FIX IT or BREAK IT

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REK

TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
I thought the name was appropriate, but if anyone has a better one, you are welcome to share it. The purpose to this build thread is to "test" not "prove", just exactly how strong the FIX IT epoxy clay is. So far there is only proof that it can survive up to mach 1, but has not really been pushed any further. Due to the clay's brittleness it can crack from three sources. First off is hard landings, the second is dropping the rocket, and third the fins hitting the ground first when coming down from a recovery. It is because of this weakness in the clay that it has been deemed inferior to other epoxies in terms of structual use.

The design will be simple utilizing a 28", 38mm hand layed fiberglass airframe that I made. I will be going with G-10 fiberglass fins. My recovery will use the tender descender along with using GPS and an altimeter (still deciding). My nose cone will be the new injection molded nosecones.

This build will be slow, but slightly faster than my other builds due to some of the parts being cheaper.

Should leave some pictures so this post wont look boring. Here is the glass tube I made not too long ago.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1413184863.588958.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1413184885.447442.jpg

Alexander Solis

TRA - Level 1
Mariah 54 - CTI RedLightning- I-100 - 6,345 Feet

I suspect it can handle a fairly high speed as long as it doesn't get too hot...my concern with the stuff is more it's brittleness and likelihood of cracking when it lands.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Oh cool, this oughta be interesting. What motor are you planning on using?

I am thinking on the J595 Blue Streak. That should be enough to get it up to Mach 2.

Alexander Solis

TRA - Level 1

I suspect it can handle a fairly high speed as long as it doesn't get too hot...my concern with the stuff is more it's brittleness and likelihood of cracking when it lands.

The clay is rated to withstand temperatures up to 500 degrees so I am not worried about heat.

I will be using a two foot parachute to avoid the hard landing and thus avoid the risk of getting the fillets cracked.

Alexander Solis

TRA - Level 1

Now that I have been told that many factors play into the rockets design and/or size. It could be possible that the fillets might not experience much if any aerodynamic loads, such as fin flutter etc.

Due to that shall I abort this project or do you guys want me to continue on? I need to know so that I do not waste my time and money on a project that isnt going to test it properly.

Alexander Solis

TRA - Level 1

I'd abort. The goal is sound but it's unlikely you can design a single definitive test.

I'd abort. The goal is sound but it's unlikely you can design a single definitive test.

I agree. You'd be best doing fin attachment tests without flying anything.

Don't let a vendetta drive your project. Fly something you want to fly, don't fly something as a "told you so!"

I agree. You'd be best doing fin attachment tests without flying anything.

I dont have the equipment nore the supplies to do that.

Alexander Solis

TRA - Level 1

I will continue this project, but now it will be as a for "fun" concept. Truth is I really dont have many HPR in my fleet. My Mariah 54 and Speedy Gonzales is all I have.

Alexander Solis

TRA - Level 1

FYI:

Alex all this has been done.The outcome was RocketPoxy.
I had a discussion with John O at last years MWP. His company Glenmarc Industries, has been making FixIt since the 1960's. The generic version he sells on his site. It's labeled under any name, any big box store wants, to claim as their own. Much like Bob Smith Hobby epoxies.,

originally for plumbing, HVAC, automotive repairs it cures rock hard so you can drill it,screw into it etc. Over time it found it's way into rocketry for other uses.

RocketPoxy was designed for rocket use specifically & has some flex 6-7% build it when cured, to handle hard hits. If ya want to total skinny on the whole process, just give him a call...he loves discussing all this stuff. He done epoxy for industrial uses & re-branding all his life.
It will save you a bunch of testing & time.... all of which his company has done with proper equipment.

Number on site.

I am also not saying RocketPoxy is the end all solution for rockets.... good stuff, I use & like it..... along with West Pro-line...JB Weld too.

AS most of us that have been building for years, we use many products for different applications. The new bees just have to find what works for them best.

https://www.glenmarc.com/

https://www.glenmarc.com/P1500.pdf

I'm not trying to put salt on your tail for this testing of yours, just telling you, it's all been done scientifically. So go have fun and good luck!

FYI:

Alex all this has been done.The outcome was RocketPoxy.
I had a discussion with John O at last years MWP. His company Glenmarc Industries, has been making FixIt since the 1960's. The generic version he sells on his site. It's labeled under any name, any big box store wants, to claim as their own. Much like Bob Smith Hobby epoxies.,

originally for plumbing, HVAC, automotive repairs it cures rock hard so you can drill it,screw into it etc. Over time it found it's way into rocketry for other uses.

RocketPoxy was designed for rocket use specifically & has some flex 6-7% build it when cured, to handle hard hits. If ya want to total skinny on the whole process, just give him a call...he loves discussing all this stuff. He done epoxy for industrial uses & re-branding all his life.
It will save you a bunch of testing & time.... all of which his company has done with proper equipment.

Number on site.

I am also not saying RocketPoxy is the end all solution for rockets.... good stuff, I use & like it..... along with West Pro-line...JB Weld too.

AS most of us that have been building for years, we use many products for different applications. The new bees just have to find what works for them best.

https://www.glenmarc.com/

https://www.glenmarc.com/P1500.pdf

I'm not trying to put salt on your tail for this testing of yours, just telling you, it's all been done scientifically. So go have fun and good luck!

So AVES aint the maker, just another sticker to claim it as their's? I'll shoot him a call.

I have just decided this will be a for "fun" project and not for any testing.

Alexander Solis

TRA - Level 1

Back