Polecat 7.5'' Thumper, any other owners?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WayneCoins

Reaction score
Hey all,

I recently purchased a 7.5 in. Thumper from Mike (of Bay Area Rocketry) that I'm hoping to use as a night flyer. Mine comes standard with the 75mm motor mount, and I was wondering, based on any of you owners observations, what performance you have seen with various motors. I'm asking because I'm aiming for a rather low total ascent (around 800-2000 ft) and I dont have much experience with "squat" type rockets (most of my kits have always been rather thin, around 4" or less in diameter, while I am building another 7.5" kit at the moment, it's 11 feet tall). I know the smallest size motor CTI carries for 75 is a "K," and while I love K engines, I was thinking a "J" might be more appropriate.

I build rather heavy, so I estimate it will weigh around 16 pounds stock, with about 1-2 more pounds of electronics. I'm planning on using an SL100 altimeter to deploy the chute at apogee, and I have purchased 10 high-output xenon lights that will serve as the light source.

Any comments/questions are appreciated. I'll have it all done (except paint and all the external switch hatches) this weekend.

Last edited:
Is that 16lbs RTF with motor or just the airframe? That's about 1.6x what my Door Knob weighs for an equally sized rocket. You're going to need 600-800n of thrust just to get it off the pad. I'd look at a CTI J760 or AT J800.

That's the rough weight with the motor included. It's an estimate, because the balance weight I have to add is dependent on the motor I use and such. Both of the motors you listed are 54mm, yes?

Up grade it to a 98mm mount . You can build a adapter to bring it down to 3 x 38 mm mounts . Three high thrust H motors will put it up to your 1000 goal .

Eric

Hey I got one of those!! I have the 5-54mm motors model so it weighs a couple of pound more but it should fly the same. In short mode without the AVbay and payload section it goes to around 2000' using a J-800. Did you get the duel deployment? I ended up putting a altimeter in the fincan for single deploy. Adapting 75mm down to 54mm is easy and fairly inexpensive.

Andy

Thumper.jpg

finals.jpg

ddthumper.jpg

avbay3.JPG

avbay2.jpg

Last edited:
I thought night launches usually have limits, up to G motors??

JD

Hey all,

I recently purchased a 7.5 in. Thumper from Mike (of Bay Area Rocketry) that I'm hoping to use as a night flyer. Mine comes standard with the 75mm motor mount, and I was wondering, based on any of you owners observations, what performance you have seen with various motors. I'm asking because I'm aiming for a rather low total ascent (around 800-2000 ft) and I dont have much experience with "squat" type rockets (most of my kits have always been rather thin, around 4" or less in diameter, while I am building another 7.5" kit at the moment, it's 11 feet tall). I know the smallest size motor CTI carries for 75 is a "K," and while I love K engines, I was thinking a "J" might be more appropriate.

I build rather heavy, so I estimate it will weigh around 16 pounds stock, with about 1-2 more pounds of electronics. I'm planning on using an SL100 altimeter to deploy the chute at apogee, and I have purchased 10 high-output xenon lights that will serve as the light source.

Any comments/questions are appreciated. I'll have it all done (except paint and all the external switch hatches) this weekend.

We fly up to K's at our night launches (SARA). Tripoli Vegas has had up to M's and I recall seeing a video of the flight of an N powered saucer flown somewhere back east.

Saw an N at night last Springfest (right Bryce!). It was A-W-E-S-O-M-E.

Hey I got one of those!! I have the 5-54mm motors model so it weighs a couple of pound more but it should fly the same. In short mode without the AVbay and payload section it goes to around 2000' using a J-800. Did you get the duel deployment? I ended up putting a altimeter in the fincan for single deploy. Adapting 75mm down to 54mm is easy and fairly inexpensive.

Andy

Mine is single deploy. I was going to put an altimeter either in the fin can or behind the nose cone bulkhead for deployment.

I thought night launches usually have limits, up to G motors??

JD
Your total propellant quantity can not exceed the 125 gram propellant limit for a Class 1 rocket for a non-waivered night launch, but you can request a waiver to allow higher impulse motors.

Bob

Back