How to approch a school about starting a TARC team

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonight1977

Reaction score
Hello guys,

We've had a TARC team from another school a couple years ago and that peaked my son's interest in joining a TARC team when he got in to 7th grade. The person from our club that was helping the other school has moved out of state and I haven't seen that school but a few times since then. I need some advise about how to approach my son's school about starting a TARC team there. My son has built and flown quite a few rockets. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Dale

Unfortunately I haven't been involved, I have followed what they do. I think one of the biggest thing is having a mentor. Without that they team doesn't get off the ground...so to speak ;)

Are you going to be that guy? Or was that the plan all along? :)

Use the info from rocketcontest.org and these two pdf's and have your son talk to teachers about it. Doesn't have to me a science or math teacher, heck one very successful team I know is run by the band teacher. Get them interested and they will talk to the administration.

Go to a PTA meeting and talk up the program. Again use the handouts. Talk up the STEM aspects, talk up the prize money for the school. Volunteer to be a mentor with rocketry experience to help. Rely on the school for a meeting place and a teacher to be the sponsor.

kj

View attachment _TARC Publicity Handout.pdf

View attachment _Why TARC (2015).pdf

I plan To help as a mentor but we also have a member of our local club that is on the TARC or NAR mentor list.

Thank you for the Files kj.

Back