54mm MD

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Primativerocketry

Reaction score
Hello I'm building a 54mm minimum diameter rocket i am using a pre made fin can and the rest is all fibreglass i plan to fly on anything from an H-J most going mach 1.25 and 2600m on a large J in open rocket I'm just wondering if there is anything i can do the enhance

When I built a similar rocket, I built up a ramp at the leading edge of the ACME fincan with body putty. Makes for a smoother transition.

With the ACME fincan, you can use a standard 54mm Aeropac retainer, it fits flush to the back of the fins:
067_zpsbcc332ea.jpg

I have the Aeropac MD retainer in my 54mm Blackhawk, It takes up too much room and fitting all the adapters together for different motor casings is a pain. If you want to know more about my build, here is a link:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?48279-The-Energizer-Bunny

Did you use shear pins???

Absolutely! Anything with a filament wound, metal tipped N/C gets two 2-56 nylon shear pins. I also pin the fincan to the avbay the same way. I had a Dark Star Jr. drag separate at about 4000 ft., that was a long recovery. If your N/C is plastic or polystyrene, you can get away with friction fit, but if you're adding a tracker or GPS to it, that adds mass, and a heavy N/C will drag separate.

Absolutely! Anything with a filament wound, metal tipped N/C gets two 2-56 nylon shear pins. I also pin the fincan to the avbay the same way. I had a Dark Star Jr. drag separate at about 4000 ft., that was a long recovery. If your N/C is plastic or polystyrene, you can get away with friction fit, but if you're adding a tracker or GPS to it, that adds mass, and a heavy N/C will drag separate.

Sweet I will implement them into the design...

Here's the design on open rocket any thing else I can perfect... :) ;)

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1413769991.326756.jpg
That's the rocket!! I'm getting the rest of the parts in a week!!! :) ;)

Sweet I will implement them into the design...

Here's the design on open rocket any thing else I can perfect... :) ;)

View attachment 187955
That's the rocket!! I'm getting the rest of the parts in a week!!! :) ;)

Got all the parts except motor I plan to shorten the upper and lower tube to just 40 and 45 cm because of wasted space... I will be finishing soon but the cools weather doesn't help. :(

The paint will be a bright green (nose cone fin can and E-bay) and pro line black for the rest! :) won't be painting for a while I will call this one the: Beam me up Scotty (from start trek of course :))

With the ACME fincan, you can use a standard 54mm Aeropac retainer, it fits flush to the back of the fins:
067_zpsbcc332ea.jpg

I have the Aeropac MD retainer in my 54mm Blackhawk, It takes up too much room and fitting all the adapters together for different motor casings is a pain. If you want to know more about my build, here is a link:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?48279-The-Energizer-Bunny

It was nice to re-read that..love the Jack hug pic and the quote 'K160, my biggest motor ever...'

Kenny

Got all the parts except motor I plan to shorten the upper and lower tube to just 40 and 45 cm because of wasted space... I will be finishing soon but the cools weather doesn't help. :(

If you do this..get one Dual Deploy flight in first. Was at a launch and one of the fliers had optimized his min diameter slightly too much and was having trouble seating the coupler onto the airframe with the laundry in.

I am going to try my hand in this soon and think I am going to go with 1g 54 for the first flight.

Kenny

If you do this..get one Dual Deploy flight in first. Was at a launch and one of the fliers had optimized his min diameter slightly too much and was having trouble seating the coupler onto the airframe with the laundry in.

I am going to try my hand in this soon and think I am going to go with 1g 54 for the first flight.

Kenny

Yup I will finish in a while Because I don't think snow epoxy and neon green mix well... Also the club a launch at doesn't launch in winter...

Back