"Contents Under Pressure" - Static Test Cato

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know its a drive Alex but you are welcome to my welder anytime mostly. I use a lanthanated tungsten (Silver paint) with high power AL I tend to vaporize pure tungsten faster. Once again see the dirty hack. part. RFO I have always been told to use a stainless brush as well what do you recommend. Let me dig around Alex I have a handy chart for aluminum and filler rod selection based on alloy.

I wish I had some pictures but on old race car builder I knew built a really cool fixture for welding round things. It was a flywheel and starter off of a car hooked to a speed control with a lathe chuck mounted to the flywheel. We would set the speed and weld full round without stopping.

Subscribed. Looking good!
And if I switch from beautiful steel bell nozzles to graphite (which I will have to do anyways to fly off of the farm) I will have to consider a sexy nozzle carrier instead of a flat washer.

Finished welding it this morning. Everything went well but I had to go off course with the purge setup. The heat melted the tape holding in the purge line. I ended up making a "purge line burrito" with an old glove and that worked alright. Wish I had taken a pic. Here are the pictures i got:

Pre-weld setup: ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1418074494.620671.jpg

Tacked and preheating with an oxy-acetylene torch:
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1418074509.938324.jpg
The completed weld:
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1418074552.783362.jpg

Not too bad. It'll work.

Alex

Good work Alex, I say you did a fantastic job on it.

Alexander Solis

TRA - Level 1
Mariah 54 - CTI RedLightning- I-100 - 6,345 Feet

Trimmed the ends off and turned it down. See if you can tell where the weld is!
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1418163702.042366.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1418163713.221959.jpg

Of course it isn't turned down fully. I just wanted to see if the weld would come off well.
I think it turned(he he he) out alright.

Alex

Last edited:
I suppose the only concern now would be the case is starting out at T0 temper and should age to T1. The strength is much lower than where it started. You'll have to judge (presume you already have) that the stress is less then the strength.

Wikipedia - "Welding

6061 is highly weldable, for example using tungsten inert gas welding (TIG) or metal inert gas welding (MIG). Typically, after welding, the properties near the weld are those of 6061-O, a loss of strength of around 80%. The material can be re-heat-treated to restore -T4 or -T6 temper for the whole piece. After welding, the material can naturally age and restore some of its strength as well. Nevertheless, the Alcoa Structural Handbook recommends the design strength of the material adjacent to the weld to be taken as 11,000 psi without proper heat treatment after the weld.[citation needed] Typical filler material is 4043 or 5356."

Gerald

I suppose the only concern now would be the case is starting out at T0 temper and should age to T1. The strength is much lower than where it started. You'll have to judge (presume you already have) that the stress is less then the strength.

Wikipedia - "Welding

6061 is highly weldable, for example using tungsten inert gas welding (TIG) or metal inert gas welding (MIG). Typically, after welding, the properties near the weld are those of 6061-O, a loss of strength of around 80%. The material can be re-heat-treated to restore -T4 or -T6 temper for the whole piece. After welding, the material can naturally age and restore some of its strength as well. Nevertheless, the Alcoa Structural Handbook recommends the design strength of the material adjacent to the weld to be taken as 11,000 psi without proper heat treatment after the weld.[citation needed] Typical filler material is 4043 or 5356."

Gerald

Thanks for the head's up. However, I find it extremely unlikely that this closure will fail. Maybe the pins retaining it, but not the closure. The round stock is about .75in thick and the stress on the weld will only be compression, not tension. The actual casing will fail long before that.

Alex

Here's the finished forward closure, sans pin holes and o-ring groove. Its a dead nuts fit in 54mm filament wound tubing.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1418430419.894490.jpg
I'm pretty happy with it.

Edit: 2.1530 inches

Alex

Last edited:
Looks beautiful, I don't know much about lathe-ing (or EX motors..), but that looks really nice. Do you happen to know the exact OD?

Nate

I guess I'm wondering why you didn't just start with bar stock and bore out the cavity?

If you wanted to weld it, cool, but it's a lot less to worry about if you bore out bar stock.

I guess I'm wondering why you didn't just start with bar stock and bore out the cavity?

If you wanted to weld it, cool, but it's a lot less to worry about if you bore out bar stock.

I HATE boring on my little harbor freight lathe. Whatever I do I end up getting terrible chatter. That's always been plan B. I may do it anyways because I have enough left over bar stock.

Alex

Which HF lathe do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Hello all!
I am Clay, I'm working on this project with Alex.
I've had some experience with minimum diameter and EX rockets. (Mostly sugar, apparently that's a sin around these parts) This will definitely be the biggest and most challenging build I have yet attempted. I'm completely new to the forum and I've only been part of organized rocketry for about the past 6 months. (I'm currently a member of UROC, L2 certified) I'm looking forward to this build and everyone's input! This will be a good learning experience and a kickass launch.

Last edited:
So Clay and I pressure tested this morning. The test didn't go as planned to say the least, but we did get some useful information. 54mm FWFG tubing can take 1000 psi like a champ. Some closures however, cannot. (No closures seen earlier were harmed)

Alex

So Clay and I pressure tested this morning. The test didn't go as planned to say the least, but we did get some useful information. 54mm FWFG tubing can take 1000 psi like a champ. Some closures however, cannot. (No closures seen earlier were harmed)

Alex

Glad to hear you got useful info. You had me worried there for a minute about the closure!
Just out of curiosity, how do you conduct the pressure testing, or is that a question for the research section?

Last edited:

Alex

Sorry to hear about the closure.

Is it bad I am excited to see pictures of the aftermath?

Look who finally got done with the nozzle carrier!

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1421363396.018995.jpg
You'll notice the nozzle has another lip in it to be retained by the carrier.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1421363406.430843.jpg
Dead on fit.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1421363416.642404.jpg
The back of the nozzle sticks out a bit. Perfect place to put an O ring.

Edit: Saw some stuff I never responded to.
Wfcook said:
Which HF lathe do you have?
The "7x10in" Of course they call it that, but its really about a 3x7in.
Alex

Last edited:
Wow, we really need to get working on this.
We're currently at the motor design phase, so the stuff I can talk about on here is pretty limited. I would post about it on the Research section, but I'm not a member of it. Long story.
The propellant is still up in the air but we're narrowing down our options. On the table is David R's Turbo White, Tiger Tail, and 72/10. Each have their pros and cons. If you have a formula you think would be good for this application, PM me. I'd love to talk.

A few weeks ago, Clay and I made a trip down to RCS/Aerotech to pick up some chems. We got enough to make about 30lbs each. That should be enough. :wink:
IMG_1163.jpg

Flynfrog, we might have to take you up on that offer to cast at your place pretty soon. :grin:

If we're feeling confident, we might be able to static test at springfest.

Alex

Wow, we really need to get working on this.
We're currently at the motor design phase, so the stuff I can talk about on here is pretty limited. I would post about it on the Research section, but I'm not a member of it. Long story.
The propellant is still up in the air but we're narrowing down our options. On the table is David R's Turbo White, Tiger Tail, and 72/10. Each have their pros and cons. If you have a formula you think would be good for this application, PM me. I'd love to talk.

A few weeks ago, Clay and I made a trip down to RCS/Aerotech to pick up some chems. We got enough to make about 30lbs each. That should be enough. :wink:
View attachment 255877

Flynfrog, we might have to take you up on that offer to cast at your place pretty soon. :grin:

If we're feeling confident, we might be able to static test at springfest.

Alex

What did it cost to drive down there and back. I guess it beat the the shipping or you wouldn't have done it?

TA

Back