WAC Corporal (Single Stage 24 mm Version) from Aerospace Speciality Products

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oddmanrockets

Reaction score
I got a notice that a 24 mm Wac Corporal was on sale so I ordered one ( Im a big fan of that rocket so I built me a scratch-built boosted Wac
54 mm to 38 mm IMG_0555.jpg got notices that it shipped and was on way within 24 hrs and was delivered within a couple days ( I like that in a supplier) It came well packed and no damage IMG_0544.jpg after checking out kit time to get started with my mods to kit ( its a perfectly fine kit for the normal builder {I don't color within the lines} but I plan on putting a F or G motor in mine) first thing I did was soak the balsa nosecone and tailcone in thin CA. Im a big fan of the kits from Cosmodrome Rocketry. next was the fins, after a couple mins each I sanded the fins to my liking IMG_0547.jpg it didn't take longIMG_0548.jpg one thing that would have been nice if the fins were through the wall but I epoxy everything so there should be no problems ( I kinda stress all my small rockets with the biggest motor I can put into them) next was the conduit ( I darken the edges of the wood so I can see what I'm sanding off)IMG_0550.jpgnext is the motor mount but that's for tomorrow.

back to work on rocket, I got the motor mount done IMG_0571.jpg I modified the shock cord attachment using some Kevlar that I had from some old military flare parachutes. the chute material had gotten burnt so I had a bunch of shroud lines that work perfectly for this purpose. after that I tacked on the fins with CA then 5 min epoxy for the fillets. also CAed the conduit. I will wait for the epoxy to fully cure then its time to seal the fins and tailcone IMG_0572.jpg

You won't find many 24mm F and G's for this.

IMHO, you are way overbuilding. Using yellow/white glue for everything will probably result in a rocket that flies higher, and is just as sturdy. The glue /construction only need to be as strong as the parts that are bonded. Also, check a sim of your rocket/weight/motor and things like the length of the rod/rail for stability before you fly it. If you add an ounce or 2 to a 24mm rocket, you might have some stability problems.

yes there are plenty of motors out here I've got some F-74s ,F-39s ,F-24s and some Ellis mountain single use, I also know people that always come up with some wicked motors for me
You won't find many 24mm F and G's for this. and as for over building that's just me I punish my small rockets ex I've flown estes big berthas , black brants on G motors, I also flew my estes Cosmic Interceptor on a F-74

IMHO, you are way overbuilding. Using yellow/white glue for everything will probably result in a rocket that flies higher, and is just as sturdy. The glue /construction only need to be as strong as the parts that are bonded. Also, check a sim of your rocket/weight/motor and things like the length of the rod/rail for stability before you fly it. If you add an ounce or 2 to a 24mm rocket, you might have some stability problems.

Last edited:
also on my over building I've been building rockets since 1974 and I punish my small rockets , I've put G motors in my estes Big Berthas and Black Brants I flew my estes Cosmic Interceptor on a F-74 I don't like standard motors in my kits. I also don't do computer sims, all my sims are done in my head because most of what I build you cant sim,
You won't find many 24mm F and G's for this.

I picked up two of these great kits at that price. But it motivated me to build my 24/18 two-stage first. It's complete and waiting for a couple of warm days so I can start the finishing process. As for the 24 mm version, I can't wait to put an E11 in it. If I get really brave, an F12 will follow...but not until a perfectly calm and clear day!

ASP has the best low-power scale kits on the market today, as far as I'm concerned. My Super Loki Dart is the favorite of my fleet.

Cheers,
Michael

ASP has the best low-power scale kits on the market today, as far as I'm concerned. My Super Loki Dart is the favorite of my fleet.

Thanks for the kind words Michael! There are a lot of great kits out there, for you to say something that nice makes our efforts seem worthwhile... :)

The updates on the older kits are on-going (and there will be an updated Super Loki soon!) as well as several new kits we hope to be ready the first half of 2015... stay tuned!

Andy/ASP

Ahhhh, the 38mm large WAC is perfect for a MAD unit or conceiveably dual deploy with an accel/baro unit and an Archtype cable cutter.

The nosecone shoulder can be cut down by an inch, the nosecone coupler the fits into the bodytube, can be hardend and drilled to screw to the nosecone to make an ebay.

I have two of them both flying with the Galejs/Aerocon MAD unit. The Zeptomag unit would be even smaller. https://www.zeptobit.com/zeptomag-with-mounting-holes/ Kurt

Ahhhh, the 38mm large WAC is perfect for a MAD unit or conceiveably dual deploy with an accel/baro unit and an Archtype cable cutter.

The nosecone shoulder can be cut down by an inch, the nosecone coupler the fits into the bodytube, can be hardend and drilled to screw to the nosecone to make an ebay.

I have two of them both flying with the Galejs/Aerocon MAD unit. The Zeptomag unit would be even smaller. https://www.zeptobit.com/zeptomag-with-mounting-holes/ Kurt

I definitely want to make a booster for my larger WAC! DD will be a must. I like your concept.

Cheers,
Michael

I definitely want to make a booster for my larger WAC! DD will be a must. I like your concept.

Cheers,
Michael

I have been told that if one doesn't have good access to a static port, an accel/baro unit like a Raven will still work. I have a 1/4" hole in the coupler that's across from the green power LED of the Galejs MAD unit. I put the rocket on the pad, Pull the nosecone up and flick on the locking toggle switch. Confirm the green LED lights and lower the nosecone. Put in the igniter and launch.
If one went with a DD unit, the accel side could fire the apogee and with the static port out in the breeze the altimeter will be able to get accurate readings and fire the main (cutter) properly. Been toying with getting another one and trying it. Kurt

I have been told that if one doesn't have good access to a static port, an accel/baro unit like a Raven will still work. I have a 1/4" hole in the coupler that's across from the green power LED of the Galejs MAD unit. I put the rocket on the pad, Pull the nosecone up and flick on the locking toggle switch. Confirm the green LED lights and lower the nosecone. Put in the igniter and launch.
If one went with a DD unit, the accel side could fire the apogee and with the static port out in the breeze the altimeter will be able to get accurate readings and fire the main (cutter) properly. Been toying with getting another one and trying it. Kurt

Yeah...I am planning on using my Cable Cutter and I really like the idea of using the nose cone coupler as the AV bay. I'm still weighing my options for igniting the sustainer in a two-stage setup. I'd like to have the timer in the AV bay and use the conduit to run the wiring, but it might make more sense to build a second bay for the timer in the aft end of the sustainer ala Apogee's Aerobee concept...

Cheers,
Michael

Yeah...I am planning on using my Cable Cutter and I really like the idea of using the nose cone coupler as the AV bay. I'm still weighing my options for igniting the sustainer in a two-stage setup. I'd like to have the timer in the AV bay and use the conduit to run the wiring, but it might make more sense to build a second bay for the timer in the aft end of the sustainer ala Apogee's Aerobee concept...

Cheers,
Michael

Conduit should be workable but you would need to consider a robust socket and plug arrangement for the sustainer igniter that would disconnect when the apogee charge blows. Kurt

just finished the paint job and saw all these replies. I built my own wac with the tiny tim booster IMG_0556.jpg its a 54 mm on the booster with a 38mm on the wac . just going to use motor ejection on the booster and a adept stager for 2cd stage ignition and an alts for ejection, by the way heres my ASP Wac IMG_0604.jpg its a really nice kit and the price was right

Back