software updates

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rex R

LV2
Reaction score
after the latest windows update I figured it was time to check some of the odd software, and found that; there are updates for Java, Flash, and irfan view. note all 3 of these want to clutter up your Hd/browser with additional software.
Rex

Yup, you have to be careful with third party updates, especially with free software like Irfan View. A lot of them have piggybacked programs on top of them now, when you do the installation there will be a checkbox in the "agree to terms and conditions" windows to install this stuff. Normally, it's checked... you have to uncheck it or your drive will get filled with doo-doo. Adobe does it now too...

considering some of the comments about computers I've seen on the board...I thought someone should mention this. :)
Rex

Use Google Chrome for your browser. This has its own built in flash player so that sorts that.

Java is a tricky one. Always go directly to their website and check the installer for what it wants to install and then use their website to verify it.

My Windows 7 X64 Pro install with Nvidia driver, Google Chrome, VLC, Adobe reader, iTunes (empty), fotosizer and no documents nearly fills a 128GB SSD.

Last edited:
I did go straight to the java website(I did not pass go...:)), just as I did for all the other updates. java and others want to install toolbars and or chrome(I see no reason to maintain two browsers,(when last I heard, windows update only worked with IE) your mileage may vary).
Rex

IT Pro here. Java and Adobe are notorious for this ramming extra crap into their software installs. Do yourselves a favor and take a look at the sites and download the versions of Java, flash, and acrobat reader that are intended for business/enterprise use- they do not have all the crap in them.

I hate Chrome- causes a lot of issues in my environment with apps that do not work in Chrome.

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Back