List Of Motors That Don't Require HAZMAT Charges To Ship

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopRamen

SA-5
Reaction score
I recently got some E20-4 Aerotech Motors, and was quite happy to see that there was no HAZMAT. In total, they cost me like $17 and Change.
Can we start a List of Motors that don't require HAZMAT?
Might be helpful to those of us that like to try to do Rockets on a Budget.
PLEASE No Links to Vendors or whatnot!!!, as some of them charge you $9.00 or more for shipping or more no matter what you are ordering.
Just a simple list of the Motors that ship like the E20-4 2 Pack with no HAZMAT.

Loki's up to I somethingoranother (with a few exceptions) ship hazmatless.

Later!

--Coop

Checking the list on Balsamachining as they tell you hazmat or not on each Aerotech motor.

Aerotech reloadable G Motors for the 29/40-120 are no hazmat. All the 24/40 are no hazmat. The Fs are hazmat because of 1 large grain instead of 2 small ones that you tape together on the Gs.

24mm F32 is also a good Single use.

Most of the 29mm HPR 29/180 29/240 29/360 do not need it either.

Among reloadables:

All AT 18 & 24mm loads.
All AT 29mm E's.
All AT 29mm G's EXCEPT the G138(N)T, G75J, and G25W.
All AT 29mm H's and I's EXCEPT the H97J.
All Loki 38mm G's.
All Loki 38mm H's.
All Loki 38mm I's EXCEPT the I110 and I430.

All hybrid motors.

Last edited:
Among reloadables:

All AT 18 & 24mm loads.
All AT 29mm E's.
All AT 29mm G's EXCEPT the G138.
All AT 29mm H's and I's.
All Loki 38mm G's.
All Loki 38mm H's.
All Loki 38mm I's EXCEPT the I110 and I430.

All hybrid motors.

AT H97J in the 29/240 case is hazmat

in Single Use-
24mm
E15w, E20w, E30T, F32T

29mm
F20w, F23FJ, F27R, F42T

All the Loadable Motor System motors are also hazmat free
F20w,F23FJ,F27r,F42T, G77r,G78G, G79W

You asked for no vendor links, but Sirius Rocketry has always done me right ordering and shipping motors, and the HazMat ones are clearly labeled throughout the website.

Last edited:
LDRS is a ways off, but you said you plan to go. Many vendors there. Usually prices are better on the website. You can pre-order and arrange to pick up at LDRS. No shipping fee or hazmat.

Here is the official non-hazmat shippable re-load & single use AT motor list PDF:

Any dealer can ship these non haz ground USPS....

View attachment 187241

Notice there are several high power H's and even the I-200!

Note this document is from 2010 so there may be more since then. I just keep this in my file to settle arguments....LOL

Last edited:
And most recently the H-130W for the 38/240 case and the I-180W for the 38/360 case.

Isn't this just a matter of propellant weight? If so, it would be easy to query for all motors with propellant weight < n (whatever n is) and that could be an attribute in ThrustCurve.org.

Isn't this just a matter of propellant weight? If so, it would be easy to query for all motors with propellant weight < n (whatever n is) and that could be an attribute in ThrustCurve.org.

32.5 g, and not a sparky-type propellant.

Not exactly. Some motors that have multiple propellant slugs that are each a bit less less than the weight limit that are packed separately in the reloadable motor package are also eligible.

Last edited:
From the USPS website: Mailable devices must meet each of the following conditions:

Each device must be ignitable by electrical means only.
Each device must contain no more than 30g (1.07 ounces) of propellant.
Each device must produce less than 80 newton seconds of total impulse with thrust duration not less than 0.050 second.
Each device must be constructed so that all chemical ingredients are preloaded into a cylindrical paper or similarly constructed nonmetallic tube that does not fragment into sharp, hard pieces.
Each device must be designed so that it will not burst under normal conditions.
Each device must be incapable of spontaneous ignition under 500° F.
Each device must not contain any type of explosive or pyrotechnic warhead other than a small, activation&#8211;charge, parachute&#8211;recovery system.

You can have 25 lbs of 30 grams and under propellant grains in one package and ship them USPS but can't ship 1- 31 gram grain.

There is a whole lot more to it than the last post .
You need to have a certain letter from the postmaster giving permission on file at the local post office. I'm on the road right now and don't know the specific one
Also it has to be marked in a certain way .
Also it cannot be shipped ups or fed ex without haz

For some reason the old Micro-Maxx Launch Sets that are sold on Amazon say they require Hazmat.
Odd, because the 6 packs do not.

Last edited:
For some reasong the old Micro-Maxx Launch Sets that are sold on Amazon say they require Hazmat.
Odd, because the 6 packs do not.

Perhaps they ship with a carrier other than the US Post Office ? The HAZMAT exemption only applies to the USPS and like Wildman said the shipper must have authorization and proper labeling.

All rocket motors regardless of size require hazmat fee if shipped by UPS, FedEx and any other commercial carrier that falls under DOT regulations. No exceptions.

Any single use motor, or reload with individually packaged propellant grains weighing not more than 30 grams each can be mailed by USPS ground if you have prior written permission from the US Postmaster Office. Certain packaging and labeling is required, and there is a weigh limit per box. The full requirements are in a rule book you can download from the USPS website.

Bob

Im at work now, but it's buried somewhere in here - https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/welcome.htm

341.22 Mailable Explosives

Toy Propellant Devices. The proper shipping name for a toy propellant device is “model rocket motor” or “igniters.” A toy propellant device assigned UN0454 or NA0323 and classed as a Division 1.4S explosive is eligible for mailing in domestic mail via surface transportation only when prior written permission has been obtained from the manager, Product Classification, USPS Headquarters, Washington, DC. A device approved for mailing is subject to the following conditions:

1. Each device must be ignitable by electrical means only; contain no more than 30 g (1.07 oz) of propellant; and produce less than 80 newton seconds of total impulse with thrust duration not less than 0.050 second.
  2. Each device must be constructed so that all chemical ingredients are preloaded into a cylindrical paper or similarly constructed nonmetallic tube that does not fragment into sharp, hard pieces; must be designed so that it will not burst under normal conditions of use; must be incapable of spontaneous ignition under 500° F; and must not contain any type of explosive or pyrotechnic warhead other than a small, activation–charge, parachute–recovery system.
  3. Each mailpiece containing approved devices must be prepared for mailing following Packaging Instruction 1A in Appendix C. A shipper’s declaration for dangerous goods is required.

USPS Packaging Instruction 1A

Toy Propellant Devices

The proper shipping name for a mailable toy propellant device is “model rocket motor” or “igniter.” A device that is assigned identification number NA0323 or UN0454 and classed as a Division 1.4S explosive is eligible for mailing in domestic mail via surface transportation only, provided that all requirements are met and the device is properly packaged as follows.

Proper Shipping Name and ID Number

• Model Rocket Motors, NA0323.
  • Igniters, UN0454.

Required Authorization

Prior written permission must be obtained from:
Manager, Product Classification
USPS Headquarters
475 L’Enfant Plaza SW, Room 4446
Washington, DC 20260

Mailability

• International Mail: Prohibited.
  • Domestic Mail: Permitted only via surface transportation with prior approval. Each device must meet the specifications in 341.22a.

Design Specifications

Mailable devices must meet each of the following conditions:
  • Each device must be ignitable by electrical means only.
  • Each device must contain no more than 30g (1.07 ounces) of propellant.
  • Each device must produce less than 80 newton seconds of total impulse with thrust duration not less than 0.050 second.
  • Each device must be constructed so that all chemical ingredients are preloaded into a cylindrical paper or similarly constructed nonmetallic tube that does not fragment into sharp, hard pieces.
  • Each device must be designed so that it will not burst under normal conditions.
  • Each device must be incapable of spontaneous ignition under 500° F.
  • Each device must not contain any type of explosive or pyrotechnic warhead other than a small, activation–charge, parachute–recovery system.

Required Packaging

Primary Receptacle
  • Each device must be packed in a securely sealed primary receptacle.
  • Multiple primary receptacles are permitted within a single mailpiece.
  • Each primary receptacle must be surrounded by sufficient cushioning material to absorb shock and prevent breakage.

Outer Shipping Container

• A strong outer packaging that is capable of firmly and securely holding the primary receptacle(s) and cushioning material is required.
  • Each mailpiece must not exceed a total weight of 25 pounds.

Marking

• Each outer packaging must be clearly marked on the address side with “Toy Propellant Devices,” followed by the applicable proper shipping name and UN or NA number. The markings “Surface Only” or “Surface Mail Only” and “Handle With Care” must also appear on the address side of the mailpiece. A DOT hazardous materials warning label must not be affixed.
  • A complete mailing address and return address must be used.

Documentation

• A properly completed shipper\u0027s declaration for dangerous goods must be prepared in triplicate and affixed to the outside of the mailpiece.

Note: Full responsibility rests with the mailer to comply with Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (BATFE) regulations before mailing. A legible photocopy of the Product Classification Manager\u0027s approval letter must be presented by the mailer to the Postal Service acceptance clerk at the time of mailing.

Bob

Here is a picture of the new non hazmat (if shipped properly by USPS) AT I180W and H130W reloads.

Lots of slices.

IMG_4388_zpsfsfrxflx.jpg

How's this for confusing. My MMX motors have this slip on the package, that uses the word "HAZMAT", yet they obviously are excluded from the HAZMAT fee, and don't have the 1.4 Explosives sticker. I was ofcourse only charged a few dollars for shipping.

Grey Scale Zero Print 2002-12-31 001.jpgGrey Scale Zero Print 2002-12-31 003.jpg

USPS ships a lot of different (allowable) Hazmat items, it is just without the charge that the other carriers want, and of course is very limited.

How's this for confusing. My MMX motors have this slip on the package, that uses the word "HAZMAT", yet they obviously are excluded from the HAZMAT fee, and don't have the 1.4 Explosives sticker. I was ofcourse only charged a few dollars for shipping.

View attachment 288299View attachment 288300
DOT sets the regulations for shipping. When you ship a hazardous material in commerce (by commercial carrier) there are DOT rules on packaging, labeling, marking, and documenting the shipment by the shipper and on insuring the package is prepared properly and racking the shipment by the commercial shipping company. All hazmat is actually checked by the shipper, and tracked throughout it shipment, and the truck transporting it must have proper markings as well. This process is really expensive, and that's why DOT allows the shipping companies to charge a hazmat fee to cover these costs.

The USPS sets the regulations for mailing items. They are not allowed to mail hazardous materials however they are allowed to reclassify small amounts of hazmat as not hazardous in their mailing system, hence no hazmat fee. That's what USPS Publication 52 is all about.

Bob

For the record, I was never intending this to be a thread to argue anything, but just to help folks like me know which ones are HAZ and which ones are not.
There have been a boatload of great responses, and the general theme has stayed relevant, so thank you everyone for the responses, and I hope this thread has been and continues to be educational.

Back when they were legal, I first learned about HAZMAT ordering "Bird Bombs" for my 37mm "Flare Gun".

Last edited:
This may be resurrecting a dead thread, but I've been doing some research on AT motors.
Aerotech HPR motors not requiring HAZMAT. The J motor, I think, is a pretty recent development.

29 mm
  • 100 case
    • G104T (High power due to impulse)
  • 180 case
    • H128W
    • H1655R
    • H238T
  • 240 case
    • H180W
    • H210R
    • H220T
    • H250G