ANDRAC Build: Goal is to deploy a Lander/Rover configuration.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's more about where to fly vs with whom ~ I need a nice flat-ish surface (as flat as reasonably expected in a field). I'm searching for a sod farm that will let me tread lightly on their field.

Anyone have thoughts on where in Texas (few hrs in any direction from Dallas-Ft. Worth) I might find such a haven?

Black Rock!

(OK, not exactly Texas but flat as a pancake and not too hard considering it's a dry lake bed. But close enough for us to get there to see it...)

OK, maybe not. But it was worth a try.

Gunter might not be the best during the next few months:

gunter.jpg

Maybe a Labor Day roadtrip to Argonia Kansas ?

Sam ... I like that idea. More than enough time to get the final loose ends tied up on the project (I know, It's been 1.5 years and going). I also still need to get my L2.

Think the club members would be up for a trip to make a launch weekend out of it?

Maybe. Couple of questions we'll have to answer (since I've not been there yet): What is the landing surface like at that time of year ? How good is 4G coverage in the outback of Kansas ?

Thanks, would love to fly there (perfect conditions) but there I have one very formidable Black Rock technical challenge: I need to have 4G LTE coverage to remote control the rover once it lands. From what I hear even radio static from the cosmos doesn't reach Black Rock.

Some of the BR regulars should chime in on this. Verizon cell signals get through now, but I don't what network they are running (3G or 4G or tin cans and string). Don't know about the other carriers. And it has been said that the lakebed is worse than other ground surfaces in messing with radio waves, so maybe you could phone home but the rover couldn't.

Problem? How is that a problem? HA!

This is fantastic!

Later!

--Coop

Glad the most imoortant aspect of the flight was achieved. Sorry that such a nice rocket was lost in the process, but it performed it's duty well.

Wish I could have made it out yesterday, but I do plan to be part of the DARS invasion of Hearne on the 11th.

I had to do a triple take on the title...

I thought you were going to deploy a Land Rover :p

You people never cease to amaze me, some of the stuff you come up with I couldn't even imagine. Very cool!!

Back