Aerotech Astrobee D Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astroimgur

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Back from my overseas assignment and out of the military now. Not what I wanted, but I guess it gives me more time for rockets yay! When I came home I had the Astrobee D kit waiting for me. I'm at the painting/decal part of the build and I've run into something that seems odd to me, so I'm reaching out for some help. Following the instructions it seems that they want to to apply some leading edge decals to the fins and then paint over them (that's how I read it anyway). Anyone know why they would have you do this, or am I reading it wrong? Snapshot of the instructions and outlined in red for reference. Thanks!

20141016_093403.jpg

I read it the same way you do. Perhaps paint stick better to the decal than to the plastic fin?

The actual Aerojet Astrobee-D sounding rocket has leading edge cuffs on the fins to protect from heating.

AeroTech attempts to simulate this leading edge cuff by supplying decals that give the appearence of these cuffs. The decal sheet has four decal 'shapes' which are folded over the fin leading edge and down the sides of each fin.

I don't recall if the fin cuff decals have a solid outline or a dashed ("-") outline. Just use warm water with one drop of dishwashing soap with the decal and this should give you time to position and fold over the decal. The effect is pretty good.

I just wanted to give the model another extra bit to make it a more accurate scale model.

:surprised: Fantastic idea. I can see how it would be difficult to do, but truly a nice touch.

This is really a very nice scale kit, with a good amount of detail. If you want to fly it with the telemetry antennae on, substitute springs for the aluminum tubes. Easily handles small H motors.

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to find some springs next time I'm out. I'm sure Hobby Lobby has something I can use.

Back