidewinders.
All 4 have been sanded, white base coated, Gloss White Top-Coated. After giving them a couple days to cure. Both AIM-9b and 9L's have been detail hand painted Silver, Blue and Dark Green Matte.

Again looking at the original 2007, 2-56" custom made rail buttons on the 9L's. I just can't leave them there! These buttons are just too large and Nasty looking. At the time they were the best that could be done. But now we have other options.... Yes; I know I've already finished the model with the exception of a few decals, but damn it these eye sores have got to go! This will also mean reworking the previously made Wing Tip Launcher Rails by removing the custom made 1/4" channels replacing them with same length (4-1/8") long Nanobeam Aluminum extrustions.
Below are some of the progress photos as the work has progressed. I've done some custom decals that will be added in the next day or two.

After removing and sanding off the Rail button mounts I've made up new 3/32" white styrene H-beam Launch Lugs with .030" styrene stand-off plates. These 4 new Lugs were 5 minute epoxy fixed in place. I'm still considering if I'm going to mask and repaint the main bodies. Probobly NOT!

Actually; I'm looking forward to getting these 4 little jewels completely finished. With the new Nanobeam H lugs on all four, I will be able to fly any of these models from one of my standard 30cm Nanobeam launch rails and Tripod platform.

Next will be some simple "lettering" decals and perhaps a couple color bands.

MM 419d-uc05_2 AIM-9b & 2-AM-9L Sidewinders in  White_06-12-16.JPG

MM 419d-uc06_&c AIM-9b's 2nd coat Painted Gloss White_06-14-16.jpg

MM 419d-uc07_&c AIM-9b Detail Paint & Nanobeam Rails_06-16-16.JPG

MM 419b-uc07_&a AIM-9L's Base Coated Gloss White_06-14-16.jpg

MM 419b-uc08a_remove 2-56 buttons_06-15-16.jpg

MM 419b-uc08b_remove custom Rail Channels from racks_06-15-16.JPG

MM 419b-uc10_Both AIM-9L WingTip NanoBeam Rails reworked_06-16-16.jpg

MM 419b-uc09_1st set .093 x .25in L-Lugs & Plates_06-15-16.JPG

MM 419b-uc11a_Both AIM-9L Detail Paint & Nanobeam .25in L-Lug on_06-16-16.JPG

MM 419b-uc11b_Pair AIM-9L Detail Paint on Nanobeam fitted WingTip Launchers_06-16-16.jpg

Last edited:
Stick a fork in them! these Babies are DONE!
Last night got the decals and Future coating completed. Updated the fleet lists and have all 4 Sidewinders prepped and ready to fly tomorrow (fathers day- @ ECRM-43 in Mt. Airy, Md. As sport flights.

Wow I just looked at the drawing date on the original AIM-9L McCoy's Micro Wonder Works Drawing dated 06-02-2007. Strange how some things take so darn long to work out the bugs LOL! Actually I'm very happy with the wait as it allowed the removal of those nasty looking 2-56" launch buttons that were designed for these models in the beginning. The tiny 1/4" long 3/32" H-beam lugs look much more scale like. Further the Wing-Tip Launchers now look a lot better also.
Still have to get the 1: 18th scale F-104G Starfighter PMC out of storage to make the final launcher add-ons but they should be a snap now.
Can't wait to get that big thing back in the air with all the Stores on board. Still having a little trouble finding a battery small enough to get into the tight space available but launching from the PMC or just along for the ride I'll be satisfied:)

Here are the first finished pictures. will add the Stat Photos with Mosquito for scale later. OH HAPPY DAY!
Ps: If I can catch a lift off shot of these little Light weight Micros' I'll post them sometime next week.

Here are the Stat Photos a week or so late:)

MM 419d-uc08_&c_AIM-9b's Decaled w Nanobeam Rails_06-18-16.JPG

MM 419b-uc12_&a_AIM-9L's Decal Complete w Nanobeam Racks_06-18-16.JPG

MM 419b-uc13_& a MM Sidewinder AIM-9L's Complete_06-18-16.jpg

MM 419d-uc09_& 419c MM Sidewinder AIM-9b's Complete_06-18-16.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! Just returned from an absolutely Outstanding flying day!
Old National Pike Park, Mt Airy, Md. had an almost perfect flying day, Temps in the low 80's, Clear nearly cloudless skys. A bit breezy at 10-12 mph most of the afternoon.

Big new is both AIM-9L and AIM-9b Sidewinders both performed almost flawlessly. With the breeze the AIM-9L with weather vaining forward canard fins did a little seaking at burnout but the flight was simply GREAT. Max Altitude was about 90-100ft but really a pretty flight.
First flight of the AIM-9b Sidewinder with fixed forward canard fins performed perfectly reaching 120-130 almost instantly off the Nanobeam rail launcher.

I'm also elated to report the Plastruct 3/32" H-beam styrene lugs performed friction free in the Nanobeam 30cm launch rail. Both Sidewinders instantly exited the rail at motor ignition.
As is usually the case with models in the 7g LOWt. class I did not catch the liftoff photos. got one just at ignition and a smoke trial..DRAT! but both models flown were recovered without any damage ready for their next flight.

I'm also really happy with the fact these models fly without any additional nose weight. I'm almost tempted to freeze the forward Canard fins on the 9L's to see if they will still fly as well. Too KEWL.

MM 419a-Lp01a_AIM-9L Sidewinder-a On Pad 1st Flt_06-19-16.jpg

MM 419a-Lp01b_AIM-9L_NanoBeam Countdown_06-19-16.jpg

MM 419a-Lp01c_AIM-9L @ Ignition(Great 1st Flight)_06-19-16.jpg

MM 419c-Lp01a_AIM-9b Sidewinder On Pad 1st Flt_06-19-16.jpg

MM 419c-Lp01b_AIM-9b Angle into the 10-12mph wind_06-19-16.jpg

MM 419c-Lp01c_AIM-9b @ Ignition(Perfect Flt)_06-19-16.jpg

Back