ThrustCurve.org Motor Guide app

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK. Well, some motor files are more correct than others in my mind - the ones that match the certification data and fall within the measured standard deviations.

User beware, then. In my experience, several of the Rocksim format files found on Thrustcurve seem to be out in left field, nowhere near the corresponding RASP files or cert data. They differ enough to make a noticeable impact on the simulation (up to 25% variation.)

I don't want to sound ungrateful. These are just a few observations/suggestions. I think Thrustcurve is an awesome resource. Thanks for maintaining it.

If you see motors that look wrong, send us a message; sometimes someone uploads the curve for the wrong motor. It's also possible for users to add notes to motors and data files. The goal of the site is to be crowd-sourced not moderated, but we will remove bad data when we notice it.

I put a lot of motor files up there at one time. My data came mostly from CAR. Andre C. does all of them now I believe.
As a contributor, I can update or delete my files. I don't want to derail this thread by discussing that here.
However, if I can fix a file, I'm open to suggestions. Send me a PM if any of mine are a problem.

Thanks again for the app John. I like it a lot. Portability is great.

Len Bryan

Here's a demo video of the Android version (more relaxed pace and flexible format than the iOS app preview).

[video=youtube_share;IbrX6miQ_O4]https://youtu.be/IbrX6miQ_O4[/video]

There are a lot of motors on Thrustcurve. As John said, the motor files come from a variety of sources.

If you find something wrong, please email us. I have corrected a few recently.

Also understand, the original idea of Thrustcurve was to make it a site where folks can contribute files they have created. Now, it is really just a small group of people doing the work. So, if you want something corrected you need to let John and I know. For those who have created motor files you know it is a very manual process, and neither of us would claim to be perfect.

Just got my first rejection from the Apple reviewers, so it'll be another few weeks for the iOS version.

Knowing nothing about this process, does that mean that it was expected? And more to come?

Were the reviews from Apple techs or rocket folks?

Regardless, I'm sorry about that and I hope it can be remedied, soon.

Greg

If all else fails, you can post the .apk file and let the users self-install without going through iTunes or Google playstore. A few extra steps, but not bad.

Just got my first rejection from the Apple reviewers, so it'll be another few weeks for the iOS version.

I'm curious about what reason was given for the rejection. Legitimate bugs and concerns, or something like a misunderstanding of the utility of this app. I'm looking forward to being able to run this on my iPhone / iPad when out in the field, but I suppose I could install it on the S3 I have from work in the mean time.

Knowing nothing about this process, does that mean that it was expected? And more to come?
Were the reviews from Apple techs or rocket folks?
I think the normal expectation is that an app is rejected a few times before being accepted. I didn't get any reviews from user yet (it was rejected so never appeared in the app store).

I'm curious about what reason was given for the rejection. Legitimate bugs and concerns, or something like a misunderstanding of the utility of this app. I'm looking forward to being able to run this on my iPhone / iPad when out in the field, but I suppose I could install it on the S3 I have from work in the mean time.
The only cited reason was mentioning another platform. (I had "Version 0.1.0, for iOS and Android" in the About page.)
"3.1: Apps or metadata that mentions the name of any other mobile platform will be rejected"

At least that's easy to fix. I will publish a new Android version and re-submit the iOS version this weekend. (I also have some more substantive changes along with removing the platform names.)

My iOS beta-test submission was finally approved and I have sent out invites to those who requested to be testers. The Android app remains available for testing (now at version 0.1.3).

Please send bugs and feature requests on the Google group rather than here or to me directly.

My iOS beta-test submission was finally approved and I have sent out invites to those who requested to be testers. The Android app remains available for testing (now at version 0.1.3).

Please send bugs and feature requests on the Google group rather than here or to me directly.

John - I'm interested in becoming an iOS tester. I didn't initially send you my info because I wasn't sure I'd be able to provide feedback in a timely fashion. If there are still beta spots open, please let me know.

Several folks have posted that they just loaded the Android App.
I get the impression that they did not have a problem.
The only way I could figure out to load the app, was to join the goggle tctg group and then click on the install link in this discussion, in John's post of December 28, 2014, # 20.
Is there a different way that I am missing?

+ sssnJohn's pot for me toQUOTE=Len B;1402974]I just loaded the app for Android and it looks very good. I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S4. So far so good.
Thanks for putting this out there![/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Yes, I have only published it in the beta test for both platforms. So, you need to have asked me to be a tester for iOS or joined the group and used the beta link to test for Android. (Sorry, I don't have the exact details since I don't have an Android phone.)

I think the app is nearing v1 state. Thanks to all those who tested it and helped me make the behavior more natural.

If you're interested in testing on Android, see this post.

To test on iOS, send me an email or PM with your email address as registered with the iTunes store.

An update from an end user:

John has done great with this thing. He's listened to all the feedback and made the appropriate changes where needed. Personally, I think this thing is ready to go live and see how long it takes to break it in the wild.

I have been a contributor for Thrust Curve for years and look foreward to using the android app for NYPOWER 19 & LDRS 34 .

I use Open Rocket as my main data source but have found that if it sounds too good to be true on Open Rocket, Thrust Curve makes it more realistic & then i prove that with my flight data. I constantly compare data on both sites for the same rocket & engine.

On the Google Play Store the app is listed as "'ThrustCurve to-go' by John Coker".

Downloading as we speak...

In the Apple App Store, you must type it in that way as well. Any variation with "thrust" would not bring it up.

It's been downloaded and I look forward to using it.

Greg

I was under the impression that the Thrustcurve app would allow me to access the Thrustcurve website and run Motor Guide sims with my saved rockets. Apparently the app requires you to "build" the rocket within the app which I have not yet done. In the past I've just used my smartphone to access the website, log in, and run quick Motor Guide sims on the fly.

The formatting and legibility of the app is far superior to simple internet access via smartphone.

More to follow.

I was under the impression that the Thrustcurve app would allow me to access the Thrustcurve website and run Motor Guide sims with my saved rockets.
You can download your rockets saved on the web site if you enter your credentials (see Settings, Account page).

Back