"Body Tubes are for Sissies" - Liftoff Pic

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aksrockets said:
"Body Tubes are for Sissies"
Ah yes, nothing like a little USTR spirit... ;)

Cool project! Thanks for sharing. Are you still planning to rebuild Playing with Fire for next year?
Aeronaut 2015 should be fun - too far out to know any specifics yet other than the fact that I know I'm going. After my last 2 launches I need to get some repairs and new projects started... TBD.

Ah yes, nothing like a little USTR spirit... ;)

Cool project! Thanks for sharing. Are you still planning to rebuild Playing with Fire for next year?
Aeronaut 2015 should be fun - too far out to know any specifics yet other than the fact that I know I'm going. After my last 2 launches I need to get some repairs and new projects started... TBD.
Aeronaut 2015 being "Fun" is the understatement of the century! If I was counting all the awesome, high altitude projects, I'd run out of fingers. We've got my PWF rebuild, a 54mm Flying case, Manny will bring some 4in MD out, There's going to be that 2 stage going to 2XX,XXX feet (but nobody heard that from me!!! Shhhhhh....), Maybe my L3, I'll probably make you make something, then a super cool 38md I motor flying to XX,XXX feet, Then a ton of stuff I'm probably forgetting. And we're still like 10 months away!

:grin:

Alex

Last edited:
Aeronaut 2015 being "Fun" is the understatement of the century! If I was counting all the awesome, high altitude projects, I'd run out of fingers. We've got my PWF rebuild, a 54mm Flying case, Manny will bring some 4in MD out, There's going to be that 2 stage going to XXX,XXX feet (but nobody heard that from me!!! Shhhhhh....), Maybe my L3, I'll probably make you make something, then a super cool 38md I motor flying to XX,XXX feet, Then a ton of stuff I'm probably forgetting. And we're still like 10 months away!

:grin:

Alex
Haha, that's the right attitude! :) Look forward to that staged project I know nothing about... An L3 cert would be awesome! Aren't you thinking a CTI 75mm-6GXL case with some fins? :wink:
I'll have "something" for sure - again, not sure what just yet. I do know however, that it will be with my own motors!!

How did you get the motor block (on the end of the motor) flat and not sticking out did you sand it?

Great flight by the way!

So if you took a O and made a minimum diameter rocket (basically a motor with a nosecone and fin on it), would it make orbit?

So O would barely make suborbital?

I think on the OP's rocket a launch lug should probably not be used... it is evident that the drag slowed it down. I wonder how much more mach could he squeeze out of it?

I'm not even sure it's possible without some kind of thrust vectoring and guidance system... making the altitude is one thing but then after the rocket hits the altitude, it needs to go up to like 8000 m/s or more before it could achieve stable orbit. It also needs to be thrusting in the right direction (not straight up) as well. I don't even think the rocket is traveling past 2000 m/s when it hits orbit altitude, so it will come back down.

It would be nice to achieve orbit without dumping junk into space though, not only it would make space cheaper to access, but it would also eliminate space junk.

They were the first amateur group to reach Low Earth Orbit.

[video=youtube;jbMoKbpo5tY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbMoKbpo5tY[/video]

Their flight was suborbital. It may reached the altitude at which something can orbit, but that doesn't make it in orbit.

How did I miss this? What a badass flight!! In those screen grabs it literally looks like a giant moving flame... you can't see the rocket...er...motor. Great job.

I guess no one here knows about the original "Machbuster" on an Aerotech G55. I launched 4, and others in the club launched a few. I was the only one that ever recovered one - and it was a year later, when it was found by someone looking for their rocket!

The Rocket Vision Mach Buster!! I had one, and it definitely disappeared on a G55! Cool motor. I still have the old Rocket Vision catalog.

Add me to the "Lost a Machbuster on a G55 on its maiden flight" club

Not many of us around! I also forgot to mention...RV's relabeled AT G55's had one thing not heard of in SU motors at the time: a built in thrust ring! They also did 24mm F72T's and E15W's IIRC. Remember that? That company was before it's time.

I think sending a rocket into orbital trajectory is also illegal without serious legal paperwork... after all if anyone could just send something to orbit at will, we could have the movie Gravity happen really soon. So even if CSXT was capable of sending stuff to orbit, they couldn't unless they had significant money and legal resources to do so. Then they'd just be another private space contractor.

The gravity at orbital altitude is about 90% of ground level by the way, those astronauts aren't weightless because of the lack of gravity, but it's because they are in a perpetual free fall.

Last edited:
The gravity at orbital altitude is about 90% of ground level by the way, those astronauts aren't weightless because of the lack of gravity, but it's because they are in a perpetual free fall.

I saw that in my physics book one day. It kinda blew my mind when I first saw it, then the more I thought about it the more it made sense. :)

I am curious though what it would be like if in the years to come the private aircraft industry moved into a private spacecraft industry. No doubt we'd probably all be long and gone before then, but it is something to wander about. "See ya, I'm leaving for my summer house on the Moon!" ;)

Well at current prices, about 20,000 or so per pound to send stuff to orbit, it would be impossible for anyone to afford private space travel unless they are Bill Gates. That is unless something like a space elevator gets built, then it could become affordable (but still expensive). Private space contractors are trying to do it by cutting cost but it begs the question if the cost cutting comes at the price of safety... you know like USSR...

Back