size to scratch correlation

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watermelonman

Reaction score
When I was last building years and years ago, most any rocket I saw above 29mm motors was a scratch build. In fact, aside from Aerotech even the 29mm users tended to be from scratch.

These days, many kits seem to be available, at least for 38mm and 54mm users. How popular are they in comparison to scratch builds at your local launches? Is there still some point at which everything is custom?

98mm kits are common now. Scratch seems evenly distributed amoung sizes.

It all comes down to what you want to fly and if someone makes a kit vs scratch building . Like I will be building a sumo (scratch ) with a 54mm hole and ply fins

Most of our HPR launches are scratch builds with a few kits here and there. I was encouraged to scratch build my level 2 by the experienced guys there (when I asked their opinion)
and I felt like I learned a lot from that design process, on the other hand I also have a Wildman kit which will go up to an "I".

We also have a lot of uni students and other organisations come get their level ones on stuff they've made (and made well for the most part).

My experience is that most of the rockets flying at BattlePark below L are kits. There are some scratch built, but almost all of the L1 rockets are kits and well over half the L2 rockets are kits. Some of these are modified quite extensively, but they are still based on kits. Most of them are LOC and Wildman. It really comes down to who is flying. Some folks only build kits and some only fly scratch built, and some do a little of both, but the majority seems to be kits.

When you get to the larger L and L3 rockets, it seems like more are scratch then are kits.

Back