ANDRAC Build: Goal is to deploy a Lander/Rover configuration.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
VERY interesting project; good luck!

One question: Have you done a stability analysis? Seems like kinda small fins what with all that weight in the middle...

Building out the motor mount(s) ~ I want the option to fly 38 mm and 54 mm motors. I used 2 LOC Precision adapter kits to build out the multi-sized motor mount:

I had to build it in separate fore and aft sub-assemblies so I can clear the inner air-frame fin mounts. I had to bore out one of the CRs since I only had 2 collars; one used for joining the two halves:

View attachment 187756 View attachment 187757

The basic assembly and centering rings (dry fit):

View attachment 187758

Here is how I assembled the 54 mm to 38 mm adapter (the fore/aft center collar is not epoxied yet ~ dry fit for pix). I'm using flight system triggered recovery ejection charges so there won't be any issues using a custom retaining clamp:

View attachment 187759 View attachment 187760 View attachment 187761

The last adapter collar "clicks" flush into place, gives it a really nice finished feel!

View attachment 187762

I think I'm going to steal this design for a motor adapter of my own if you don't mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

It's not stealing, take what you like! I'm sure I'm not the first to use this method, and I've "borrowed" tons of info from RF that saved me a ton of :bang:!

I'm sure there's a few ideas from the forum that I've incorporated into my builds in the past. But this one here is a necessity for my pre L2 attempt. It's a 54mm motor mount but I would like to test it on a small 38mm motor just to make sure the rear deployment works out.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Incredible! This is one of the finest examples of giving the K.I.S.S. principle the finger, and I can't wait to see it fly. You are going to fly this thing in Gunter, right?

I think what I like most about this build is the mix of new methods (3D printing) and old school methods (cut a NC to make a shround, go to the hardware store and fab up some spring loaded pins, etc).

Looks awesome! You going to fly this at a DARS launch? I'd love to see this fly in person. :)

Back