"Body Tubes are for Sissies" - Liftoff Pic

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NICE JOB ~ Really cool. I love the flame-to-rocket ration of 50:1 lol!!!

....noobs

https://rocketdungeon.blogspot.com/2009/06/info-on-dr-rockets-modular-aluminum.html

This meets your criteria but with more effort towards recovery. You used to be able to buy this system for yourself but it was not allowed for a 3rd level rocket.

It's in rstaff's Rocket Dungeon :)

Very true about using the system to certify but................. If one has the skills and the ability to make the fincan themself, it would be acceptable for certification
purposes. If one was going to do that, I would suggest dealing with the L3CC or TAP's very early in the process. Kurt

You should name that rocket "Book", because that thing has one heck of a story.

Edited for my dumb mistake

Last edited:
Well Done, congratulations on a fantastic flight and you recovered it ! WOWZA !

KEnny

Alex,
As always, very impressive.

How did the L2 cert flight go? Tell us THAT story too!

s6

10515743_725683834191337_1171411281_o.jpg

Photo by Clay R!

That should give you an idea about the real flame/length ratio.

Alex

I guess no one here knows about the original "Machbuster" on an Aerotech G55. I launched 4, and others in the club launched a few. I was the only one that ever recovered one - and it was a year later, when it was found by someone looking for their rocket!

I guess no one here knows about the original "Machbuster" on an Aerotech G55. I launched 4, and others in the club launched a few. I was the only one that ever recovered one - and it was a year later, when it was found by someone looking for their rocket!

Wasn't it from Apogee? Small 3fnc rocket that was essentially all motor.

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Launching a rocket you don't plan to recover is littering in my book.

majorly butt-kicking flight... tower launch the next one!

Tu-be or not Tu-be that is the question.

Now we have an answer.

So does buying it on a whim make it an “Impulse engine”?

Good flight, Alex!

Using 1-D gas dynamics for isentropic flow the stagnation temperature To can be found using

To = T ( 1 + .5(gamma - 1 ) M^2 )

T = ambient air in Rankine, let's say it was 65 Deg.F., so 460 + 65 = 525 Deg.R.
gamma = specific heat ratio of air = 1.4
M = Mach number = 2.2

then To = 573 Deg.F. This would be the maximum temperature possible most likely on the nose cone tip. This equation can be modified to include a recovery factor for an adiabatic (insulated wall) and will give a temperature Taw (adiabatic wall) somewhat lower.

Taw = T ( 1 + .5 R (gamma - 1 ) M^2 )

where R = recovery factor, somewhere between .8 and .9; assuming .85 gives

Taw = 497 Deg.F.

Either temperature is hot enough to do paint damage.

Good flight, Alex!

Using 1-D gas dynamics for isentropic flow the stagnation temperature To can be found using

To = T ( 1 + .5(gamma - 1 ) M^2 )

T = ambient air in Rankine, let's say it was 65 Deg.F., so 460 + 65 = 525 Deg.R.
gamma = specific heat ratio of air = 1.4
M = Mach number = 2.2

then To = 573 Deg.F. This would be the maximum temperature possible most likely on the nose cone tip. This equation can be modified to include a recovery factor for an adiabatic (insulated wall) and will give a temperature Taw (adiabatic wall) somewhat lower.

Taw = T ( 1 + .5 R (gamma - 1 ) M^2 )

where R = recovery factor, somewhere between .8 and .9; assuming .85 gives

Taw = 497 Deg.F.

Either temperature is hot enough to do paint damage.

View attachment 188339

Nice flight Alex, to bad I had to much work to do I couldn't make the launch, I would have liked to see it in person.

TA

Back