Starting to get nervous

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MALBAR 70

More Rockets Than Room
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Well, the short part of this is in a few hours I'll be heading off to the hospital. I am getting a total joint replacement of my left hip.

I know in the end it will be worth it, and I've delt with the pain long enough, but I'm not looking forward to this at all.

Are there any other TRFers out there who have had this done? How is the recovery?(from surgery)

Man, it'll be nice to be able to walk to recover my rockets in about a quarter of the time it takes now.:clap:

Last edited:
Full recovery is 6-8 weeks. Keep in mind that joint reconstruction or replacement is never as good as the original, but it is a 90%-95% solution…

Well, my wife had one. She had a fantastic recovery and is very glad she had it done. Back to work in 6 weeks (well, part time).
She goes for walks everyday and does fantastic.

Best wishes

I had my knee replaced last April. My roommate had his hip replaced. He was up walking with crutches easily that day. He was up and about, eating and drinking, and not having any problems the same evening he had his hip replaced. There are limitations, but you will do great! Just take it easy, and keep up with the physical therapy!

Good luck!

Good luck and I hope all goes well. I may not be too far behind you in getting both knees replaced.

Hey Chuck, it may only be 90% of the original, but in my case I haven't had my original knees in over two decades!

A friend, a few months younger than me so he's OLD, had a hip replaced and has since returned to throwing the Olympic hammer in the masters class.

Nothing is impossible.

You'll do just fantastic,, just you wait and see...
My wife had her hip replaced a few months ago...
It was just amazing...
They wouldn't agree to replace your hip if you natural one wasn't in really bad shape..
You must be in great pain now..
When you awake that pain won't be there anymore..
It's replaced by a bit of surgical pain,,, much easier to tolerate then the pain of a bad hip...
The replacement may be 95% of a 19 year olds hip,,,
But it'll be 1000% better then the one you've got now..... lol

You just wait,, you'll see,, you'll do great through this...
And you're going to say the same thing everyone else does,,,,,

Man,, I should have done this so much sooner...
There was no need to wait so long and tolerate so much pain....

Teddy

Mike,

It sounds like those who know are giving you good news on the operation and recovery.
Seems like you'll be sidelined for the rest of the regular flight season and chomping at the bit to get the next one started.

I'm sorry your last scheduled launch (MMMSC in Berwick - 11 Oct) was postponed and your crash made it impossible for you to come back the next day. In the larger picture, everyone is okay and you'll be coming back even better.

I wish you a good surgery and a smooth recovery with PT that's effective but not too over the top.

Good luck and a speedy recovery. I have not had this, but have known several who have. It is a lot better than it used to be, and you will be fine. Work hard in rehab as it will make things go better. Once rehab is complete stay active.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

I've seen quite a few church folk have this done as well as shoulders, knees and other things. They will have you on your feet and walking by the end of the day. Most likely you will be off the pain meds in a week or so. Prayers for a speedy recovery (and good luck as well).

As soon as I can drop another 30 lbs. I'll be starting my replacements- two knees and a hip (not all at once!) My mom had both hips done. After the first one she was looking forward to the second!

Best of luck to ya!

My mother had her hip done ~10 years ago, and wondered why she didn't do it years earlier. As someone else mentioned, she had to get to the point where living with the pain of her hip was worse than the pain of surgery. They had her up and around the same day, and she's been doing great ever since. Very different from her knee, which was 18 months ago, and for which she is still rehabbing.

I know that the first time I got knocked out for surgery, I was scared you-know-what-less. It went fine, but it was really rough going in to it. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Prayers for a successful surgery and a speedy and complete recovery.

Mrs. L.,

I hope the doctor told you that building rockets is part of his physical therapy! :wink:

Had my total hip replacement 2 years ago this last May.Have not had any problems.I have been a bicycle rider for the last 34 years and have close to 100,000 miles in all years.I don't ride the 40 miles per day like I use to but I get out and have no problems when I have to chase my rockets.He will be just fine in a few weeks,just have him take things slow and follow doctors orders.Good luck,cjp.

Mrs. Malbar again. Mike is home, reovering well and is hoping to make it to the last launch of the year. Don't know if he will be able to fly, but I know he wants to come out.

That's just wonderful news...
Please tell him about all of the well wishes and kind thoughts heading his way...
And thank you so much for keeping the thread posted with his recovery....

Teddy

Back