Aeropoxy 6279 and Fiberglass

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howhigh

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with aeropoxy 6279 on G10 and fiberglass in general? How does it compare to proline 4500? Thanks for any help.

6279 is a structural adhesive; if I'm not mistaken, 4500 is a laminating resin.

If you're bonding materials together, the AeroPoxy 6279 is going to do a better job and result in a stronger bond. However, the 6279 cannot be used for laminating (it's too thick).

You'll get the optimal results by using epoxy adhesives for bonding and laminating resins for composite layups.

-Kevin

4500 is described on it's website as "Thick black high temp. Great for fillets". I know many use it as a small covering on leading edges due to the high temp factor.

4500 Proline is a structural adhesive as well as 6279 Aeropoxy,,,
and 6209 Aeropoxy for that matter...
As far as comparing the Proline and Aeropoxy product,,
I have a much experience with the Aeropoxy,, none with the Proline,, though I've always wanted to try it as I've heard many great comments about it....
I will say though,, your dealing with top of the line epoxy's....
The worst of the top 4 is still a great product....
Your application methods matters 100 times more then which of the top 4 epoxys you choose to use...
You can buy the bestest epoxy there ever was,,,
If you apply it to uncleaned / un-- scored fiberglass with mold release compound still on it,,
you're not going to be very happy with the results....

Teddy

proline 4500 is a structural adhesive and Proline 4100 is "great all around use and perfect for laminating. Thanks Ted you're very right if the surface isn't properly prepared no epoxy is going to get a good hold. I was just wondering if anyone has experience with es6279 and fiberglass i've been able to find information about other formulations of aeropoxy and fiberglass but not this blend.

I recently used the Aeropoxy 6279 tan paste on a build (https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=63897) with excellent results.

All G10 components were washed with soapy water, dried, then wiped with mineral spirits before roughing up with 100 grit sandpaper. Bonded like 'plastosteelrock' to blue tube, and first flight of the rocket on a a J760 showed no evidence of weakness or other red flags. Tough stuff to work with - very thick and goopy - but can't argue with the results.

Back