"Body Tubes are for Sissies" - Liftoff Pic

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aksrockets

Now with 8% more aluminum
Reaction score
This one's for you, CarVac.
Screen Shot 2014-10-16 at 3.37.37 PM.jpg
Let the flying case madness continue!

This motor was an impulse (heh heh) purchase. I crack myself up.

Aerotech 29mm Single use I205 White Lightning. I glued the fins straight to the motor and turned a nosecone plug and tailcone on my lathe. I wrapped FG around the NC plug to make a short, conical NC. That NC sits right on top of the motor case, resting on top of a short PVC coupler. It has a short shock cord and tracking powder. Sims say M2.3 and 9,300. All for under $40.

This might be the lightest rocket flown on an I motor. Only 1.23oz without motor. 12.35oz with motor.

This is a spin-off of my 38mm MD last year that flew on a J270, named "motor mounts are for sissies".

IMG_0860.jpgIMG_0861.jpgIMG_0862.jpgIMG_0864.jpg

This flies Saturday at the UROC research launch.

Alex

Very cool, I am guessing with a projected alt of 9,300 and no electronic tracker this may end up being a one flight no return launch. Looking forward to hearing the post launch report.

I love the idea and thinking that I will have to try it at some point. There are a good number of DMS motors out there. Unfortunately our waiver will only cover about 60% of that 9000 feet you expect. Otherwise it would be tempting to use the idea for a level 2 attempt. Perhaps I could so something similar with super draggy fins (maybe a 6 inch diameter cone for fins) on a J motor.

Right now I won't be flying much level 2 anyway because it is a bit more expensive then I can handle regularly. Then again, it wouldn't work since you have to be able to relaunch it and that won't be possible with no motor mount.

Last edited:
Hmm, may need to do that with this...

View attachment 187551

Maybe it can be done with single use cases built around mellow propellant, in the absence of new Ellis Mountain motors.

This one's for you, CarVac.
View attachment 187545
Let the flying case madness continue!

This motor was an impulse (heh heh) purchase. I crack myself up.

Aerotech 29mm Single use I205 White Lightning. I glued the fins straight to the motor and turned a nosecone plug and tailcone on my lathe. I wrapped FG around the NC plug to make a short, conical NC. That NC sits right on top of the motor case, resting on top of a short PVC coupler. It has a short shock cord and tracking powder. Sims say M2.3 and 9,300. All for under $40.

This might be the lightest rocket flown on an I motor. Only 1.23oz without motor. 12.35oz with motor.

This is a spin-off of my 38mm MD last year that flew on a J270, named "motor mounts are for sissies".

View attachment 187546View attachment 187547View attachment 187548View attachment 187549

This flies Saturday at the UROC research launch.

Alex

That's the way I like it. Who needs a fincan even, when you have fins.

but, that's a motor.. but it's a rocket.... and there are fins sticking on it... with, and, the thing sticking out the top for the BP... and paint.. right on the motor (ooh, shiny).... wudabout recovery... who needs recovery, it's a motor.. no its a rocket... but its a motor.:surprised:

That's pretty cool, I never thought you could get something 29mm to mach 2- I'll be excited to see a video of the flight! That thing looks fast just sitting there. It really does just about epitomize single use in every sense of the rocket... very interesting all around.

Nate

I had not planned on attending the launch tomorrow but I may have to drive over just to see this thing fly.

Thank's for the interest everyone. The car is packed up and loaded for tomorrow. I packed a generous amount of tracking powder, a shock cord and glued a launch lug on (No towers available). You bet Ill have cameras running.

T-16 hours.

Alex

I came, I flew, I recovered. Yes, recovered.
DSC02008.jpg

No, the video isn't the best I've ever taken, but its better then nothing.

[video=youtube;BJIYKFzxy2k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJIYKFzxy2k[/video]

The impressive part is, I got it back! (thanks Jim B!) Jim stumbled upon it while searching for a rocket of his own. The post flight damage is pretty cool. Judging by the heat damage, no doubt this was over Mach 2.

DSC02608.jpg Charred and bubbled paint on the Nosecone
DSC02610.jpgThe black is where the paint from the NC ran down the tubing.
DSC02611.jpgHeat damage on the fins
DSC02612.jpgThe launch lug crumpled during flight.

Maybe I'll try this with a 38mm case. AT needs to make a 38mm baby K.

Alex

Last edited:
Thanks for the photos and the build thread. Nicely done.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Man! That thing teleported! I can't believe you got that back. Really not much you can do with it now except put it on the shelf. Good Job!

Should build one of these for the Loki J1000

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Back