Heavy Metal Landing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shrox

Reaction score
It's got a space shuttle in it...

[video=vimeo;108869209]https://vimeo.com/108869209[/video]

OMG! Dude you have so much talent, it's incredible-you nailed the Corvette-dang! I don't know how long that took to render, but mad props to you bro'-this rocks hard!

Wow....
I just watched 3 of your vid's Shrox...
I have never seen anything like that before...
You are one very seriously talented man....
Kudos in a big way....

Teddy

Why are all four wheels spinning in a vacuum, shouldn't it just be the rear? Or did that old 'vette (1959-60?) get updated with AWD? C'mon Shrox die-hard sci-fi fans value realism and attention to detail! I'm just teasing, that was a brilliant remake ;) Point of comparison, none of the wheels are spinning upon re-entry in the original film....

Why are all four wheels spinning in a vacuum, shouldn't it just be the rear? Or did that old 'vette (1959-60?) get updated with AWD? C'mon Shrox die-hard sci-fi fans value realism and attention to detail! I'm just teasing, that was a brilliant remake ;) Point of comparison, none of the wheels are spinning upon re-entry in the original film....

Thank you.

I am anxious to see your version...a real version.

Last edited:
I am re-rendering it all, the Vette model is low-rez, and the lighting and surfacing of the ground needs to be redone. Some of the sounds are slightly off, having trouble with Adobe Premiere and syncing.That's why it's a WIP (work in progress).

I always though that Heavy Metal movie intro was so cool. The animation in the movie itself was uneven though.

Last edited:
I am anxious to see your version...a real version.

Don't hold your breath, I have no such talents. Hopefully I was explicit enough in saying my original comments were just teasing. Your animation work is excellent.

The perfect dream for any dude going through a mid life crisis that can only be cured with rockets and Corvettes!

Too true, by coincidence today is my 40th bday...I am of course out shopping for sports cars ;)

Don't hold your breath, I have no such talents. Hopefully I was explicit enough in saying my original comments were just teasing. Your animation work is excellent.

Too true, by coincidence today is my 40th bday...I am of course out shopping for sports cars ;)

I mean a REAL version, it could be a scale launch. Happy birthday.

I always though that Heavy Metal movie intro was so cool. The animation in the movie itself was uneven though.

I totally agree. The intro was great, but the rest of it was sort of a mixed bag. It was one of my favorite movies at the time.

I saw Heavy Metal on the "Big Screen" if you can call it that. There was something described as a theater on Telegraph Avenue in Berkeley that was really probably a large apartment with a big room with theater seats and a screen that was a bit bigger than today's biggest big screen TV's (but not much bigger). You paid a person sitting in a chair at the top of the stairs and they put the money in a metal box. If you wanted something to eat, you could buy a snack in the kitchen down the hall. There was a bathroom with a toilet, sink and shower, but I don't think you were supposed to take a bath while you were there. You were free to come and go, so you could leave to top off all your levels as necessary. The second feature was Wizards, which was also a fun and trippy animated movie.

I totally agree. The intro was great, but the rest of it was sort of a mixed bag. It was one of my favorite movies at the time.

I saw Heavy Metal on the "Big Screen" if you can call it that. There was something described as a theater on Telegraph Avenue in Berkeley that was really probably a large apartment with a big room with theater seats and a screen that was a bit bigger than today's biggest big screen TV's (but not much bigger). You paid a person sitting in a chair at the top of the stairs and they put the money in a metal box. If you wanted something to eat, you could buy a snack in the kitchen down the hall. There was a bathroom with a toilet, sink and shower, but I don't think you were supposed to take a bath while you were there. You were free to come and go, so you could leave to top off all your levels as necessary. The second feature was Wizards, which was also a fun and trippy animated movie.

I saw it at the theater on my first real date, the girl was kind of freaked by the nudity, I hadn't even thought of that when we went to see it!

I saw it at the theater on my first real date, the girl was kind of freaked by the nudity, I hadn't even thought of that when we went to see it!

Maybe you could have mellowed her out with some good nyborg.

Wow....
I just watched 3 of your vid's Shrox...
I have never seen anything like that before...
You are one very seriously talented man....
Kudos in a big way....

Teddy

Thanks friend!

OMG! Dude you have so much talent, it's incredible-you nailed the Corvette-dang! I don't know how long that took to render, but mad props to you bro'-this rocks hard!

This took about three weeks, when I finish fixing it and render at full 1080HD, it will take about 2 1/2 months.

And the Loc Nar Award for best animation goes to SHROX!

the_loc_nar_tribute_by_denki_nasu-d3k2t9e_medium.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the original, still very cool after all these years:

[video=youtube;DWMPe3wF9jQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWMPe3wF9jQ[/video]

Last edited:

Seems clear to me that pre-rotating the tires would even out the thermal stress during re-entry and reduce tire wear at touchdown on the highway. Shrox was simply showing advanced engineering in the video.

Cut the man some slack, even if it was a tease....;)

Seems clear to me that pre-rotating the tires would even out the thermal stress during re-entry and reduce tire wear at touchdown on the highway. Shrox was simply showing advanced engineering in the video.

Cut the man some slack, even if it was a tease....;)

He was just joking, that's why I challenged him to build a scale Vette dropping shuttle.

Hey, why were the ssme's burning without the main tank attached, I know after meco they pump the remaining oxygen through the nozzles, and vent the hydrogen over the side, but it isn't burning....I would have though you would have the oms motors burning.....:)

Ok, I'll stop being a nerd....

Frank

Hey, why were the ssme's burning without the main tank attached, I know after meco they pump the remaining oxygen through the nozzles, and vent the hydrogen over the side, but it isn't burning....I would have though you would have the oms motors burning.....:)

Ok, I'll stop being a nerd....

Frank

Why was there sound? Because it just has to be that way...

That brought back awesome memories of seeing Heavy Metal in the theater I worked at in College. Now you should render the B-17 short 😄. You are incredibly talented Shrox and I am fortunate to be able to see your work

Launching rockets (or missiles in my case) is so easy a chimp could do it. Read a step, do a step, eat a banana.

Sent from my iPad Air using Rocketry Forum.

Here is the latest version in half HD. A few more things to fix, then full HD! And weeks of my computer doing nothing but rendering...

[video=vimeo;108869209]https://vimeo.com/108869209[/video]

Back