U.S. Rockets 300mm motor???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the grand scheme of things, $3,800 is NOTHING for shipping.

Hobby mentalities skew everything to seem expensive.

Well here ya go then......

............ CTI "S" motor. Cost 60,000.00 + shipping on a dedicated truck. 2.50-3.00 per mile + special fees. This one was 3,800.00 ship.

It flew to 460,000 ft.

Got some extra cash laying around? They will be happy to send one your way...:smile:

That is actually a pretty reasonable price for a commercial motor and dedicated shipping. The shipping of motors is pretty easy until they start getting over about 80k lbs then everything gets exciting... and expensive...

In the grand scheme of things, $3,800 is NOTHING for shipping.

Hobby mentalities skew everything to seem expensive.
Yeah. The transportation is less than 10% of the total motor cost......and all you have to do is receive the motor at your launch site......

The cost of the rocket, and the support infrastructure for a 12+ man rocket team at Black Rock for a week or two is greater than the motor cost.

Bob

I believe Jerry was the one that never filed waivers for the launches at Lucerne in late 80s early 90s

He who shall not be named is quite knowledgeable and easygoing in person, but on line is intolerant and holds grudges for years and will continue to rant about things that happened decades ago. As a result any thread he participated in tended to degrade into vicious flame wars. Because of this he has been banned from all but one site. However, he has some interesting rocket designs that are worth looking at and seems to be handing orders in a reasonable fashion.

Last edited:

............ CTI "S" motor. Cost 60,000.00 + shipping on a dedicated truck. 2.50-3.00 per mile + special fees. This one was 3,800.00 ship.

It flew to 460,000 ft.

Got some extra cash laying around? They will be happy to send one your way...:smile:

I'll just have to write them a check for the motor. I'll take care of the shipping. Lol. I don't think I'll ever spend that much on a motor. Although could it be quite possible to make a sugar motor this big? That would be an awkward grocery store visit.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

JI has an interesting past. Google him. Personally, I wouldn't trust him to do my landscaping.

Although could it be quite possible to make a sugar motor this big? That would be an awkward grocery store visit.

Actually our Super Moderator Bob Krech is working on such a project with very very large sugar motors. They want to send a rocket to space powered by sugar....
Sugar Shot to Space...

https://www.sugarshot.org/project_description.html

Anything else?....LOL

Meh, they can keep their $60,000 motor. If your prepared to do it you can mix, cast, cure, and build your own. Catch is you have to do it in the field. Not that difficult, the component materials are perfectly legal to ship without permit for any part with the right formulation. 55 gallon barrels of HTPB can be sourced from paint manufacturers for instance, it acrylic enamel paint base. Acrylic enamels can be catalyzed to cure, you add it when it's mixed and in painting it makes the paint act almost like an epoxy, it sets up. Metal powders off eBay as well as Ammonium perchlorate, that's how easy it is to get. Add in a big Hobart mixer and a curing oven made from a 55 gallon barrel and your on your way. I'm just saying for the same money the motor could be much bigger.

Best article on this I know of was in High Power Rocketry mag. Reaction Research Society made a boosted dart and cast the motor in the field. If you can find it it's a good read.

I had a thought, does shipping include and duty, import fees, customs or is it covered by NAFTA?

Meh, they can keep their $60,000 motor. If your prepared to do it you can mix, cast, cure, and build your own. Catch is you have to do it in the field. Not that difficult, the component materials are perfectly legal to ship without permit for any part with the right formulation. 55 gallon barrels of **** can be sourced from ***** manufacturers for instance, it ***** ***** ***** *****. ***** ***** can be catalyzed to cure, you add it when it's mixed and in *****ing it makes the ***** act almost like an epoxy, it sets up. ***** powders off eBay as well as Ammonium perchlorate, that's how easy it is to get. Add in a big Hobart mixer and a curing oven made from a 55 gallon barrel and your on your way. I'm just saying for the same money the motor could be much bigger.

Best article on this I know of was in High Power Rocketry mag. Reaction Research Society made a boosted dart and cast the motor in the field. If you can find it it's a good read.

I had a thought, does shipping include and duty, import fees, customs or is it covered by NAFTA?

I dunno how wise it is to be listing all those compounds in the "non-private" portion of the forums.

That said, the compound I didn't edit out is commonly known as a material used in making motors, and so I left it.

Wait, what?

Same stuff, check it out. It's not cheap but much cheaper than say an epoxy based binder. I've researched components that could be used for building my own motors. I knew from years of industrial paint spraying a variety of paint systems that you can catalyze acrylic paint so that it hardens as well as dries. It then has a pot life where after a certain time it "goes off" and it all sets, just like an epoxy.

Just think about the name Hydroxyl Terminated Poly Butadiene. I know Butadiene to be a plastic, just like styrene. Poly is of course multi strand in this case. Bob would have to explain the Hydroxyl Terminated part, I never got that far in Chemistry.

A motor made with paint base has been on my agenda for a future research project. Something not from a jug marked HTPB but Olympia Paints ;)

Same stuff, check it out. It's not cheap but much cheaper than say an epoxy based binder. I've researched components that could be used for building my own motors. I knew from years of industrial paint spraying a variety of paint systems that you can catalyze acrylic paint so that it hardens as well as dries. It then has a pot life where after a certain time it "goes off" and it all sets, just like an epoxy.

Just think about the name Hydroxyl Terminated Poly Butadiene. I know Butadiene to be a plastic, just like styrene. Poly is of course multi strand in this case. Bob would have to explain the Hydroxyl Terminated part, I never got that far in Chemistry.

A motor made with paint base has been on my agenda for a future research project. Something not from a jug marked HTPB but Olympia Paints ;)

Pretty sure means the molecules terminate in a hydroxyl group (-OH). I'd assume it sets by removing the -OH and shoving the ends of the molecules together.

And seriously, wait what? I'd think that for an "S" motor you'd want something that isn't color contaminated, unless you've found a source for the HTPB base, in which case please do share :)

I dunno how wise it is to be listing all those compounds in the "non-private" portion of the forums.

That said, the compound I didn't edit out is commonly known as a material used in making motors, and so I left it.

It's all common knowledge, Discovery Channel tell you all about what happens when you have millions of pounds of AP just sitting around and then there's a fire....

[video=youtube;lpX7DfUE8nM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpX7DfUE8nM[/video]

With the internet you can find out ANYTHING you want and dozens of sources for everything. What can't be learned here can easily be found elsewhere. I got no problem with that but there's nothing in my post that couldn't be found on your own with a little dedicated computer time.

[video=youtube;TllMf7DzYkA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TllMf7DzYkA[/video]

Actually our Super Moderator Bob Krech is working on such a project with very very large sugar motors. They want to send a rocket to space powered by sugar....
Sugar Shot to Space...

https://www.sugarshot.org/project_description.html

Anything else?....LOL

Ok now this is pretty cool. I would love to watch this thing in action and see the end result.

All motors he sells at this time are for government use . Non civilian. He said he would like to have the regular motors certification , but what happened 20 some odd years ago it may not happen . People can't let it things go. But if you order something from him and it is in stock on the site it will be at your door in a week or less . Great kits .

Chris, I've heard enough claims that have more than sufficient documentation to prove them bogus that I'm going to call BS on this one until such time as irrefutable evidence is put forth.

A perfect example is the fact that DOT paperwork issued to other companies was posted for years....edited to claim they were his. Gee, guess what happened a few years later? Yep! The DOT slapped him with a fine for shipping motors without DOT paperwork.

-Kevin

It flew to 460,000 ft.

Any on-board or ground video from that launch?

Chris, I've heard enough claims that have more than sufficient documentation to prove them bogus that I'm going to call BS on this one until such time as irrefutable evidence is put forth.

A perfect example is the fact that DOT paperwork issued to other companies was posted for years....edited to claim they were his. Gee, guess what happened a few years later? Yep! The DOT slapped him with a fine for shipping motors without DOT paperwork.

-Kevin

Kevin I have just stated what I have read . Nothing more ,now on his rockets kits that is my experience order week later ups stops by and payment goes out .

There's a big difference in ordering direct and from a dealer that stocks US Rockets. Bob Jablonski's company says they have them in stock for one company. Ordering direct is hit-and-miss at best, US Rockets do not keep kits in stock due to storage reasons and will make a kit when they get to it.

Bob has these anyway:

https://www.countylinehobbies.com/us-rockets.html

Last edited:
I have to ask, what was "40 grand to the man"? I googled it and found a comment about AP, peanut butter and chocolate. What was this, some kind of AP candy bar? :)

Some of his stuff showed in the UK. Everyone was over it due to the loss of Aerotech and CTI had yet to arrive.

It was very very short lived. A lot of people have cases that are paper weights.

The man that was behind it this side is long gone.

I have to ask, what was "40 grand to the man"? I googled it and found a comment about AP, peanut butter and chocolate. What was this, some kind of AP candy bar? :)

It was a fine from the DOT for taking what he knew were products that required EX numbers and DOT approvals to ship, sticking them in a box labeled "model airplane parts" and shipping them cross-country.

It's really too bad the DOT no longer has the transcript of one of the hearings posted online -- it's so full of evading the questions asked that it's like reading the Who's On First skit!

-Kevin

Back